Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 1:18 PM
So who's going to release this to the public?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#27 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 1:19 PM
You are.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 1:59 PM
Righto. I wanted to make sure I wasn't treading on anyone's toes seeing as Bloom did most of the work. I just tweaked the channels to make sure the railings weren't adversely affected.

#29 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 2:05 PM
You can credit him for helping, obviously

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 2:22 PM
Oh of course. Your good self too.

Sockpuppet
#31 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 3:27 PM
If you release it i would try to keep the rod texture as overlay.(as suggested by yourself )
The extra channel you could use for the left and right side of the steps.
Those have now 2 shades of grey on the multiplier resulting in 2 diffrent shades of the color.
I would split those up.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 5:09 PM
I'm quite happy with how it works currently now that I have fixed the issue with the railings.
I see more benefit from being able to customise the stair rod than being able to colour each side of the stairs seperately. I can't actually see which part of the multiplier you mean with different shades of grey to be honest.
I suppose I best go get some before and after shots taken.

#33 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 5:59 PM
I agree with having the rod castable, actually. When I made my Sims2 stair carpet, it had a choice of rod colors. Though, you could have different overlays per colorway option? Say, brass, steel, black, and invisible (for people who don't want rods)

Sockpuppet
#34 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 6:28 PM
I agree, just thought you wanted it close to the default stairs.

You must have noticed the color diffrence on the steps?
The sides are more bright then the center, it could be caused by the specularmap.(didn't check)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 9:22 PM
Ah, I think I misunderstood which part of the step you meant. I'll take another look.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 4:58 PM
Okay, took a look. It appears to be the normals of the mesh creating the difference in texture colour at the edges of the steps and not the actual textures. When viewed from certain angles the colour does match. Because of that I am going to leave it as it is. I originally set out to get the recolouring fixed and that's been done now.

Sockpuppet
#37 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 1:56 PM
with one channel disabled then?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#38 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 5:59 PM
For what reason?

Sockpuppet
#39 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 10:26 PM
nm, im prolly misunderstanding. :P
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#40 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 9:10 PM
Right, as the file stands the stairs have the default 4 channels enabled in the CASt tool and actually have four channels mapped to them now which includes the stair rod being changed from an overlay to one of the 4 channels.
This simply means that any of these stairs already in use in game will end up with white stair rods when this mod is added unless the user has changed the corrisponding channel already.
That being said, can the CSTR that defines the preset materials be edited to include a golden material for that channel? I'll go look now.

#41 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 9:38 PM
Yes it can.

Sockpuppet
#42 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:15 AM
You do need to start over then as other files are needed.
#43 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 9:15 AM
What are you referring to BloomsBase? I can't fit your observation into the context?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#44 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 9:00 PM
Hmm. Well I included the CSTR in the mod file and edited the reference to the material for the third channel but it seems to have had no effect, so I either missed something or there is other file info needed like Bloom says.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 3:23 PM
So I continued to mess around with the CSTR today and have so far managed to make the misc. material of the third channel the correct colour, then make it so that the stairs couldn't be recoloured, and finally have now ended up changing the material to a fabric but I have no idea what alterations I made to have such results.
Ideally I want to change the material to the GoldLeaf01Med_1 materail in the Metals sort but don't know how to point to that pattern. I changed all references of miscellaneous patterns for the third channel to the gold metal but it never showed up. All I got were the above results.
I shall keep on messing about and see what else I end up doing.

#46 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 3:53 PM
Use my TextureTweaker tool.

Sockpuppet
#47 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
What are you referring to BloomsBase? I can't fit your observation into the context?

He uses my replacement package with only the 2 texture files in it.
If he wants to edit the colors he should reclone the stairs so he can edit the other files with your texture tweaker.
#48 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 4:52 PM
No, TextureTweaker will let him bring in just the ones he wants to edit, or else simply point to other EA patterns in the game files. No need to include them in the package.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#49 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 5:46 PM
Bloom, I've already imported the CSTR from the stairs cloned with S3OC into the package you created originally that I have since carried on tweaking.

Thank you Inge, the tool worked a treat!

I've attached the file as it stands now, if you wouldn't mind testing it in your games and letting me know how/if it works that would be great.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  StairFix.zip (3.7 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content

Page 2 of 2