Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 9:44 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Rescue lot and family?
OK, first of all this happened a while ago and I don't remember all of the details. And yes, there is a game crash involved, but I don't wanna necessarily rescue the entire game as much as I wanna rescue my families and lots that I spent time and effort designing, but failed to save before said crash. I've long ago stopped caring about the games themselves, it's my sims and lots I love. Anyway. Here it goes.

I don't remember anymore all of the packs that were involved, but I know there were pets and I know I was cheating, as I always do. I was in Twinbrook and had two families. The Harada, or Nagakura family (not sure who kept the surname) that had at the end something like six kids and the Shiranui-Takasugi household with no kids. I was under the impression I had autonomy at lowest, but what happened was, I switched from the Haradas to the Shiranuis (let's just use those names) and the Haradas somehow ended up adopting a dog who had puppies, effectively skyrocketing over the limit of characters per lot. Nevermind, I thought, I'll deal with it later. So I played with the Shiranuis for a bit and then I decided to switch back to the Haradas. Now, this is where it gets fuzzy, but I know I used NRaas and somehow managed to reset the lot / remove the dog and puppies. I don't remember what the exactly the option in NRaas said, but it was something with approximately the meaning of "remove last addition" (not in those words) that lead me to conclude it was the dogs. And it did remove the dogs, so. I also remember I did this while I paused the game. The lot was a mess so I cleaned it up, meaning I basically went and deleted the dirty laundry, dishes and threw away the rotten food and shift clicked the family mood up. Armageddon avoided. I played them for a while, three kids had birthdays. On the last birthday though the game first froze, then crashed. It wasn't saved yet, which made me go bonkers for a bit, but okay. Nevermind. I was able to redo the same steps from the start, this time saving each time I made the family a little better, so a total of several times, overriding the previous save each time. The game crashed at the exact same spot - the last birthday (the second twin of the babies was supposed to become a toddler). I have been unable to start it since then.

It crashes always on the second load. I tried with and without custom content. I did a factory reset, with and without custom content. Nothing helped. New game loads always, with and without custom content.

Now. As I said, I'm not as interested in fixing the game itself, as trying to save the lots and the families. If I can't save the broken lot, so be it. But the Shiranui lot and the Harada family, which I spent a lot of effort on tweaking, is there a way to save those? I copied the town, but I didn't try accessing it.

Some additional information, in case you need it:

Windows 10 (now and before)
intel core 7th gen graphic card.
SSD 250 GB
Patched to the last (duh).
Current packs: WA, Amb, LN, Gen, ST, which should be the same as when the game started acting up, except I obviously disabled pets.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 12:03 AM
Any chance you threw those lots on the exchange? That's a good way to save your families if you know you'll be wanting them later.

Also, you can save the sims born-in-game to the sims bin in the mirror/dresser as you play as well as the other options that come with modded games such as NRAAS. Best to save them with base game clothes/etc. just to be safe. Once they are in the bin, you can go into your documents file and copy/save them as many times as you like for later use. You can also save the family into the library if you like by evicting them and making that choice. If you do it this way, the sims should maintain their pregnancies although the outcome of the babies might be different.

I you decide to use the .sim files alone on a re-install/renewed game you'll have to just piece the families together again and I suggest putting them on a fresh/different lot as it sounds like the lot could be the problem. Perhaps an object on it? Also, you could have a bad world. Or just simply a borked savegame. With Sims 3, there's all SORTS of possibilities to mess up your game!

Either way, all sims are save-able and can be used again and again if you have the sim file. I've done that with any sims and still have some from 9 years ago that were on a different computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonas3333
Any chance you threw those lots on the exchange? That's a good way to save your families if you know you'll be wanting them later.

Also, you can save the sims born-in-game to the sims bin in the mirror/dresser as you play as well as the other options that come with modded games such as NRAAS. Best to save them with base game clothes/etc. just to be safe. Once they are in the bin, you can go into your documents file and copy/save them as many times as you like for later use. You can also save the family into the library if you like by evicting them and making that choice. If you do it this way, the sims should maintain their pregnancies although the outcome of the babies might be different.

I you decide to use the .sim files alone on a re-install/renewed game you'll have to just piece the families together again and I suggest putting them on a fresh/different lot as it sounds like the lot could be the problem. Perhaps an object on it? Also, you could have a bad world. Or just simply a borked savegame. With Sims 3, there's all SORTS of possibilities to mess up your game!

