Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#51 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 2:59 PM
Would you mind getting a shot of just the house, street view? From the angle you've got it, I can't see it straight on.

Also, you're not allowed more than one shot for the bedroom, unless you use them as your bonus pictures, in which case it's fine if you collage them, although you're only allowed two pictures collaged together. So, fix your pics and state what CC you used, if any.

Here's a heads up, guys! There is only 1 day and 1 hour until the round closes! If I don't get the minimum amount of applications by then, I'll be forced to extend the deadline up to another week: but this means we'll only be able to get through 3 or 4 rounds, unless beeps is willing to extend the deadline of the contest.

2 more people are needed to finish up the plans list, and then we need 7 entries.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 8:11 AM
Made changes, added bonus pics. Had to demolish a wall that kept getting in the way to take the new master bedroom pic, but I didn't save changes. Small houses are complex to photograph. And not installing CC helps in not using CC, but that is stated as well now.

Hope you get one more contestant by the time.
Test Subject
#53 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 8:34 AM Last edited by GloamingMerle : 22nd Sep 2010 at 4:44 AM.
Default Application Round - GloamingMerle
Original Concept Art

Bonus Pic #1 Aerial View

Street View

1st Floor

2nd Floor

3rd Floor!?

For some reason there is no 3rd floor included in the website floor plans, but in the concept art you can clearly see the 3rd floor so I added one.

Bedroom

Bathroom w/ Bonus Pattern

The bathroom is rather cramped, and has these weird walls dividing the plumbing. I tried to utilize the mirror to show as much as the bathroom as I could in one shot. Also, I just LOVE that pattern!

Kitchen

Had to use an extreme fish-eye lens in order to get the most of this shot. It looks a little funny, but it gives you the idea. You can also catch a glimpse of the dining room from here!

Livingroom

This looks like a fire waiting to happen, if the Sims 3 fireplaces are anything like the Sims 2 fireplaces, which is why there's a fire alarm installed. :D

Diningroom Bonus Pic #2

Spare shot, just because I like how the dining area came out.

Teen Bedroom Bonus Pic #3

I used 8 pieces of CC in this lot.
Scholar
#54 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:43 AM Last edited by suzetter : 21st Sep 2010 at 3:13 AM.
Default House Plan #TDH-HDS-4008 (Eastwood)
Well, that was certainly challenging as I don't usually build from floor plans. It was fun to do and I now have a nice big, new, Sim house. The house is one story and spread out so I created it on a 30x40 lot to have a backyard and lawn that was in a proportion suitable to the house. I used 3 pieces of cc - the living room sofa, the living room chairs, the window over the counter in the kitchen.

ORIGINAL FLOOR PLAN AND ARTIST RENDERING:

OVERVIEW OF HOUSE I CREATED:

FRONT VIEW:

LIVING ROOM:

MASTER BEDROOM:

KITCHEN: (stainless Steel Appliances):

BATHROOM: (Kids shared bathroom):

STUDY and FAMILY ROOM (2 Rooms)

DINING ROOM

Master Bathroom

Bonus Pattern:

I used this in the bathroom by the LIving Room. I used it "as is" on the hand towels, changed colors and reversed the Color & White on the wash clothes, the walls/tile floor/back of shower are a muted pale version of the original color.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
The other one
#55 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 12:07 PM Last edited by missroxor : 18th Sep 2010 at 7:40 AM.
The Micro Modern

Original Plans can be found here: http://www.houseplans.com/817-squar...0-garage-(34825)

Street View
Plans
The micro modern reatures the following:
- Open plan kitchen, diner and living room
- A Master Suite comprising a double bedroom, built in wardrobe, Master Bathroom and a small but private patio
- 2nd Bedroom with built in wardrobe
- Family bathroom
- Designer/Artist's Studio (Outbuilding)
- Pool with water feature
- Outdoor eating area with fire place
- 2x bike racks
- 1x car port

I have kept the furniture in the same layout as the plans put changed some colours and added some bits and bobs to make it look more lived in.

Bonus #1 - Back View
Living Room
Kitchen
Master BedroomThis room features the bonus pattern on the wall, painting and dress.
Master Bathroom
Bonus #2 - 2nd Bedroom
Bonus #3 - Outdoor Eating Area
Bonus #4 - Pool and Water Feature

I used 12 bits of CC:
5x windows, 1x painting, 1x bar stool, 1x shower, 1x blinds, 1x cushions, 1x fireplace and 1x tile pattern (I made that myself though, does it still count as CC?

