Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 2:56 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Cats & Kittens - Giving birth causes game to crash (only in one particular household)
Hi all,

In my Uberhood, Mickey Kat previously had a kitten with Samantha Kat which crashed once after the birth. My main issue is with Faline Kat. Samantha Kat got pregnant via Sim Blender but I directed Tara Kat to ask Faline & Mickey Kat to Try for Kittens, which they did and it was successful but whenever Faline gave birth to the 3 kittens, my game crashed. Every single time. Recently, I did see an option to Nuke "Junk Pregnancy Controllers" on FFS Debugger so I clicked on it. My game still crashed after the birth. I do have BO's No Sim Loaded mod. Is this something to do with the house or should I get rid of Faline's pregnancy? If so, does it matter how far along she is? I saved a little before the recent crash. My newest mods are "petstryforoffspring+runaway" & "largerlitters" by Radium / Midgethetree. I ran HCDU and there are no conflicts shown.

If you need more info, let me know.
Here's a picture of the crash.
As you can see, Faline just gave birth to the 3 kittens..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 3:02 PM
Could be a problem with kitten mods/accessories, or one of the newest mods. Have you done the obvious, such as seeing if the problem happens without the newest mods present? Could be that there's too many pets for the pet line to the left (I don't know if this can expand like the sim line).
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 3:11 PM Last edited by Fyren5 : 24th Feb 2019 at 3:28 PM.
The crash with Samantha Kat's kitten happened before I had the mods by Midgethetree / Radium. I recently downloaded a bow accessory for my cats here on MTS but haven't used it yet. I will load my game without the 2 Mods in my folder. I didn't think it was obvious because even before I had those in my game, the game crashed when Samantha's kitten was born. The only kitten/puppy mod I had then was the one that allows patterns on kittens/puppies. Suppose I should take that one out as well?

I thought you could have more than the max pets & Sims if you have BO's Unlimited Sims (and edited startup.cheat)? Not sure what to do about that if it is the issue..

Edit: Well, I removed the accessory & the two recent Mods. My game still crashed once the kittens were born and given names..
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 3:54 PM Last edited by iCad : 24th Feb 2019 at 4:06 PM.
It's most likely a clash between mods, and it may not be mods that have any obvious connection to pets. I would first back up all your neighborhoods, then remove all mods. See if the crash still happens. If it doesn't, then you'll know it's something in your mods that's causing the problem and you can 50/50 just them until you find the culprit. Or culprits. It could be more than one, which unfortunately makes your task of figuring this out harder. (Running the HCDU may or may not help; it'll tell you if any of your mods are conflicting in certain ways...but the HCDU can give false positives in the sense that conflicting mods can still work together. Plus, it doesn't check for everything.) If it still crashes without any mods in, then you know it's not the mods that are the issue. Then, it's probably something in your CC in general. Remove it all and test with no CC in at all. If it no longer crashes, then you'll know it's CC and you'll have to 50/50 all of it. If it still crashes, then you have a game install issue of some kind and further troubleshooting will be necessary. But usually stuff like this is mod/CC-related.

Whatever the case, when you've done all your testing and (hopefully!) resolved the problem, restore your neighborhood backups.

EDIT: OK, so I reread your post, where I initially missed the part where you said it's only happening on one lot. Does that mean that you've tried it on a different lot and it worked OK? If not, you might try that as part of your diagnostic. If so, then that tells me that it's something wrong with the lot itself and probably not your mods/CC. Moving the family out and then back in again (you can use the "Stay Things Shrub" so that the objects don't disappear) resets the lot and may resolve the issue.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 4:14 PM
I'm trying not to go down the route of taking out all of my mods because last time I did that, it not only affected my hood that I was trying to fix, it affected my backup as well (my University Sims were considered adults and had no semester bar etc). I had to restart my whole Uberhood.. Hopefully I won't have to do that.

If I make a family in CAS with 2 pets in my test hood, have them try for kittens/puppies and wait for the birth and it doesn't crash, would that mean it was the lot itself? Sorry if that didn't make much sense.

I'll try that as a last resort, and thank you for the help!
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 4:51 PM
I would definitely try a test family first, probably in a throwaway test neighborhood, to confirm whether or not it's a game-global issue and not a lot-specific one, since a lot-specific problem is easier to fix even if it means that you end up having to move the family to an entirely different lot. But if it IS game-global, then there really is no other way to diagnose the problem than to remove all mods and/or CC and methodically test. Randomly stabbing around isn't how you trouble-shoot. Removing mods can't affect possibly affect a backup made before you remove anything; if you had an issue, then either it's a problem with the backup-making process or something that happened after you put the backup back in, for instance if you removed mods before restoring the backup. To make the backup, simply making a separate copy of your Documents/The Sims 2/Neighborhoods folder is all you need to do.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:09 PM Last edited by Fyren5 : 24th Feb 2019 at 5:32 PM.
I had several backups of the old Uberhood and neither of them worked when I last did the 50/50 Mod thing. I have the date of the backup etc and everything that I had in that save (Mods, CC etc) as well. I don't know what went wrong but it did and ever since then I've been paranoid. I'll do it if I really need to, though. I'm trying to throw-away CAS family right now. Will edit with results.

