Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 28th May 2009 at 3:43 PM
503?
I tried to download recently (~9:30), but kept getting error 503. I thought servers were back up...unless I'm missing something...
Plz me out on this issue somebody. I'd much appreciate it.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 28th May 2009 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
No, whitewater, since you dont access the site via IP, you access it via name.

Not quite accurate Delphy :P

It's true you access it by name, but you are dependend on the DNS refresh rate...

DNS servers link "modthesims2.com" to it's IP adress, but depending on your Internet Service Provider you this link might be "broken" anywhere between 5mins to 2 hours(ish)

So if your browser tells you: "not accessable" , or "not found" it just means the DNS hasn't re-linked the name to the new IP it's supposed to link to.

Try again later...

DNS servers are all over the world updating them just takes a while to go from US servers to EU servers etc.

Wheeeeeeee, new objects...
Booooooooo, censorship ;)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#53 Old 29th May 2009 at 1:05 AM
How is what I said not "quite" accurate? It's totally accurate DNS updating is part of the process, yes, but it doesn't change the facts that you still access the site via the name, not the IP.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#54 Old 29th May 2009 at 1:12 AM
1:27 no self destruct Delphy.....

thanks for the warning
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#55 Old 29th May 2009 at 1:17 AM
4rchn00b, the servers *are* back - a 503 just means you are trying to download more than 3 things at a time... so cut it out. :P

Test Subject
#56 Old 29th May 2009 at 1:24 AM Last edited by 4rchn00b : 29th May 2009 at 1:26 AM. Reason: delphy's last post
true advice
it works now, thanks guys! ^_^

also...okay...I'll try to download less (I was D/Ling 1 at a time, I swear!). Can you blame me, this is the hub of talent right here! (Y'all---> )
Test Subject
#57 Old 29th May 2009 at 3:05 AM
Rejoice!
Test Subject
#58 Old 29th May 2009 at 4:37 PM
Does the page keep refreshing you too if you dont want it? When I try to browse this page, after some time the page whitens, but after a while, it shows up again...but not everytime...what´s wrong? o.O is it me or this page?

Do you like waffles? Yeah, we like waffles.
Do you like pancakes? Yeah, we like pancakes.
Do you like french toast? I dont know, have never tasted some of that yet....xD
Scholar
#59 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:22 AM
Himawari no Tenshi, if you're having that phenomenon, you're having connectivity issues. Does it happen more often at 7:00 am, 5:00 pm, and 11:00 pm? Then it's definitely your connection getting micro-interruptions and having to reload. (this is what happened to me. I had a dying modem, and _also_ my neighborhood gets really active online at times)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#60 Old 30th May 2009 at 12:31 AM
Actually... the phenomenon was a script error on the site. It was fixed fairly quickly though.

In other news the downtime earlier today was to put the second database server online.

After configuration and some updates to the existing scripts, I can now report that the bulk of this downtime is over, and the site seems to be running very well, even with the Show Latest Users turned on.

Enjoy the speed.

Test Subject
#61 Old 30th May 2009 at 5:55 AM
Wait, i dont get it. Sorry but im not a computer genius. Are you shutting down modthesims2 and making a modthesims3?
So we wont be able to download anything from here after you shut this website down?
What just happend?
retired moderator
#62 Old 30th May 2009 at 6:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Lovrr
Wait, i dont get it. Sorry but im not a computer genius. Are you shutting down modthesims2 and making a modthesims3?
So we wont be able to download anything from here after you shut this website down?

No modthesims2 is not shutting down!
Nowhere in this thread did Delphy say that modthesims2 was shutting down, it's just that, from time to time, not often, the servers have to go "off line" for maintenance!

Life is for LIVING so, LIVE it and have Fun

Please use "spell check" when posting!!!
Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
Scholar
#63 Old 30th May 2009 at 7:29 PM
Now that the downtime is over, why does it come up "page not found" every time I try to download content (and I'm only doing it one at a time so I'm not overloading lol)?

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#64 Old 30th May 2009 at 7:48 PM
Downloads are working fine - I just tested them.

