Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2009 at 10:04 PM
Shoe Mesh Issue (Ankle Alignment)
G'day. I seem to be having some issues with the ankle alignment on a shoe mesh I am working on. Given that I have only really worked on small accessories and some hair conversions, I've never had to deal with improper alignment issues before.

I had noticed this issue on some heart heel shoes that rosesims had released a few weeks ago and made a special note in my head that if I were going to work on shoes, that I would make sure the top part of the mesh would go unmolested, as I thought the proper alignment was dependent on that. Unfortunately, it seemingly does not so I am at a loss on how to fix this.

These shoes are the suede heel mesh for ladies modified. The joints are properly done. I've compared these shoes against both the shoes they were cloned from and other CC shoes, and cannot find the determining factor that would fix this. I also severely apologise if this was addressed elsewhere, I did a search in addition to a few google searches and didn't turn up anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if I were missing something incredibly simple.

Attached files:
File Type: zip  v4ROCKINGHORSE - SIMGEOM file.zip (16.1 KB, 38 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 1:49 AM
I looked this over carefully, including loading the referenced .skcon file and the original mesh, and examined all the bone assignment values, and you seem to have accomplished your objective of keeping the ankle vertices aligned with the originals.

But, the assignment values and skin weights on the top row differ from the original, in particular the right foot. I didn't study the values for the rest of the foot carefully, but for all the body parts that join other parts (top/bottom, top/head and foot/bottom) the design requires that not only the vertex locations be identical, but the assignments, too. This is necessary so that when the pieces are stuck together and animated, that the row at the bottom of the leg and the row at the top of the foot are animated in synch, so no gap develops.

However, what I saw would indicate only the right foot would have a gap. But, perhaps the same problem (altered assignments) exists on the bottom? I don't know whether it is an EA mesh or a modified one, but the only way the shoes and legs will all be interchangeable is if the all have one standard meet point and weighting.

The critical part is just the top row of 9 vertices on each foot. That is few enough you could write them down with paper and pencil, but I think all 9 for each foot are the same (obviously, not to the other foot). You could study these values as used on the pants/bottom mesh, too. All must match for a seamless animation.

<* Wes *>

EDIT: I meant to mention that I was amused by your tinfoil hat avatar. Quite clever and well done.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 3:48 AM Last edited by aarin : 10th Sep 2009 at 8:06 AM.
What I had actually done to save time and my sanity was simply worked on one cloned shoe (the left one that seems like it is properly jointed), duplicated then mirrored it, then redid the assignments from scratch. I obviously did not do a fantastic job, though I did spend a little extra time mucking with the top verticles of the right foot copying over and adjusting the bone assignments. I suppose I did not do a great job about it, and will go back and double-double check against the EA default shoe and a pair of ladies trousers or a skirt.

--

Edit: I spent a while going over the verticles, making sure they were properly replicating the values of the original. My first export still suffered from ankle issues so I decided to go back to the original, move a few things around, save out and load into the game. While I had not touched the joints at all, the ankles were still mucked up.

Upon morbid curiosity, I decided to use CTU to create a new shoe package out of the unedited shoe mesh I had extracted. It exhibited the same ankle issues. So it's not a joint issue, I'm guessing. At this point I am guessing it is an issue with CTU, but I've never heard of anyone having shoe issues with it so it's probably a pebkac issue.
Alchemist
#4 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 4:09 AM
You should reserve issuing payment until you verify that my prescription works. However, the issue is not really new, nor unique to TS3, although TS2 did not have separate feet. The same issues crop up at the waist and the neck.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.