Edit: I put the two mods by Midgethetree back into my folder & made a random CAS sim with 2 cats, made the cat pregnant, waited for the birth and she gave birth to 6 kittens successfully. I named them all and no crash.

Now that I know the problem isn't Mod or CC related, I've read somewhere that it's a big no-no moving out pregnant Sims. Tara Kat is pregnant in her 3rd Trimester... Is this true or false?
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Now that I know the problem isn't Mod or CC related, I've read somewhere that it's a big no-no moving out pregnant Sims. Tara Kat is pregnant in her 3rd Trimester... Is this true or false?

I'm pretty sure I've moved out pregnant Sims and never had problem. I suppose maybe problems could happen because the pregnancy controller is lot-based, which is why pregnancies only advance when the Sim is on their home lot, but I'm 98% certain I've moved out preggos. And even if something happens, it's easy enough to recreate the pregnancy and accelerate it via various modded objects so that Tara's back at the point where she was at pre-move.

But yeah, if it worked on a different lot with all your mods/CC in, then the issue is lot-specific. I'd back up the neighborhood (if you haven't done so yet) and try moving out (using the Stay-Things Shrub so that all the furnishings remain) and then moving them back in first. That will "reset" the lot, which might clear up the problem if it's a problem with controllers or tokens or whatever. If that doesn't work, then you might need to move the family to a new lot and see if you can get the cat to give birth without crashing the game.

Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:51 PM
Okay, thank you so much! Hopefully no issues happen when I move them out. I'll probably move them into a new house instead since their family is growing and that house is cramped enough with 3 more kittens and twin babies on the way. I'll use the Stay Things Shrub for the next family that moves into the house though! :D

I'm backing up my game right now. I'll let you know what happens after I move them out! :D
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 5:59 PM
Hopefully it'll work! If the issue isn't lot-specific, then it could be cat-specific, which means you'd have to re-create the cat and the pregnancy. But hopefully it's lot-specific and simply moving the family elsewhere will fix the problem.

Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 8:28 PM Last edited by Fyren5 : 24th Feb 2019 at 10:16 PM.

Okay, I moved them out and back in and changed the time so it was like they never left. I played as usual and Faline gave birth to the 3 kittens but as soon as I named them, it crashed. The same point every time. Maybe I should not let Faline have kittens unless it isn't safe to end the pregnancy at that stage?

How do I re-create Faline Kat? I'm not that good at that stuff...

Edit: I moved them back in the same house because I forgot to pick up Darleen Dreamers' grave. I'll move them to a new lot when I pick up the grave.

Edit 2: I moved them into a new house, waited for Faline to give birth and as soon as I named the 3 kittens, CRASH.

This time, I'm going to retrieve my backup and just end Faline's pregnancy. I didn't want to do that but it seems that's my only option right now.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 12:29 AM
Maybe the pregnancy became glitched. Have you tried ending the pregnancy and reimpregnating her?
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 1:59 AM
She doesn't have many days left until aging unfortunately. I got rid of the pregnancy and then had her and Mickey Kat try for a Kitten but she didn't get pregnant. If she doesn't get pregnant the second time then I'll just leave her be.

Thanks all for the help! Next time, I'll do more troubleshooting before posting here. :D
Mad Poster
#14 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 4:27 AM
If you need to make instant puppies/kittens for test purposes or to bypass a glitchy pregnancy, you can try Cristianlov's "Baby Pet Creator". You can get it from the link at the bottom of the attached tutorial post. You choose each parent from a phone dialog, name the baby animal, and the mod will then generate one puppy or kitten from the two parents that you've chosen (if you want three kittens, you'll have to do this three times). You can use this mod to spawn kittens and not have to bother making your cat pregnant at all. Maybe your game won't crash this way.

http://www.woodensimolean.com/MakeYourOwnDefaults
Screenshots
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 6:05 AM
I'd use Mootilda's hoodchecker just to be sure.
Maybe it crashes because the cat is so close to aging? With insiminator (or other tool) you can add days to their lifespan
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 11:45 AM
The pregnancy was glitched, I think. My game is fine now that I got rid of the pregnancy. Thank so much for the Christianlov's "Baby Pet Creator", I've had this before but lost it. I think I will use this to breed cats/dogs from different households! :D