Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 1:34 AM
Default My ModTheSims 2 - Public Beta
Hi All,

This project has been ongoing for a very very long time - probably a year and a half. It's gotten to the point now where there isn't much I can add or improve so I figure I'd throw it out to the wolves... I mean, you lot, and see what you think.

What am I talking about? Well, basically a customisable front page for MTS2. You can turn on/off different panels, add a new "Favourite Forums" section, and see latest downloads from your Favourite Creators (as in the Download pages).

To start, click here: http://my.modthesims2.com/

You start with choosing a "theme" - this will just set some default panels on or off. You cannot change your general theme afterward, but you may edit as appropriate.

Once you have your theme, you can remove a panel by clicking the stop button on the top right of the panel. You can add new panels either through Edit myMTS2 or through the Add Panel on the left.

Anyway, I know this is very basic, but it's late.

As usual, comments / suggestions welcome. Please note that coding for this is pretty much complete so I wont be adding anything new unless a lot of people request it.

Regards
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
22 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 1:49 AM Last edited by leesester : 9th Nov 2008 at 2:43 AM.
Just tried it, just set the my.mts2 as home page and all the subscription threads are opening in new windows - this I do not like, and I cannot see how to turn this off? Worked out how now, but maybe it would be cool to have a little button called "set as my home page" so the link is correct? Also, is it possible to have a scroll bar for the picked downloads, featured downloads like on the favourite creators?
Forum Resident
#3 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 4:08 AM
Awesome! I like this feature... thanks Delphy!
Is there a way to limit the number of new downloads by your favorite creators? It doesn't look good with 4 rows... 2 would be better.
Test Subject
#4 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 5:46 AM
Stretched my screen in a kinda wonky way, but I like it. :D

Should be lots of fun once the kinks are worked out.

I dont create. *hides*
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 6:17 AM
Wahow!
*gobsmacked*
Awesome! Always wanted something like this!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 7:02 AM
Wow! Great job Delphy!
It does look kinda weird with 4 rows.. and it streches my screen, but, what the heck, Its awesome anyway! Thanks again!

The Sim Supply!

Call me PD :)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 11:37 AM
You can add a scrollbar to the featured creators downloads box.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
Just tried it, just set the my.mts2 as home page and all the subscription threads are opening in new windows - this I do not like, and I cannot see how to turn this off? Worked out how now, but maybe it would be cool to have a little button called "set as my home page" so the link is correct? Also, is it possible to have a scroll bar for the picked downloads, featured downloads like on the favourite creators?

I have no idea what you are talking about "Subscribed threads now open in new window". Also, what do you mean "so the link is correct"? What link?

Test Subject
#9 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 11:51 AM
Default Shiny!
Sparkly pony ftw! :D
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 11:55 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 9th Nov 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Looking good! Is there a way to change the order of the panels? I have chosen Creator view, with the addition of New Posts in subscribed threads. I would actually like the New Posts panel to come first.

Edit: Found it! Took a few goes not to accidentally give two things the same number

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:02 PM
Additionally, the point with myMTS2 is that if you dont like any of the panels (say you dont want to see Picked Uploads), you can just turn that panel off.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
I have no idea what you are talking about "Subscribed threads now open in new window". Also, what do you mean "so the link is correct"? What link?

I opened the link in your post. I followed the instructons and made myself a page (hybrid). I made that new page my home page - when I reopened firefox and clicked home all the threads I am subscribed to opened in a new window. Then I changed my home page to be this address:

http://my.modthesims2.com/imts2.php and now I just get the Home Page. Maybe if you made an option "make this my home page" it would stop people making the mistake of creating a home page where all the subscribed threads opn in new windows. I hope this is clearer for you.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:18 PM
...Sorry no, I'm still not getting it. What subscribed threads are you talking about?

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#14 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 12:48 PM
Well, I cannot explain better, and I did manage to work it out, so maybe we should leave it at that. Will it be so in the future that when I click on my user name at the top right corner that I will be directed to the MyMTS2, or will that stay as the link to my profile?
#15 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 1:39 PM
I should hope it would continue to link to the profile!

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#16 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 1:51 PM
Could there be a way to make it so we have the normal front page (I LIKE the normal front page :P) but be have a box or summat at the bottom or somewhere, which we can add things to?
Err, if that makes sense.
#17 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:18 PM
What is the normal front page though? For a long time, users have been able to choose what page they see as the front page.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:15 PM
elpemmy, the point is that this is used as a "dashboard" or control center showing you information from lots of places.

You can use it instead of your home page... but you can also just use it in your Quick Links or set as Home in your browser.

I wont be changing the link in the top right when you click on your nickname.

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 3:27 PM
Ooh, I like it. Very good idea putting our fav creators, featured dls, top picks and stuff like that all on one page (at least for the downloader-specialized page anyway). Thumb s up!

i build houses! that would sound much more important if they were real houses...
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 5:11 PM
Oh this is just too awesome Delphy! I love the creator mode. I have yet to try out the hybrid mode. Thank you, I love seeing my favorite creator's downloads now. :D

Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#21 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 7:41 PM
Great idea! I really like the different themes and I really, REALLY like how you can customise the view, especially that you can change the order of the panes. That made my day!

(Only problem I've run into is that in creator and hybrid mode, the "latest picked downloads" all appeared in one long row and thus stretches the screen, but that problem went away when I removed that particular panel, so it's no biggie, at least not to me.)
Theorist
#22 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 7:51 PM Last edited by PETCHY14 : 9th Nov 2008 at 8:37 PM.
Oh I love it Delph! so THIS is iMTS2! *goes back to check*
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy
....maybe on another front, moving away from the Apple Side;

A moar Personalized MTS2?

Oh I'm confuzzeled, But it seems like its going to be Great - Even....

Yay! I got it Right! :D

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 2:09 AM
its like it goes on forever off to the side! too much space!!

but maybe its just me.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#24 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 11:12 AM
It works fine at resolutions of 1024x768 and above since that is the minimum resolution MTS2 supports. If you run it smaller then YMMV.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#25 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 12:04 PM
Hi

I have my screen set at 1280 by 800 and I have problems with the screen needing to scrolled a lot - but only when I have the featured/creator/picked downloads showing. When I turn those panels off it all fits on the screen.

I made screen shots, but not allowed to post attachments.
Page 1 of 3