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Field Researcher
#56 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 2:19 PM
I'd update mine but made the mistake of trying to patch earlier today.... still reinstalling and lost the house in the process so my entry will have to do for now.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 3:47 PM
I take it applications will be open for a while longer? Because I could really use some more time to finish my entry, although I could quickly cobble something together to finish it off if necessary.. :D

Excuse me, but I just have to explode.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#58 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sandymdh
I'd update mine but made the mistake of trying to patch earlier today.... still reinstalling and lost the house in the process so my entry will have to do for now.

I feel your pain. I had the same issue with my patch...got a base game is incompatible with expansion pack error and the loader would not actually load. Instead of uninstalling and reinstalling, I just patched manually. Worked like a charm!

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#59 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 5:16 PM
Sorry for taking so long, guys. I didn't wake up until 11:15 to begin with! I never sleep that late anymore. Anyway, since I do not have enough applicants, the contest has been extended until we either get enough applications, or until next Tuesday.

For now, contestants may make any changes they wish.

Lab Assistant
#60 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven_sent_8_18
I feel your pain. I had the same issue with my patch...got a base game is incompatible with expansion pack error and the loader would not actually load. Instead of uninstalling and reinstalling, I just patched manually. Worked like a charm!

I had a combo of that and the QtCore4.dll shenanigans, and the morning after I said I'd do this! Google helped with the later, explaining that it was the EA Downloader that needed re-installation, and this site, as usual (love MTS!), helped with the patch versions not working. I was very much relieved at not having to uninstall and reinstall, again! I try to keep the re-installations to just when new expansions come out.

As for the contest, the other entries look good. I was tickled to see someone liked my plan ans switched theirs. The pattern surprised me, I'd never used it before because of the swatch looking too bright (like most of the "masonry" options), but with the right combinations, I liked it.
Forum Resident
#61 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 9:01 PM
Oh these are so awesome... Missroxor you best be uploading that house :D

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Scholar
#62 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 9:22 PM
Wow, I'm waiting for the cable guy at my sister's house right now and on her PC everything looks so much lighter and brighter. I better check my monitor when I get home. I was up last night finishing --I didn't realize we had an extension. There certainly is a wide variety within this style. I also stayed away from that pattern previously because the color was so bright. However, the pattern itself is not bad and its interesting to see how its used and recolored.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#63 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:00 PM
It's hard to remember sometimes, at least for me, that I don't have to keep the pattern the same color that it comes in. Switching things around sometimes can make a very ugly pattern look very pretty.

I'm sorry about the extension and not notifying everyone sooner, but I had hoped that I'd get the last contestant in in time. I might try posting up a notice about the contest outside of the MTS forums, to drum up some more interest.

Field Researcher
#64 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:16 PM
I had to completely reinstall - first it did the whole region incompatible thing - thanks to Amazon UK who supplied me with discs of differing regions. They should all be 2 but some have been 1s. Then it found an invalid file and when I checked on Delphys patch log viewer the file didn't even exist! What fun! I wouldn't mind but the discs are all 100% legit. I pretty much have to do a reinstall every time I patch up so I should have known better lol. Ambitions patched no problem - it was the base game that was being awkward.
I'm really surprised there have been so few entries considering how many people on MTS forums have asked for more contests. I even did some random forum comments during the week to advertise the contest in my signature :-)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#65 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:22 PM
Yeah, so did I. I've never commented that much on the regular forum, and it's had some interest, but not enough. I can't say if I'm surprised or not, though. The foundations contest generated so much interest because it was an actual news post. There were people clamoring for contests, but I think in the time between when the foundations contest ended and this one began, that interest dimmed. Looking back at closed contests, I see that a lot of them never got past the application round because there was never enough generated interest: especially concerning building contests: the Sims contests are much more popular. It also might have something to do with my contest to begin with: it can be difficult to build to plans. If I've kept up to date with everything, there should only be two people needed in order to go on with the contest. If I knew some people, I'd try coercing them into joining, but I'm pretty unknown around this forum.

