Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 3:00 AM
Default Castaway Stories conversions – recolours
I have two questions related to recolours. I plan to make some shrubs recolours, and that would involve shrubs conversions from CS. Would it be fine to upload them here at MTS, or is it not allowed and I’d have to stick to sharing the TS2 shrubs recolours only? And while I’m at it, would it be fine to upload a lot containing those conversions? If so, what about including them?
The other question is about CEP extras. I guess it must be possible to enable a custom object for recolouring (I’d like to do it for a plant conversion), but I haven’t found any tutorials. Is there one, or at least a short instruction?

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
I have two questions related to recolours. I plan to make some shrubs recolours, and that would involve shrubs conversions from CS. Would it be fine to upload them here at MTS, or is it not allowed and I’d have to stick to sharing the TS2 shrubs recolours only?

In the creator guidelines, you can read this (it's a quote) :
"Converted game content: You can freely modify sims game meshes and textures for use in any sims game, and EA doesn't seem to mind conversions of sims game/store content. However, you may not use meshes and textures from any other game to make Sims content to upload without permission from the original creator - i.e. the company that made the game you're taking pieces from."

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 7:46 PM
Oh - that must have been changed inadvertently. Although conversions from Stories to TS3 or TS4 are fine, and conversions from TSM to TS2 or TS4 are also fine, we don't allow conversions from Stories to TS2 or TSM to TS3. When we did that, we got legal threats from EA.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 9:11 PM
Thanks for the info If ‘pure’ conversions aren’t fine, would a modified mesh OK? For example, I really like the CS grass, I basically place it everywhere in my main save, but if I edited the mesh and recoloured it (with added a CEP extra when I find out how to do it), would that be allowed? After all it’d be modified content.

Simblr
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 9:46 PM
Yeah, that should be fine, as long it's a meaningful modification, and not something like "I changed the category and moved a vertex six inches to the left so it wouldn't count as a straight conversion!"

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Dec 2016 at 10:50 PM
I was thinking about making it thicker, and add a groundless version that works on hills + a 2x2 one.

Simblr
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Dec 2016 at 11:45 AM
I decided to make a brand new mesh that will be similar to the CS grass and use its textures (modified to fit my UV map, and probably blended with something; someone advised that given that it’s a simple mesh it isn’t difficult to recreate [and I think it will be a good practice in meshing], and making it from scratch will let me conveniently create a nice new UV map), but won’t be a carbon copy (it wouldn’t even be possible unless I went and copied the positions of every single vertex), so the problem with the grass is solved. However, I have a similar question related to terrain paints from CS – I want to make 1024x1024 versions of them, would that be fine? I guess it would but it’s better to ask than find out later that I guessed wrong.

Simblr