Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 11:47 PM
Default Anyone know anything about Mipmaps and photo editing?
I know this is a long shot but does anyone here know anything about modding textures in Mass Effect 3 and something called Mipmaps? Normally I would ask on the Nexus forums but for some stupid reason that site is refusing my password right now ever after a reset it and I have tried resetting my cookies and everything else and nothing works.

Any way on to my stupid question that most likely no one will know the answer to. I am having trouble with Mip maps and this is all new to me so if you could bare with me for a while I would be grateful.

Any way I am trying to replace a texture in Mass Effect 3 and I thought I had gotten the hang of it, following every direction I found online for using ME3 Explore 2.0 and textmod to do it but I have run into a problem and I have tried googleing for an answer but nothing comes up. The problem is this I save the image file I want to use as the replacement for the in game file to the DSS format which seems to be correct but then every time I try to replace the in game file I get an error message saying that my file only has a mipmap of 1 and the game requires at least a mipmap of 9. and it seems to do this to every photo no matter the format or what I do with it. I gather a mipmap is something to do with the number of layers a photo has so I tried adding layers with Gimp, and Gimp says the photos now have nine layers but I still get the error message about there being only one. So my question is this and I am sorry if it is a stupid one, but what is a mipmap exactly and how do I add more of them to an image. I mean if every image file format only saves it as 1 and the game requires 9 of them then there must be some way to add mipmaps or the textures and files wouldn't show up in the game in the first place.

Again sorry if this is a stupid question but I have tried everywhere and I am at my whit's end trying to figure this out and I refuse to be beaten by a computer.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 9:55 AM
Can't help you sorry =(

Nexus forums are a good place to ask. Maybe make a new account?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 5:23 PM
Don't worry it took me all night but i figured it out and now I was able to replace the photo of Tali in Mass Effect with something that isn't a photoshop job of a real person. Good times and I learned a lot about computers while doing it, so over all I will say it was fun, even if i did spend a few days banging my head against the keyboard.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.