Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 8:57 AM Last edited by Avarici_SC : 29th Aug 2009 at 10:46 PM.
Default Chapter 6

Jake couldn't help but smile as he walked down the hall towards his friends. Susie saw him coming and waved.
“Hey Jake what took you so long?”
“Ran into Kevin. Since our parents are driving Aaron and Eric up to SSU this weekend we have the house to ourselves.”
“Sweet!” Susie shouted.
Dori laughed. “Let me guess you're throwing a party?” Jake rolled his eyes and sat down next to Susie.
“No, but Kevin is. I figured he would so I was planning on spending the weekend in my room.”
“Like you do every weekend until we drag you out with promises of ice cream?” Susie asked nudging him with her elbow.
“Pretty much. But, he said it was an exclusive party and we're not invited. He demanded that I stay away.”

Susie's eyes lit up. “Demanded?
“Yup.”
“So we're crashing it!?” She grinned wickedly.
“Hell yes!”
“Awesome!” Dori cried.
“You'd think Kevin would know better.” Susie added rolling her eyes.
“You'd think.” Jake smiled. “So are you coming Nova?” He hoped he didn't sound as desperate as he felt. She flinched and nearly dropped the orange she was trying to peal, then set it on the floor beside her before answering.
“I . . . I don't know.”

“Come on!” Susie slid across the floor stopping in front of Nova's knee as Dori perched in front of the other one.
“It'll be fun! Our first high school party!”
“I . . . I'd just feel out of place. Nobody would want me there.”
“Nobody wants any of us there, we're Freshmen, that's the point.” Susie said with a smirk.
“It's just . . . I . . . I've never actually been to a party. I mean not since first grade anyway.”
Dori rolled her eyes and patted Nova's leg. “All the more reason to go!”
Nova sighed and clenched her fists.
“It's been a long week and I just don't think I can handle anymore staring!” She hung her head and blushed causing her cheeks to turn a reddish brown.

“Nova,” Dori practically whispered, “why didn't you just say so?” Nova shrugged.
“If you need me to knock some sense into our classmates I'd be more that happy to do it.” Susie shook her fist threateningly. Nova shook her head.
“Don't worry Nova,” Jake said. “No one's gonna be looking at you. Susie's . . . ensembles . . . are always the center of attention.”
“It's true. I do go a little overboard for parties.” She smiled proudly.
“We'll only be there long enough to sufficiently annoy my brother and then we'll go to Dairy Queen or something.”

She sighed and was quiet for several seconds before finally answering.
“Okay, I guess I'll come.”
“Nice! Now the question is what to wear?” Oh my gosh, girl talk. Jake did his best to tune them out by focusing intently on his chicken sandwich. He pulled back the bun and stared at the breaded chicken patty. He wondered if Kevin's deceleration of how much better everything was in high school applied to the frozen food. He put the sandwich back together and took a bite. Nope. Pretty much the same level of tastelessness. His stomach rumbled and he decided he was more hungry than disgusted and quickly devoured it.

He was very annoyed when the bell rang and his three friends were still talking about clothes. Though he couldn't resist smiling at the way Nova beamed when Susie and Dori offered to take her shopping after school.
“See you tomorrow Jake,” Susie nudged him with her elbow as the four of them walked down the hall, “unless you want to go shopping with us.”
He stopped and let the three girls take a step ahead of him. “Hell no. I'll call you later with the details.”

Nova couldn't get home fast enough. Once she reached her block she ran the rest of the way and grabbed the phone before skidding to a stop in the kitchen. She quickly dialed her mother's work number and began pacing.
“Hello?” Crystal answered.
“Hi Mom.”
“Nova? What's wrong? Are you hurt? I was just about to leave I'll be home as soon as I can!”
“Mom I'm fine!”
“Oh. Why are you calling me at work?” Nova took a deep breath and explained the situation as fast as she could.

“Jake is throwing a party this weekend, he's one of my new friends and at first I didn't want to go but then Susie and Dori talked me into it, they're my other new friends, and we were talking about what to wear and they decided to go shopping and they invited me to go with them and they wanted to go to IHOP after since it's just across the street from the Walmart, that's where we're going because Dori doesn't have any money to spend right now because her dad lost his job, but Susie said if they went somewhere cheap she'd pay which I thought was really nice, but I need to know if it's okay to go because they want to leave as soon as possible and they're waiting for me to call them back and tell them, and I have some money I've saved from doing chores and babysitting so can I go?” She finished and took several frenzied breaths.
“Uh . . . I'm not quite sure what exactly you said, but I think it was something about shopping with your friends and IHOP right?”

“Yes. Can I go!?”
“Sure but-”
“THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!”
“It's a school night so be home by . . . eight? Does that sound reasonable?”
“YES!” She squealed into the phone. “You're the best mom EVER! Love you bye.” She didn't wait for her mother's goodbye but hung up the phone and dialed Susie's number as fast as her fingers would let her.
“Hello?”
“Hi is Susie there?”
“Nova?”
“Susie! She said I could go.”
“Sweet we'll be at your house in five minutes!”
“Okay!”
Nova hung up the phone, ran down stairs, and yanked open her night stand. She opened up a small jewelry box, took out fifty dollars, and shoved it in her pocket. She ran back up the stairs and stood at the window for the longest five minutes of her life.

