Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 11:40 AM
Default New policies regarding pay content (TS2 and TS3)
Hi all,

After a lot of discussion and deliberation, we have made some changes to our policies regarding pay content - for both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 uploads.

The new policies can be read here: Regarding Pictured or Required Pay Content.

These changes have been made with the following main factors in mind:
  • Promoting free content and the free community. We like everything being free to use and share for everyone, and we like sites and creators who feel the same way.

• What you see is what you get - or what you can get, without having to pay for it. We know it can be frustrating to see something you love that requires a bunch of stuff you don't have and can't get.

• Easy to follow and understand for creators. We don't wish to make the upload process more difficult, time-consuming, or strenuous. We know we already have high standards that can be difficult for some people to meet, and we don't desire to add another level of complexity to it needlessly.

• Easy to enforce for our upload moderators. As unpaid volunteers doing this in their spare time, upload moderators don't need yet another level of things to check piled onto them, and we don't want to slow down moderation either.

• Maintaining our requirement for permissions/credit for MTS uploads, while not requiring we police other sites or that uploaders do so. We would love if every site required permissions and credits clearly stated and everyone respected everyone's policies, but we know the whole of the internet is not MTS-land, and we know we can't expect creators to keep a checklist of whether permission was stated on everything they might want to use later in their uploads.

We know not everyone will agree 100% with these policies, but we have put a lot of thought into it and this seems the best solution to balance the above factors and make it easiest on everyone while still maintaining the type of atmosphere we want. These are not something we have just whipped up and not thought about - different options have been in discussion for about two weeks prior to this posting. We may tweak some of the wording for clarification based on questions asked here, but the overall policies are not changing anytime soon.

If you have any questions or require further explanation, please post here in this thread. We hope you enjoy using MTS, and that these changes help to improve the site as a whole for everyone.
17 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 11:42 AM
Whiiiiiiiiiiineeee!!!

Just kidding. This is good.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 11:43 AM
Hammie - Oh hush you!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 12:51 PM
Fine by me. Seems to be thought out ok
Field Researcher
#5 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 1:09 PM
Very good and well thought out. Thank you.

You can find some of my creations here and the rest over at the following Dragon Black Sims
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 1:46 PM
Apart from the Store part - that's how I thought it was before? Am I missing other changes?

Mostly I fix Gameplay annoyances. I take requests and have made a few Requested mods already. Visit me on MTS Yearbook
My other projects: British High Street, Postal System for the Sims and Better Parking for Sims
Alchemist
#7 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 2:16 PM
fine by me also. Seems to be thought out.

At least this clears things up....

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 2:29 PM
Hm, is the store included on this? Because if so, I'm ready to take that house down and remove the store stuff.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 3:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RiBlan
Hm, is the store included on this? Because if so, I'm ready to take that house down and remove the store stuff.

Read the actual policies as linked
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 3:49 PM
MogHughson - The Store stuff was as it was before - it was something that we allowed but wasn't officially addressed, so we wanted to make sure to spell it all out.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Site Helper
#11 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 3:57 PM
That is basically the same policy we were expecting to see anyway.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#12 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 4:09 PM
Did you have a pool going or something? :D

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Scholar
#13 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 4:39 PM
Well I never use pay content in screenshot,I am logged on tsr as free member,but I don't visit it very often.Also,from what I know this is something that we already know.I mean mts have rule that pay content can't be used in uploads or screenshots.That's very good,so I like this
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 7:36 PM
Those policies should definitely help others like myself who are on fixed incomes and can't even afford to look at the pay sites. Thank you HP and Delphy as well as the entire crew here for making the game better for everyone.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 7:45 PM
Hopefully this will help someone in my situation - having a lot of store content in lots I want to upload. If you run your lot through the official uploader, its page on the exchange will contain a link that lists all custom content, and where to buy it.

I was on the verge of not uploading any of my lots to MTS (because listing the items would take forever), but this makes it easy.
Theorist
#16 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 8:12 PM
I've always supported free sites (I would much rather give money when I can afford to a free site than a pay site, any day) in every way I can and of course also have a completely free website. Does this mean we still can't put a link to our own FREE website in our uploads here? We have links all over our site to MTS and it seems a crying shame not to be able to link back to our own site as well.

