Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 4:24 AM
Default Ordering a computer from NCIX?
I know that some people here have had experience with NCIX.com. Has anyone ever had any problems with them?

I was going to buy a computer from NCIX.com, but when I added the computer to my Shopping Cart a mystery $22.10 was added to my total. It wasn't shipping or tax because that's added later in the ordering process. It's not a big deal, but I wanted to know why it was added, so I contacted them. They emailed me back and told me they didn't know why the $22.10 was added, but they would email me back when they figured it out. That was one week ago. Now I'm a bit nervous about ordering a computer from a company with such slow customer service. Should I still go ahead and still get the computer from them? (if they ever get back to me.)

By the way, this is the computer I was planning on buying http://secure.us.ncix.com/ncixpc/nc...72C05DA-5338657

Except I was going to get Windows 7 instead of 8, not get the second hard drive (I already have 1T hard drive I can add to it), and add a DVD/CD drive.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 7:30 AM
Sometimes there's special promotions that last only a day. If you added an item and the promotion has ended, the item will revert to its old price. That's one possibility.

I've ordered from NCIX Canada and have never had a problem. Others here have ordered from NCIX US and they said service was good except for delivery being a bit slow.

Can you tell me exactly what's in your shopping cart? I'll see if I come up with the same numbers that you do...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 12:37 PM
It sounds like they're having trouble tracking down the bug. Perhaps you could call them and see if you can order over the phone, bypassing the extra charge that way?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
Can you tell me exactly what's in your shopping cart? I'll see if I come up with the same numbers that you do...

The computer starts out at $1,299.00. I add Windows 7, which doesn't change the price. I get rid of the Western Digital Green 2TB SATA hard drive (-$106), the price goes down to $1193. Then I hit "Continue" twice and the price is still $1193. Then I hit "Add to Shopping Cart" and the total price in my Shopping Cart is $1,215.12
Scholar
#5 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 5:26 AM
That seems really confusing since Windows 7 should cost like $100... but for you it doesn't change the price. Can you tell me exactly what items are in your cart? Give me that part number.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 3:52 PM
The default is probably Windows 8, so I wouldn't be surprised if switching to Win7 actually reduced the price, unless you're switching from a low-grade edition of Win8 to a high-grade edition of Win7.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 7:17 PM Last edited by amberland : 1st Nov 2013 at 7:40 PM.
Nysha is right. The computer comes with Win 8. I've heard that Win 7 is better for the Sims 3, so I changed the OS to that. That shouldn't effect the price.

The only thing in my cart is the computer I'm trying to buy. Here is a link to it.
http://secure.us.ncix.com/ncixpc/pc...ew.cfm?id=10001

But after dealing with them over email yesterday and trying many different ways to get this computer, I'm wondering if I should try buying a computer someplace else.

Here is a list of configurations I have tried when ordering this computer

"Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition instead of Win 8" (+$0)
"Removed WD 2T SATA" (-$106)
"added LG GH22NS70 Super Multi 22X SATA DVD Writer" (+$25)
Price before adding to Shopping Cart: $1223
Price after adding to Shopping Cart: $1,443.08
(that's an insane addition of $220)

"added Samsung DVDRW 22X SATA Black OEM" (+$17)
Price before adding to Shopping Cart: $1210
Price after adding to Shopping Cart: $1,241.10

"did not add a DVD Drive"
Price before adding to Shopping Cart: $1193
Price after adding to Shopping Cart: $1,215.12

"kept unneeded 2T HD"
Price before adding to Shopping Cart: $1299
Price after adding to Shopping Cart: $1,305.59

The only way I can get the system to not jump in price is to not make any changes it. But I don't want Win 8 and I certainly don't want to pay $106 for an additional hard drive that I don't need. I thought that maybe it was some hidden fee for making changes to a prebuilt system, but that one DVD Drive made the price jump more than $200, so it seems like it might just be a bug on their end.

[edit] I looked around TigerDirect.com and NewEgg.com and didn't find anything there. The problem seems to be that I want Win 7 and a SSD. And although they do have some nice prebuilt systems that fit into my budget ($1,200), they don't have any that have both of those and I don't see any way of customizing a computer on their sites.
Scholar
#8 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 8:59 PM
amberland, try this. Go to NCIX.com and clear your cart, such that it says "Your shopping cart is empty!". Then add the following items, just follow the link I've provided and click the red "Add to Shopping Cart" button (Some of the items I'm listing are on sale, so check the price once it's in your cart.).

1. PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased ($50.51)
  2. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64Bit SP1 DVD OEM ($84.99)
  3. Intel Core i5 4430 Quad Core 3.0GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail ($189.99)
  4. ASUS H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 H87 DDR3 Motherboard ($114.99)
  5. G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory ($82.99)
  6. Samsung 840 Evo Series MZ-7TE250BW 250GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit Version ($169.99)
  7. ASUS GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 1075MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card ($289.99)
  8. Seasonic S12II 620W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E w/ 120mm Fan ($74.31)
  9. Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Gaming Case ATX 3X5.25 4X3.5 Front USB Audio No PSU ($79.99)

Total 9 items: $1137.75 + tax + shipping

They will assemble the above items for you and ship it to you. Expect about two weeks for shipping and assembly. If the system I've put together is too expensive, I can swap the 250GB SSD I included for a 128GB one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 10:33 PM
Thanks Ajaxsirius, that looks good. I'm still trading emails with customer service and they are trying to fix the problem. But if they can't fix it (or if I give up on them), I'll definitely try your method.
Test Subject
#10 Old 2nd Nov 2013 at 4:58 AM
i have more and less this config, (GTX 760, i5, 8G) but no SSD (i found still too expensive) i bought it 2 or 3 years ago and i only updated the graphic card this summer. (i m so happy with this card and its low price!)

sims3 is good running with it (skyrim full modded too)

Living in China so when you want a build, you just go upstairs in the big computer shopping mails with your list and they do it in front of you.