Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 2:17 AM
[beginner] What does this mean?
I'm messing around with some meshes in Milkshape to try and understand meshing and textures a bit better before attempting a S4-3 conversion project. I've converted a few bits before but I'm still an absolute beginner when it comes to anything out of the ordinary

I've not seen this before - what's going on here? Why is it so outsize and doesn't align with the textures at the top?

Apologies if this is a stupid or obvious question, I'm still learning!

EDIT: didn't attach pictures
Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:13 PM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 18th Oct 2017 at 3:15 PM. Reason: Shouln't have pressed enter so fast! :P
hrm to me it looks like you might have accidentally scaled it? What happens if you re-export the mesh?
Have you looked at it in the 3D render viewer in Milkshape? (the blue window thingy) to see how the texture looks like on the mesh? Sometimes UV maps like that have a reason for being repetitive
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
hrm to me it looks like you might have accidentally scaled it? What happens if you re-export the mesh?
Have you looked at it in the 3D render viewer in Milkshape? (the blue window thingy) to see how the texture looks like on the mesh? Sometimes UV maps like that have a reason for being repetitive

Thanks for responding!

I definitely haven't scaled it (I tried re-exporting the mesh and it's the same + other meshes I've exported have the same issue) and the textures look as it should in the viewer. I've attached a screenshot if that helps.

I've not worked with S4 meshes before so I was wondering if it was a trait of the objects I'm exporting but not all have had this issue and I've managed to successfully convert the ones that don't so I have no idea how to approach this one :/
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 12:28 PM
Hrm weird question, but were those all the textures the buildings had? Although looking at them I think it's just that EA did this on purpose. like I mentioned, when an uvmap is outside the borders of the map, it will mean that it will repeat itself Now for ts3 that's not really a recommended way of doing things, especially if you're planning on using the mesh for ts3 CAW or just world editor/a rabbit hole or shell.

If in your case you wanna create a CAW object, etc. then I'd try remapping it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 2:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Hrm weird question, but were those all the textures the buildings had? Although looking at them I think it's just that EA did this on purpose. like I mentioned, when an uvmap is outside the borders of the map, it will mean that it will repeat itself Now for ts3 that's not really a recommended way of doing things, especially if you're planning on using the mesh for ts3 CAW or just world editor/a rabbit hole or shell.

If in your case you wanna create a CAW object, etc. then I'd try remapping it

Thanks so much for responding. I think you're right. I am converting to use in CAW so I'll try remapping. Do you know of a good tutorial for this?
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 24th Oct 2017 at 3:44 PM
Hrm for milkshape it's kind of hard to find a proper uvmapping tutorial. I know this one is... not exactly perfect but could be helpful:

or this one:

However with Milkshape, it doesn't really support uvmapping. It's quite limited, which is why I rather do it with Blender or maya or... another 3D program/uvmapping program
For blender, this is a really nice one:

I hope this is helpful!