Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2017 at 11:38 PM
Default Changing residential building interactions?
Heyo! I'm new to the forums but not new to TS3, got about 560hrs now I think!

I've always wanted to try and mod the game myself, instead of downloading one, but to be honest, I'm finding the guides rather confusing, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry if this is the wrong forum!

Basically, it's just a burglary mod
  • Sets the "Break In" option onto every building, instead of just the investigated one
  • Makes the option only available at the times a Kleptomaniac can steal

How would I go about doing this? I am very knowledgeable in C# but know nothing whatsoever about the different types of mod etc.
Also, this is not a mod request, I want to try this myself. Not saying someone else isn't allowed to make it, just please don't send me a link to yours :p

Thanks in advance,
Boop
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 12th May 2017 at 2:41 PM
Hmm i think it does requires at least a basic knowledge of C# to understand what's going on whenever following those guides. I remember being entirely lost at first, then, when I got somewhat into C# I eventually got to understand what they were trying to do. So I'd try getting more into C# first for sure. or at least, the basics.

Secondly, I usually check if the actual option is already available by just tuning the XML file. For example, the reason why there's a 'water will break when sim goes into labor' mod, is due to it already existing in the script itself but got set to 'false' due to whatever reason. So that one was already an existing thing. Of course you wanna check out the ITUN files as well. The DMTR files aren't really important, or well... they are whenever a NPC is involved but usually you don't have to edit those. Those two things do sound like regular tuning mods to me.

I really like your username by the way! :P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th May 2017 at 3:01 PM
Pff, thanks, I've had it for years so it's just stuck now :p

So tuning mods are like, the setting's already there as EA's debug, but was "removed" when it was released, and you simply turn it on again?

Also, I think you misread, I said I'm very knowledgeable in C#, currently doing a computer science course at uni :p

Thanks for the reply!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th May 2017 at 4:01 PM
Ok, quick update, there doesn't seem to be an option for it, as far as I can see. I had a few difficulties with getting things to work, unfortunately it seems I can't save and open packages in notepad or notepad++, only through s3pe's "notepad" option

So what's the best strategy next? I'm not about to give up on this, I'm bored as hell and want a family of nasty burglar lads
Inventor
#5 Old 12th May 2017 at 4:56 PM
Each interaction has a bunch of stuff associated with it -- who can use it (humans? dogs? occult? children? adults? etc.), what it does to your motives (eg. eating improves hunger, exercise decreases hygiene), what it advertises (e.g. autonomous sims who need fun are likely to do this thing), whether it can be done autonomously or not, whether it can be done by pregnant sims or not, whether it can be done on a community lot, etc. etc. and so forth.

Tuning mods change that stuff.

One thing you might try is NRaas Retuner: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Retuner

This does the same thing as individual tuning mods, but using a menu system in the game. I like it because it allows me to brows through tuning options and turn them on and off in the game to see what happens immediately. It's still going to take a lot of learning -- this is a huge game, and there are a TON of tunings. However, if you install the mod and use the City Hall menu to turn the "Object Menu" to true, then you could play as an investigator and in a situation where Break In is active, you could instead choose NRaas->Retuner->General from the pie menu. Then, at least in theory, you could look at the data for Break In and play with changing some settings. Since that's an interaction that is only active for a specific Ambitions profession ONLY on specific lots during an opportunity, I'm not entirely sure what you would see. But it's a start.

BTW: I love this idea for a mod! I'd love to have a cat burglar sim.

Echo Weaver's Simblr: http://echoweaver.tumblr.com/
A portrait in stubbornness - Playing the same legacy since 2009
Sample a Brave Legacy: http://sims3sample.illation.net
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 12th May 2017 at 5:21 PM
Hehe Excuse my tired eyes, I totally screwed up my sleeping schedule those past 3 days lol

Anyways, Hmm... Packages should be saved within S3PE not notepad. Unless you mean saving like XML files, then, you should be able to save it with notepad and S3PE should automatically refresh it for you. Tuning mods are actually options that are replaceable/adjustable without having to reopen the entire script again to edit them. However, some Tuning files happen to have those.

However, looked somewhat into the possibility of breaking into every lot, which besides breaking into community lot, seems to be something that should be scripted before being possible. Do keep in mind that the script's build in this way that the game get's to assign a random lot and sim, which you have to somehow disable/remove from the script itself. Not sure how buggy or maybe compatible that will end up to be.

Have you tried using ILspy to take a look at the script itself to see how it's written- if not- whether it's possible to adjust in a logical and non-breaking way?

EDIT: Or check out echoweaver's Nraas suggestion! Can be quite helpful too! :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th May 2017 at 6:19 PM
Echoweaver, thanks for the suggestion! Trying the mod out now, but as I said, from looking at the tuning files, there doesn't seem to be a toggleable option for it. Here's hoping though!

Greenplumbbob, probably a dumb question, but where exactly are the script files? I've heard lots of horror stories of EA's attempts at programming the game in general so it'll probably be fun to look at the others too :p
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th May 2017 at 9:49 PM
Ok, I think I found the right part, also found someone's old half-finished script and butchered some code from there

Only trouble now is that I'm not sure what exactly I'm meant to save this on? I can't find a "lot" object or similar, so thought you guys might be able to help

Tbh I know for a fact that it's not gonna work, but I wanna test it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th May 2017 at 11:26 PM
aAAAAAAAA Where is the heckin objk file for lots when you need it
Virtual gardener
#10 Old 13th May 2017 at 12:41 AM
Oh basically you need to export the DLL files first in order to check them out, which is all covered in this tutorial (See getting started): http://db.modthesims.info/wiki.php?...ripting_Modding

Then, you wanna open the DLL file in ILspy and from there you should see all the scripts ever made, but yeah EA has a lot of unfinished scripts though! Or well, ready for using but discontinued it seems. However, I don't think lots have objk files. I know sims do but I don't think lots do, unless the script somehow refers to it? But never saw that in my life.

I do think you wanna look for the detective career or at least the 'break into lot' which there seems to be an XML that's called that way.

Hope that helps!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th May 2017 at 4:56 AM
Cheers! I've been scouring through the code, begging to god that at least one part will have a comment on it somewhere.
Btw, do you know if EA has any form of basic debug message feature? Like a notification that pops up that says "that thing wot u coded did the thing" as a test? I've been trying to decrypt their notification handling system and it's like reading hieroglyphics with a kaleidoscope