“Who's gonna do my hair?” Amy asked their mother sadly as she stared at her spaghetti. Jake rolled his eyes.
“I'm sure you'll be fine for two days.” Their mother sighed.
“No I wont. Kevin's bossy.”
“Don't worry sweetie,” their dad chimed in, “we'll call every night to check up on you.”
“Why can't I just go with you!?” She whined.
“We aren't going to get to see Aaron and Eric for a long time so we want to spend some quality grown up time with them.”
“And no Amy,” Eric began, “you can't even act your age so there's no way you can act grown up.”
“Eric.” Sarah warned. “Amy,” she continued in the same tone, “We're done talking about this and if I even here so much as a whisper about this from you you'll be in your room the rest of the night. Do you understand?”
“Yes Ma'am.” She sighed mournfully.

“So,” Sarah turned to Kevin, “Are you throwing a party while we're gone?” He stared intently at his dinner and kicked Jake under the table.
“I dunno.” He shrugged and looked up at their mother with his poker face. “I was thinking about inviting the guys over Saturday afternoon to watch a movie or something.”
She sighed. “How many of the guys. I really don't want the entire team over here eating me out of house and home. The four of you do that pretty well on your own.”
He shrugged again. “I dunno Joe and Derek, maybe Steve. Probably not though, he's been a real jacka- um jerk lately.” He corrected himself and grinned at his mother. Aaron and Eric simultaneously shoveled food in their mouths to disguise their laughter. Jake shook his head in disgust at how easily Kevin lied to their parents.
“Three is alright I guess. What about you Jake?”

“Oh yeah,” he said with as much sarcasm as he could manage, “wild party.”
“Are you inviting the girls over?” Their dad asked with a bit more edge than necessary.
“You mean are they inviting themselves over?” He shrugged. “Probably.”
“A slumber party!!” Aaron shouted. “You should paint each others nails.”
“And braid each others hair!” Eric added enthusiastically.
“And talk about boys!”
“And have pillow fights!”
“How do you guys know what girls do at sleepovers?” Amy asked accusingly with a glare. “Have you ever been to one?”
“So,” Sarah interjected, “where is this wild party happening?”
“Not in my room.” He announced while trying to banish the image of Susie and Dori having a pillow fight on his bed. Dad nodded in approval. When Aaron and Eric started high school his parents made a no girls in bedrooms rule. But his dad seemed more paranoid about Jake's friends than his brothers' girlfriends for some reason.
“Susie's house.” He decided. “Her mom will be home.” Both parents seemed satisfied with that answer.

“Hey Mom,” though Kevin was addressing their mother he smirked at Jake, “did Dad tell you about Jake's new friend?”
Jake froze and felt the blood drain from his face.
“No.” She said slowly as she glared at her husband. “Chris?”
“You had a migraine yesterday and I just got home.” He answered quickly.
She is really something else.” Kevin was grinning like a Cheshire cat.
“She?” Mom asked with a small smile.
Jake felt all the blood rush back to his face as heat spread from the back of his neck to the tips of his ears.
“She's green.” Aaron announced.
“Half alien or something.” Eric added.
“That's . . . unique.” She looked at Jake to confirm or deny the accusation.
The heat continued to spread and he was on his feet before he had time to think better of it.

“Yeah, okay, she's green!” He shouted. “I don't understand why her skin color has to be her defining feature!” Somewhere in the back of his mind Jake realized he was overreacting, that he should just sit down and shut up before he really made and idiot of himself. He also knew there was no way to stop the hurricane of words flying out of his mouth. “Does anyone in this ass backwards town even care that she's a person? That she has feelings? That she's smart? That she watches T.V., and eats dinner with her family like everyone else!? No! She's just some walking, talking freak show exhibit for everyone to stare at and make fun of.”
“Jake,” his mom began gently.
“I'm going for a walk.” He turned and headed for the door.
“When will you be back?” Chris asked.
“Later.” He ground out.
“It's a school night!” Sarah reminded him. His hand was on the door nob when he heard Kevin quietly finish his earlier statement as if he were simply stating that the sky was blue.
“He really likes her.”

Rici says: Yay! An update finally!!! I was suddenly struck with inspiration this morning. Well technically yesterday since it's 2 am. I was really stuck with this one for a long time (obviously) and this morning it just started writing itself. I honestly had no idea where it was going but I like the direction that it's taking! Well I'm off to bed and as always please let me know if you find any grammar or spelling weirdness.

P.S. Picture number 6 looks like a bunch of runway models. But I was so done with taking pictures at that point I just don't care. ^_^
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 8:25 PM
I LUB IT!! ^_^ I like where it's going too.
Test Subject
#28 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 10:57 PM
This is AWESOME! You need to finish it though. I can't wait to read more.
Test Subject
#29 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 2:44 PM
Ooo! Exellent! Keep it up please!

(off topic) Yay, I'm the first repy in 2 weeks

CRABS ARE OUR FRIENDS
-----------------------------
Please, call me mo.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 7:38 PM
a little note:
I HAVE HAVE SUSIE'S SHIRT! ;D
and it is awesome.
great update, by the way

I want to go back to believing in Everything and knowing Nothing at all...
My DeviantArt... =]

Parasites in Paradise - The perfect world. Yeah, not so much.
Test Subject
#31 Old 9th Oct 2009 at 8:19 PM
Really enjoying this story and I can't wait to read the rest!!
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 10th Oct 2009 at 2:39 AM
Awesome story, it's great! Can't wait for more chapters.
Scholar
#33 Old 11th Oct 2009 at 12:08 PM
Wow, this is really good. Just read it today and I'm really looking forward to the rest.
Where did you get Amy's clothes from the dinner scene in chapter six?

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Page 2 of 2