We only submit uploads to MTS that we feel are our absolute best work but we still have a lot of things people love at our own site. They're not bad quality by any means, just not our absolute best.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 8:13 PM
Misty_2004 - Upload threads are not the place to advertise unrelated content, but you are welcome to put it in your signature, on your profile, talk about it in your journal, and post it in the Free Content Updates section.

Scholar
#18 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 10:10 PM
Well,I did my best to read carefully and hope that my questions will not sound stupid.
I am only an occasional creator,ie uploading some lots...With cc and with credits + shoppinglists (cf Sims 2).

Something is currently not yet clear to me: What to do with downloaded custom patterns used in a lot that we wish to upload ?
Many are very beautiful and surely require lots of efforts from their creators.

1) After installing them its not always easy to keep track of "who made them"...
2) Suppose I am not alone doing so: Very often I modify custom patterns ingame (especially colors).There are no more as they were but they still remain work of their creators..

I am wondering if we can upload a lot with such custom patterns...Problem with permisson of the creators if we have partially or totally lost track of them,giving a link to their site (or their thread on MTS),and problem of modified patterns.

Probably you have already explained the rules for everything about uploading,but I may have missed several elements because of my limited English.Please could you give more help,or just link to the point I have missed?

Thanks in advance.Hugs.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 10:12 PM
Mehrlicht - Custom patterns won't package with the lot, so you will have to be able to find them in your Mods\Packages in order to include them. All patterns made with Delphy's Pattern Packager can be included with a link and credit to the creator - hopefully the creator was smart enough to name their pattern descriptively, so that their name is in the file so you can track it back to them. If you can do that, you're welcome to include the pattern - just make sure to put it in your zip or rar file alongside the sims3pack of the lot.

Scholar
#20 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 10:17 PM
Thank you so much for your quick reply.Now it becomes easy to understand.Anyway I am not yet ready to upload anything...But...Just in case...needed to know !
Banned
#21 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 8:14 AM
I was told once, long ago, that ANY content from TSR is considered to be pay even if it's free, because artists can become featured at any time, and all featured artists downloads are pay. Is this still true? Because there are some great hair meshes, and skins from TSR that I have in my game that are free, and I don't always want to have to change a sims appearance just to upload something. Sorry if it seems like I'm whining, I'm really not, I was just wondering if this was still the case.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 10:31 AM
joninmobile - As it says in the linked guidelines in the first post, all TSR content is considered pay regardless of its current free/pay status. What is free there one day can be pay the next.

Forum Resident
#23 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 10:50 AM
HP apparently, this is part of the terms and conditions in Delphy's content mod.

In order to use this program, you must agree that all custom content created or modified using this program is "share friendly." This means that, while you may distribute, sell, destroy, implode, eat, or otherwise do whatever you want with your content, it also means that anyone can redistribute, recolour, remix, re-upload, and freely share your creations as long as they give you credit. If you do not want your creations to have a "share friendly" usage, then you may not use this program to create custom content. Do you agree to this license?

Would you then agree that if the paysites used this tool to create hair, they agreed to the conditions, therefore even if they offer it as a donation item, we are allowed to to download it and use it in our game and even for upload with sims just as long as we give credit to the creators on the paysites?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 10:55 AM
Audrey - That's a special case, and something we haven't quite decided on yet. Either way, it's not something individuals can really check just by looking unless the creator states flat-out that they've used DABOOBS for it. Only Delphy knows exactly how to idenfity what's been made by DABOOBS. Right now, the answer is no, but if that changes, we'll let you know.

Forum Resident
#25 Old 18th Aug 2009 at 11:34 AM
Okay, next question. If someone (not me) hacks the pay hair, then downloads it onto a free site for free download, then we download it for free, is that allowed? I know personally I have not paid a cent for any of the Peggy/Rose hair that is for donation as I have gotten it off sites like Sims Cave, Cazy and MATY.
Page 1 of 2