Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 1:03 AM
Default Split level stairs not working!
Hello,
I looked at both tutorials and tried to follow step by step, and I always get stuck on the second flight of stairs, the ones that connect to the second floor. It just doesn't build!

Here's a screenshot.

Also, how deep would I have to dig for a house with foundations that need split level stairs? All the tutorials don't have foundations.

Screenshots
Advertisement
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 1:32 AM
I don't know why it isn't connecting. Something you can try are...

Connecting it from the top to the bottom
Adding in another tile at the bottom landing
Enclosing the room

If you want to do a split level on foundation, you would have to put a foundation piece at the bottom of a 12 click [3 sets of stairs] deep hole.

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 2:17 AM
Default Stair placement
I've had these issues as well, try removing the tile placeholders (in green) where I have circled in yellow. you can usually remove those by adding a tile on the lower landing.
see if that works....
Screenshots

ClicknPsycho
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 2:26 AM
This is so strange--- I did the same steps now and it works?

I have no idea what I was doing wrong because just right now I did the EXACT same steps I did 30 min ago... Hmmmm

Well thanks for the help! I hope this doesn't come up again, how embarassing haha.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 2:44 AM
Oh, but new question: how are we supposed to wrap the walls around the stairs after they are created? I get these two warped walls and I can't build on top of them, is there supposed to be someway to flatten them?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 1:56 PM
To the original question, one problem with stairs is that they often refuse to be placed without flooring underneath. You can delete the floor after building the stairs. Not sure if that's also the problem here. As for the warped walls, no idea. I didn't see a solution in the tutorial, I'm afraid we'll have to wait till EA gives us better stairs.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 7:43 AM
I have had the same issies...but I figured it out that if I put in the cheat Constrainfloorelevation false...it worked as intended

On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 8:08 PM
In the tutorial it tells you to put the top stairs in place first, as if you do the bottom ones first the top ones won't take.

You know where you go outside and put the set of stairs in the ground, then the second set, then you build the square. Well if your building has foundations, you put a foundation in that space the stair made before you builtd the square wall. This is why I don't do tutorials, I can't explain right. I hope you understand. If you have a foundation, foundation in hole first before square of wall, no foundation, no foundation in hole.

You don't dig, you just make the dips with two sets of stairs in the normal way.

Remember place the top stairs first.

Also, why not build the walls before you start with the stairs