Scholar
#65 Old 31st May 2009 at 12:33 AM
Thanks... it looks like the problem was fixed. I noticed yesterday and earlier today that I was having this particular problem. I even tried rebooting my computer.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Test Subject
#66 Old 31st May 2009 at 1:44 PM
Downloads aren;t working for me... I keep getting 503 error. And I'm not downloading anything else ATM. :-??
Test Subject
#67 Old 31st May 2009 at 4:22 PM Last edited by luc1890 : 31st May 2009 at 6:25 PM.
ya, i keep getting the same error. and im not downloading anything either.

is it my connection problem or mts :-?

*Edit : Download are working again now.

thx guys :D
What just happend?
retired moderator
#68 Old 31st May 2009 at 5:15 PM
Sorry, it has to be your end! I have tested with all my browsers and all is well with downloads!

Life is for LIVING so, LIVE it and have Fun

Please use "spell check" when posting!!!
Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
Zombie Socks
#69 Old 31st May 2009 at 7:31 PM
So, when modthesims2 goes to modthesims will all the links break? Because that means the wiki is going to be a MESS.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#70 Old 31st May 2009 at 7:55 PM
No, whitewater. We'll have redirects in place so everything will be fine.

Also, Ashley-Chan, a 503 error means your IP is downloading too much stuff at a time.

Test Subject
#71 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 2:50 AM
Hi all.

Have been wary of the down-time and the time since and allowing for any "settling" required to make sure it's all smooth from my end... However. Is it just me or is MTS a little slower now?

Could be a coincidence but since the re-vamp i've had problems with d/l times, time-outs and really sluggy refreshes. Cleared caches, cookies and cob-webs and have done everything that I could to see if it was anything at my end. Am on ADSL2+ and live 2 doors up from the exchange.

NAT, Firewall, Gremilns... check! check! check!

This site was gunning for me last week before the down-time.

Any others in AU with this prob?

...Bring on the slow Aussie jokes.

"3 sleeps to go!!"
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#72 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 8:40 AM
simogambo, I think it's just you. Seriously though, I've done a *lot* of browsing around on the www servers, even with 2.5 to 3k people on the site and it's always been very very very fast - quicker than it was before. Note that general BROWSING speed is not the same as DOWNLOADING - they are totally seperate things. Fact is that people have been downloading more since the site was down for a few days, hence why the downloads themselves may be slow - but the rest of the site sure isn't.

Oh and thats also why downloads themselves might be a little slower - more people able to use the site (becuase it's faster) = more people trying to download at a time, hence why it can take a little longer to download, but in *every* case where somebody has said "Downloads aren't working!" I've checked it, and they have been working fine.

Test Subject
#73 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 8:43 PM
my download time has been really messed up, it takes forever when downloading...i am using a download manager, but it only downloads 1 thing and has been connected to it only once--not using download accelerator--but idk, so i click like a a few things, and i keep getting errors, and so it restarts them later...
Test Subject
#74 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
simogambo, I think it's just you. Seriously though, I've done a *lot* of browsing around on the www servers, even with 2.5 to 3k people on the site and it's always been very very very fast - quicker than it was before.

Thanks Delphy,

Think you're spot on. Probably was me. Have done a bit of very late spring cleaning and seems to be peachy now. Another factor also put it down to the added punters and activity following up to the Sims 3. Dunno, but maybe.

Anyways. Cheers again.

P.S. DM is my saviour. Hail to thee!!

**don't drink from the mainstream**
Test Subject
#75 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 10:04 AM
Hello ,

Mine reminds me of a 1920's flapper... or that girl off of The Breakfast Club.

What happened was, I have naturally curly hair, but because it's so thick the curl doesn't like to come out much. So I go and get it permed. It was nice, used to short but not very short. It was starting to get a little unruly so I went to the salon to get it cut a little bit. The lady GOT IT WET, STRAIGHTENED IT, and THEN cut it. The result was that it sprung up near my ears.

It's cute... I kind of like it now. But I was angry when it happened, haha.
Page 3 of 4