Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 10:25 PM
Default Trouble Cloning Plants s3oc Unhandled Exception
I might be doing something wrong, but I seem to have problems cloning plant objects in s3oc. It rks fine with other objects, but when I try to cone a plant, it gives me this error:

Unhandled Exception
Unable to cast object of type 's3pi.DefaultResource.DefaultResource' to type 's3pi.GenericRCOLResource.GenericRCOLResource'.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 's3pi.DefaultResource.DefaultResource' to type 's3pi.GenericRCOLResource.GenericRCOLResource'.
at ObjectCloner.MainForm.VPXYs_SlurpTGIs()
at ObjectCloner.MainForm.CloneFixStart()
at ObjectCloner.TopPanelComponents.CloneFixOptions.btnStart_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Is cloning plants possible at this point, or am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I have the newest version because I downloaded this version today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 10:44 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 12th Sep 2009 at 10:55 PM.
You can't currently clone plants (aside from houseplants). The Sims 3 uses Speedtree technology for plants, and that stores the data in a completely different way than other kinds of sims 3 objects; nobody's worked out the formats or figured out how to manipulate it yet. Speedtree is used in lots of games, but TigerM was telling me the other day that he has done a search and wasn't able to turn up any game where modders had decoded or manipulated Speedtree objects. So the prospects for this changing any time soon are not good

Edit: actually, it may be able to open and manipulate plant resources using the Speedtree app itself (or the demo). Don't think anybody's succeeded in getting modified plants to work in-game yet, but Murano says he has been able to open and modify a tree.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 10:47 PM
In a way that doesn't surprise me. Plants are a little different from normal objects as they have dynamic meshes. I'll have to try making one myself and see what happens.

Edit: Oh hi Srikandi it didn't show me your post before I made mine

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#4 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 10:24 AM
I have made successful a tree, its to easy, when you have export it from S3OC, you go to S3PE export it, change the ending in spt. Manipulate it in Speetree (only the Shape) then save it as spt. And import it into S3PE. Then go to S3OC and save it like a normal Mesh. Thats it. Not very hart to make.
Screenshots
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 12:07 PM
A bugfix has just been released - see the S3OC download thread. Might be best to wait a little while till SourceForge has propagated it properly - otherwise sometimes it offers you an old version.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Don't ask me, I just code
#6 Old 13th Sep 2009 at 12:21 PM
The links should never go to an old version: just the front page (and that only has s3pe).