Either way, all sims are save-able and can be used again and again if you have the sim file. I've done that with any sims and still have some from 9 years ago that were on a different computer.

Yeah the problem is I can only save them if I can access them in game. Which I can't. That's the entire problem. Same for the lots. I said at the start I failed to save them while I had the chance and now I can't access the game.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 2:58 AM
In case this has been a consistent factor all along, it is not possible to load and play a saved game that has "seen" certain EPs if that EP is no longer present. Pets is one of them. But regardless, there really isn't any way to extract sims and lots as resources from a saved game file that cannot otherwise be loaded up.

What you might be able to do is put the nhd file for one of these saves for this world into a different ongoing saved game and use the NRaas Traveler mod to try to transition active play (or vacation some sims) there. But I expect the same failure will likely happen during the travel transition as the nhd will still need to load in much the same way that one does when the game starts up in that world.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
In case this has been a consistent factor all along, it is not possible to load and play a saved game that has "seen" certain EPs if that EP is no longer present. Pets is one of them. But regardless, there really isn't any way to extract sims and lots as resources from a saved game file that cannot otherwise be loaded up.

What you might be able to do is put the nhd file for one of these saves for this world into a different ongoing saved game and use the NRaas Traveler mod to try to transition active play (or vacation some sims) there. But I expect the same failure will likely happen during the travel transition as the nhd will still need to load in much the same way that one does when the game starts up in that world.

I was afraid you'd say that. Thank you anyway. I'll try and see if I can manage to load it (with the EP active and maybe with some more persuasion) and save what I can, but I have my doubts.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 3:02 PM
UPDATE.

I am starting to think one of my sims is broken. I keep encountering the same thing in three different locations, in completely unrelated games. After I failed to restart Twilight Shores I started Sunset Valley, with the same basic young adult sims, but I grouped them differently this time. (I switched the pairs). I got as far as two kids (I had the foresight to save both kids), when I got the message that game is not responding due to an error. I started then a third game in Sunset valley, creating a household from the sims I saved. I designed a lot just for them, moved them in and saved the town. Now when I select them to play, the game fails to load (second loading screen) and I get the same message. I also noticed a lot of script errors stacking up in my game file.

This is more serious than I thought. It is also completely unacceptable. I am not trashing those sims, nuh-huh. Please tell me there's a way to fix it, because I'm at the end of my rope.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 4:40 PM
Script error logs or crash logs? If they are script error logs coming from NRaas mods, these would look like ScriptError_(name of PC)_(date/time)_(some hexcodes).xml and we can try to help interpreting them if you zip some samples together, upload them to us, and open a support thread at NRaas. You should never really see more than 11 or 12 of them stack up as after that they are supposed to begin overwriting each other, with the oldest ones going out first. Otherwise we can only make wild guesses as to what they say.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload
(free Wikispaces account and NRaas membership required to upload and post)

If they are crash logs and memory dumps, usually with xcpt in the file names, those unfortunately tend to be useless and can be deleted.

The other way to proceed I guess would be to make Saved Sim templates out of these sims in CAS and then apply the templates to "new" sims in an attempt to start over with them and see if that works out better or differently.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2018 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Script error logs or crash logs? If they are script error logs coming from NRaas mods, these would look like ScriptError_(name of PC)_(date/time)_(some hexcodes).xml and we can try to help interpreting them if you zip some samples together, upload them to us, and open a support thread at NRaas. You should never really see more than 11 or 12 of them stack up as after that they are supposed to begin overwriting each other, with the oldest ones going out first. Otherwise we can only make wild guesses as to what they say.

If they are crash logs and memory dumps, usually with xcpt in the file names, those unfortunately tend to be useless and can be deleted.

The other way to proceed I guess would be to make Saved Sim templates out of these sims in CAS and then apply the templates to "new" sims in an attempt to start over with them and see if that works out better or differently.

Both, actually. I vaguely remember the same thing happening last time, but I was stupid enough to delete the script errors as well. I am zipping them up as I'm typing, though. <strike>Where exactly do I upload them? In this thread, or at the NRaas site directly, where? (I have never done this before >.>) </strike> TY

And I will definitely remember to try the template thing once I got more time to experiment. Thank you for the time and help.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Manaika
Where exactly do I upload them? In this thread, or at the NRaas site directly, where?

You need to upload them directly at NRaas. Click the How To Upload link that igazor posted above for full instructions. :-)