Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:38 PM
Default Layers and lots in CAW
I am making a world, and want to organize lots properly for better playability. My world will be divided into several areas, such as old town, modern community district (where the clubs and offices are), rich traditional suburb, a new suburb with sleek modern houses, starter homes area, beach district, mountain area, and farmlands. Is it better to create a separate layer for each area, or can I place all lots on one layer? (no objects will be placed on layers with lots).
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 8:59 PM
It's entirely up to you. The only objects that should preferably be placed on the same layer are trees, as they can be grouped. Apart from that, layers are for organization and do not have any impact upon performance, so organize as you see best.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g70enl

The EA worlds seem to have a layer per area- it looks like they had people working on individual areas on different computers, and then added all of these layers into one world to make the finished product. I like to work with lots on one layer, road signs on another, trees on another etc., but you can find your own way.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 6:35 AM
I am glad to hear that layers have zero impact on performance as I am miserable at using them. If I use them at all I start doing something in one and then move onto doing something that should be in another one. I totally have forgotten I am in the one layer as I have started something else. I guess some is how I build, in areas, so a street goes in then some lots, then another street, a retaining wall, new street, etc. So I jump all over the place and do not switch back and forth between layers.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 11:47 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 12:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The only objects that should preferably be placed on the same layer are trees, as they can be grouped. Apart from that, layers are for organization and do not have any impact upon performance, so organize as you see best.
The EA worlds seem to have a layer per area- it looks like they had people working on individual areas on different computers, and then added all of these layers into one world to make the finished product. I like to work with lots on one layer, road signs on another, trees on another etc., but you can find your own way.

Thanks for the reply!
I have read about grouping trees in many CAW tutorials, but never about grouping lots; and, yes, all EA worlds do have these layers per area, this is why I decided to ask. I actually prefer to have separate layers for districts, but also layers like Large Deco, Road Deco, Small Deco, Spawners, Street Lights - grouped by theme, so I know what is where.
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 7:21 PM
I totally agree with the comments above. I always try to keep trees, flowers, and bushes together so they can be "grouped". Other than that it really doesn't matter. But, the advantage of keeping all lots together on the same layer is that it gives you an easy way to keep track of how many lots you have - something important if you plan to upload the world/neighborhood. (I do usually keep houseboats and ports together on a separate layer but they're easy to add to the total.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 9:03 PM
It is nice that we can move some things from layer to layer. I have done some cleanup for some items. Not much, but some.
Scholar
#8 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 12:21 AM
I have enough of the Perfectionist trait that I have to have everything in the correct layer. I'm not sure if you can move lots from layer to layer though. I've never tried / had to.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Oct 2017 at 6:30 AM
I tried and lots would not move. Was able to move some other things though which was nice.