Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 10:01 PM Last edited by Ibce : 1st Dec 2011 at 7:18 AM.
Default Some questions: tomb ones, a firefighting pole one and a mod one
I am building a house for myself and I ran into an idea/experience shortage and need to borrow some. The idea is to have a small two-room tomb in the house, one room where
3w22222222222222222222222222222222
^thats my kitty saying hi
where all sorts of 'magical' skill items go - the store spellbook, the transfiguration case and the chemistry table atm, mb something else. The second room would be an inside mausoleum with the family members and their pets. For the trigger to the next room I thought it would be cool to place the urn of the dynasty founder into the first room and having the mausoleum door unlocked/unhidden by mourning over her. So, first question is - can the urn of a sim be set as a "mourning trigger" or can only the "remains" from buydebug menu be set as that? I know this list says that any remains can be set as trigger but I'm a bit confused if any means any form of them (urn, tombstone, sceleton) from buydebug or any kind of them in game.

^That's the preamble.
Anyways, the "door" to the first room will be a hidden staircase. And the only fitting idea from my inexperienced-with-tomb-building point of view would be to have a bookcase to what a specific book should be added. As townies will probably have to raid the first non-tomb level of the basement I wouldn't want to lock the basement away from them (or locking then unlocking, that's a hassle). So, the questions: can the bookcase be set to trigger unhide action per not placing ANY book, but a specific one? If yes, how? I'm guessing I'd need the processor to do so. If no, I'm open to any fitting ideas on what should be the trigger. Another moment was placing the triggers to make the staircase back to hidden and the door to the mausoleum locked/hidden. For first I thought that placing a hidden trigger panel in front spiral staircase that leads from the first floor to the first level of the basement. However, a more appealing is the idea to do some kind of interaction in the first tomb room that activates the hide action after a small period of time - so that the sim can walk the stairs and have them close behind her.
For locking/hiding the door to mausoleum the only trigger i could thought of was taking the urn into the mausoleum and to hide/unlock the door placing it back on its display. I am not a big fan of that idea and I'd like to have more options and my brain is squished already. Help!

Second question and third one a joined a bit and are about the childs/children room. I thought it'd be cool for the kid/s to have a firefighting pole in their room along with the normal spiral staircase. But I can't remember if the pole can actually be used by child-aged sims? Last question (or not last one, if i ever remember the one i forgot while typing this wall of text..): how can I make a mod that changes how hampers (all hampers, cc ones too preferably) intersect with spiral stairs? I tried placing a hamper in the spot behind the stairs, it looks good placed with mo on, and I'd imagine that sim picking up the laundry would look ok too judging by the height at which the curve of the stair could chomp on the sim's head. I was however unable to get my sim to pick up the laundry since the hamper was standing in the grid of the stairs. I thought it might be possible to change the matter somehow, so that the sims are not bothered by the hamper standing in that grid, but by looking through laundry related xml's I fried my already squished brain was unable to find something that would help with it. My guess is anyway that it requires a scripting mod of some sorts and the noob modder in me would require some guidance. I have very basic knowledge of tuning mods.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help. I'll be back in 8-10 hours if you have any questions to that wall of text above.

UPD: I should add that the idea of the tomb is for it not to be a tomb for an explorer, but a set of two hidden rooms that look as normal as they can look, but contain a trigger (how many times I said this word?) to reveal further rooms. So I'm not so keen at boulders, rubble piles, hole in walls and traps to be there. Slightly more accepting about the floor switches and switches that should have statues (or the crate/bookcase/something else from this site) pushed on. It's still rather meh. Also a bit more accepting is a sarcophagus in the magic room, mb.

UPD2: Remains of a sim can be set to be a trigger and the firefighting pole is useable.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2011 at 11:34 AM
This is just way too complicated for my little brain. Could you post it more to the point and in 2 sentences only? If it's more then 1 problem use numbers infront of the 2 sentences. Don't make the sentences very long. If you have pics my visual brain would be soooo happy. :P
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 11:19 AM
Now I know how people feel when I try to explain them something when I know perfectly what I mean and want.

Agreeing with volvenom, that is just way too complicated for mah little brain to digest at once.

Maybe some pics, drawings, something, and perhaps a bulletpoint list on what you wanna include might help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 9:13 PM
Yay, replies!
Sorry, my ear was (still is, actually) inflammed and, it seems I skipped more commas than I should have .
Sorry for that. I'll rewrite the part I still need help with.