The other one
#66 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:38 PM
I'm surprised too. The amount of people that have whinged about there never being contests for TS3 and now there is one and you struggle to get entrants. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense I do wonder if people are put off by the limit on CC. It didn't put people off with the Foundations contest because that was a large site run contest. If you look at the TS2 build/decorating contests you hardly ever see any EA content at all Also, building entire lots with decor and landscaping is (I think) a lot more time consuming than making a sim with a few outfit changes so it might just be that some folk don't have the time now that school's are back in.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#67 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:42 PM
That's what I figured: the CC content limit is a big deterrent, but it wasn't that hard in the Foundations Contest, and using CC doesn't count anywhere near as much in this one.

I'd love it if you were able to advertise it, but at this point, I don't know if it'll be all of that much help.

Test Subject
#68 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:45 PM
Oh my goodness, I am SO glad we have more time (Although I'm a bit bummed we may not have as many rounds now). Because I only found and entered this contest the day before yesterday, I felt really rushed, and there were a lot of things I still wanted to do to make my house more accurate. Namely placing it appropriately in a world diagonally from the street like it's supposed to be. I also rushed like crazy through the landscaping and really hated it. >_>

Edit: Building challenges don't usually pique my interest, but I actually really like using real floor plans as inspiration. It forces you to think outside the box when trying your darndest to bridge the gap between Sims and reality.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#69 Old 14th Sep 2010 at 10:48 PM
Yes, you have another week now to make any necessary changes. I'd wanted there to be about two weeks for each round to begin with, but then beeps put a deadline on my contest. I honestly don't know if I can go beyond that deadline and I haven't gotten around to asking beeps yet about it. I'm sure people would like it a lot more if there were two weeks to get the round done, but then this would be a very long contest, especially if I go with the original five rounds.

Scholar
#70 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 5:07 AM
I don't think limiting CC is a deterent. That's part of the challenge of the project. Not being able to rely on shopping around for this and that forces you too get more creative and the discipline of building to a floor plan is challenging.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#71 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 6:06 AM
That's what I was thinking when I made the limit: stretch people's creativity, since I think CC (especially in the Sims 2; I can't download a house now without also downloading about twenty to forty pieces of CC) makes us complacent. But again, people might not want a huge challenge. And CC's a big thing.

Here's a heads up for anyone who cares. It's about 1 in the morning where I am. I'm gonna go to bed pretty soon and then later, I'll be gone all day, until late at night. If you have any questions, please ask them, but I won't be able to answer them until then. Judges are free to answer any questions that pop up and if anyone comes in with an entry or house plans, then I'll add you when I get back, just so you don't think I'm ignoring you.

Test Subject
#72 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 6:42 AM
The CC limit is especially challenging if your EA content consists of the base game stuff, the free Eco Pack, and the futuristic bike & rack. xD It was a struggle not to keep reusing the same decor over and over and over, just because of the tiny selection.

On the bright side, I learned that stacking split stairs is deceptively easy... I just needed to backtrack a bit. :D
The other one
#73 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 8:08 AM
I struggled not to use CC and I have all the EPs, SPs and a butt load of store stuff It was easier not to use CC in the foundations contest because the house was a product of my imagination so I could easily make a house that fit around what I have available but this time round it's not about imagination at all, it's more about technique and attention to detail. If I know there's a piece of CC that looks more like whatever's on the plans than any of the EA stuff then I'd rather use that to be as accurate as possible.

Scholar
#74 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 3:03 PM
I agree with preferring cc for accuracy but it wasn't that we couldn't use cc at all--it's just that the limit was 10 --which is a good amount in building when you consider it was the number of pieces used but not how often they repeated. (i.e., 1 window used 20 times = 1 piece cc) And youre right--not having the cc does make you have to fiddle around with things and good discoveries can come from that.

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#75 Old 15th Sep 2010 at 3:20 PM
I am building a house for this, mostly because I like challenging myself and because I feel like if I am judging, I should give it a shot myself. In the foundations challenge, I never used CC. I removed my CC folder just so I wouldn't even be tempted. For this challenge, I do have to use CC but I am doing it very sparingly. Just pieces that I know make the house more accurate. As much as I would LOVE to use all the clutter pieces I have picked up, I'm refraining. I know how all of you feel!

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."

Page 3 of 19