That would be the tomb under the house I am building for my next gameplay session. The purpose of the tomb is creating two (seemingly) hidden rooms, and not a tomb for exploration like the landmark tombs in WA are. So, first secret room is a magic/voodoo styled room where I want to place the spellbook from store, chemistry table from Generations, that, with a bit of imagination, can be made into an alchemy station, and maybe transfiguration case(s) from WA.
The second room is sort of a graveyard, or, more correctly a mausoleum under the house.
Both room's are located on the second level of the basement, whereas on the first one is a party room and a nectar cellar joined with it. And a laundry room that isn't joined with it.
To access the magic room the sim needs to reveal a hidden staircase and go down it. To access the mausoleum there will be a door, that will either be locked (WA locked, not locked how you can do through live mode on each door) or it will be a hidden door. I like the idea with the locked door more at the moment. I thought, when my generation founder dies (I play somewhat legacy-style), I'd place the urn of her (I play female sims exclusively) on a stand in the magic room. And the sim who wants to enter the mausoleum has to mourn over the urn.
I need some ideas on how to hide the staircase and lock the door after the sim leaves the rooms and help on whether a certain idea is possible. Here is a list of (probably) all possible triggers and activated behaviors.
The questions:
1. How to reveal the hidden staircase? I have the idea, but I have no idea whether it's possible or, if it is possible, how. The idea is to have a bookcase in the party/cellar or laundry room and to reveal the hidden staircase the sim has to place a specific book into it. Or, not place, but take out, both is fine.
2. Hiding the staircase after sim goes up it. y
My first idea was placing the "hidden trigger panel" in front of the staircase on the first level of the basement (the laundry room or cellar/party room), but it is also triggered when the sim has to go down the staircase and closes it before she can go down it. So the second idea is have sim interaction in the magic room that activates the hide action after a small period of time - so that the sim can walk the stairs and have them close behind her. Is it possible and if yes - how?
3. Locking the door to the mausoleum after sim exits it.
Quote:
For locking (or hiding) the door to the mausoleum the only trigger i could think of was first taking the urn into the mausoleum and then to unlock the door placing it back on its display. I am not a big fan of that idea.

So, I need inspiration on what to use as a trigger.
4. I also need two interactions to unlock each room from the room itself in case i accidentally lock the sims in them (if the trigger's for stairs hiding and door locking are in the room, which I'm unsure about - I like it for them to be able to perform magic and mourn over the dead alone, with the rooms inaccessible for the rest of active household (and for guests too), but sometimes I feel like I'm interpreting too much into it..)

Basically I need fitting ideas on what to use as triggers + the highlighted questions in 1. and 2.
Since the idea is to have secret rooms and not tomb for exploration:
Quote:
I'm not so keen at using boulders, rubble piles, holes in walls and traps to be there.
(and at wells too )
Quote:
Slightly more accepting about the floor switches

but it should be hidden too and that would require an additional trigger too reveal and that's.. well
Quote:
Also a bit more accepting is a sarcophagus in the magic room, mb.

It seems that searching the sarcophagus only can trigger open door interaction, I checked it.

As for pictures, I don't have any yet as so far I was busy fiddling with the roof of the house, so I only have the shell of the house and one level of the basement done.

Thank you in advance.
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 3:55 PM
OK, this is starting to make a lot more sense now, thank you

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can, and am sure that what I miss can be covered by another member.

1. using a book to be placed/taken off from a bookcase only works if you make a script mod that allows you to do so and link it to the interaction. Don't ask me how But it is not possible without mods. (afaik)

2. How about you put two triggers in a row, so that when the sim goes towards the stairs, the first trigger hides them and the second sets them visible. This all happens in a flash, I think? If the stairs are already hidden, the first trigger takes no action, but the second makes them visible. Just a thought on how it could possibly be done, I have not tested it myself.

3. With this one, I would use the above trick, if it works.

4. For general triggers, I prefer the torches.

Hopefully at least a part of this reply is useful to you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Dec 2011 at 12:09 PM
Thank you very much =))
1. Are there any mods already available for this or?
2. I tested it, works really good, tyvm =)) I will see how to bring it in, as it took me longer to build the shell, so I still haven't even got to actually building the second basement level other than for testing
3. Sigh, I was disappointed when I noticed how limiting ea tomb building tools are..
I thought about stashing a couple of Escape Dust bags or Ninja vanish potions in the last room to be used for that. But both of them only work outside of the house >_> Y U DO THIS EA? Can't a sim get trapped in their own house? D:
Tried to change that via tuning a file, but well.. I guess, it probs requires a scripting mod, which is above my knowledge for now.
Just a small rant, heh.. I also thought about using eye of horus and placing one of the eyes in the house somewhere and carrying it with one of the sims. Or pretend the trapped sim phones another family member if existent and she lets the trapped one out. Or try your trick =)) I gotta build first, I guess.
4. I was a bit hesitant about them, because of.. hm.. my ocd? XD
Anyways, the torch from all unusual triggers would fit best with the theme of the two secret rooms.
Thank you =))
P. S. I love your creations =)) I mean.. I adore them =3