Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:04 AM Last edited by 5M0K3 : 26th Nov 2011 at 8:20 PM.
Best Free Anti-Virus Program?!
Okay. So my computer recently took a major virus hit, and honestly I got a little freaked out because I haven't had one in a very long time. I've been downloading trials for free computer virus programs (that have been recommended) but once the trial is over, my computer is 100% vulnerable again. I use System Restore (Windows function) when I get a virus, and it works, the only problem is, it works AFTER the virus has done whatever it was supposed to do. I think the last virus - that I got like, 10 minutes ago - was the worst, since it said it was emailing all this stuff (It popped up very fast, but some of the "subjects" were "Find Girl", "Fuck", and "Hey") then another window popped up, showing me the usernames and passwords for EVERY website I have EVER made an account on. Emails, MTS, YouTube, Facebook, Myspace, even stuff I don't check anymore. It also showed me some of my friends' passwords for their Facebook (if they've checked it on my computer) and said it was sending it to the Internet. And of course I freaked out.

I'm too paranoid to Google "free anti-virus programs" (esp. since lots of viruses claim to be free anti-virus programs), and I'd much rather take the opinion of an actual person, than a search engine that only shows things according to relevancy. Please help!

Here is my most recent computer history, I put a red box around when the virus hit.
Screenshots
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:11 AM
AVG is free and works great.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
AVG is free and works great.
I downloaded AVG pretty recently, and it said I had to download the trial version, which I did, and now it says I lost AVG protection.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:17 AM
The only trial versions are the non-free ones. The free version is still fully free, without any trial involved.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#5 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:19 AM
go to downloads.cnet ( i believe is correct) you can download a free version of AVG there, even internet security programs. I myself have used AVG, but i personally like AVAST. but u have to keep re-registering for them, ever so often. (its free and quick to do) but Avast will restart and scan ur entire computer for viruses, it make take some time if u already have some on there. ( it will give u the option to delete or move the viruses to a vault so u have to check on it every once in a while to see how its doing.

Hope that helps
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:40 AM
Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

You can get it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you hit Download now you can get the free version and it is great at detecting and getting rid of viruses and other crap.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:51 AM
I second the Malwarebytes recommendation, but it's also best to pair it with a program that's explicitly anti-virus. That way you'll have a full defense against a wide range of viruses and other malware. Malwarebytes is designed to not interfere with most anti-virus programs in case you were wondering about potential clashes and resource hogging. The only issue I've had with that was when I had McAfee VirusScan as my anti-virus program. I currently use avast as my anti-virus system and it works quite well for a free program.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BurgundyStars
I second the Malwarebytes recommendation, but it's also best to pair it with a program that's explicitly anti-virus.

I have Malwarebytes paired with Webroot Anti-Virus and it's been able to keep the viruses away, but Webroot doesn't have a free version, and I don't like Avast. My laptop got hosed by a virus even with Avast installed.
Instructor
#9 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 2:58 AM
I use the Free Avast service it works great for me even though sometimes I still get viruses occasionally its very easy to remove them with Avast and I haven't had any serious problems since installing it. And trust me after having my computer compleatly wipped last may I wouldn't risk crap protection. But I have to agree that some aditional anti-malware isn't a bad idea.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 3:02 AM
I use Clam AV and it works very well. Completely free.
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 3:05 AM
You can always use Avast, it's free and it has some nice features.

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Scholar
#12 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 3:30 AM
If you have windows, then windows defender is the best by far (between Windows Defender or Avira). Today, I was surfing the web, and I went to DeviantART, when a huge, awful trojan virus latched onto my computer. I spent a good part of the morning trying to turn activate Avira (which randomly turns itself off and hates me with a passion. the feeling is mutual.) and finally said Screw this, I'm letting Windows handle it. Windows scanned and got rid of it, but I got another one, which Avira (which loosened up enough to let me use it) only quarantined. I haven't had any problems since, but Windows Defender actually cooperated.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Scholar
#13 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 6:52 AM
superantispyware (better then AVG for the harder oh f-ck moments), AVG, and Windows Security Essentials are all good ones.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Inventor
#14 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 6:53 AM
I don't think that Windows Defender is an actual full anti-virus program, I'm pretty sure that it's just a firewall, minimogut, which means you're putting yourself at a pretty big risk. I would look into anti-virus protection if I were you.

As for my anti-virus, I just installed Avast when Norton ran out. I like it a lot better than Norton as well, it doesn't annoy me with pop-ups and the like all the time or fill my e-mail box with spam from the company. >:/
Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 6:53 AM
I would go with either Avast or WIndows Security Eseentials personally. I have AVAST installed.
#16 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:31 PM
yea AVGs sitereport saved me some grief quite a few times. I've only had one virus that I couldn't clear with malwarebytes but otherwise its a pretty useful tool
Banned
#17 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:34 PM
Am I the only one who think the typo in the title of the thread is funny?
#18 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:40 PM
wow didn't even notice
Scholar
#19 Old 26th Nov 2011 at 1:47 PM
Yeah but if I said get a good ant spray ant they might do it. Of course I could just take it to the vet but pretty certian they wouldn't know how to cure an ant-virus.... HEY we've all been off topic, even the poster.

PS: She missed another potential infection on the list; or at least the source of.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lance
Am I the only one who think the typo in the title of the thread is funny?

Erm... what typo? DX
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 9:36 PM
I use Malwarebytes with Avast (and my Firewall). All freeware off the net. From your description, I'd get on it pronto and run a full system scan with Malwarebytes first off, followed by a full system scan with Avast (or AVG). It might take a while but it will be worthwhile. Your computer should run better afterwards too. Then run a scan with your firewall - just for good measure.

Oh, then go out and change your passwords.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Banned
#22 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight_frog
Erm... what typo? DX

It was typed as Ant-Virus.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 10:00 PM
Personally AVG has worked real well for me.. Along with SpyBot. Together my system stays clean.. That is as long as I am not down loading at the sims exchange.. When will I ever learn
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#24 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 10:23 PM
AVG and Avast! are pretty much on a par as the best free anti-viruses. Malwarebytes is great, but since it doesn't do any constant monitoring, you won't want to use it alone - especially if you're getting those kinds of worms. Though frankly, the second one sounds like a hoax.

But, as everyone should be aware, there is no such thing as a perfect anti-virus. Every now and then, any of them will miss something or be successfully attacked itself. There are viruses which can disable anti-viruses. So in addition to using a decent anti-virus... stop doing things which result in you picking up viruses in the first place! I always use anti-virus (Avast! is my poison), but even then, I only get or block viruses once every year or two. Being careful what you click on is just as important as software.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#25 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
AVG and Avast! are pretty much on a par as the best free anti-viruses. Malwarebytes is great, but since it doesn't do any constant monitoring, you won't want to use it alone - especially if you're getting those kinds of worms. Though frankly, the second one sounds like a hoax.

But, as everyone should be aware, there is no such thing as a perfect anti-virus. Every now and then, any of them will miss something or be successfully attacked itself. There are viruses which can disable anti-viruses. So in addition to using a decent anti-virus... stop doing things which result in you picking up viruses in the first place! I always use anti-virus (Avast! is my poison), but even then, I only get or block viruses once every year or two. Being careful what you click on is just as important as software.

your right, thus why I learned about Superantispyware because I got one of those fake anti-virus and none of the others was finding it and removing it. I had to get that to remove it... Then at one time I had to use malwarebytes because I had one that erased many of my regishtery keys and turned into a bastard.

But becareful because certian combinations of programs CAN cancel each other out. More isn't always the better, but knowing what programs to get for certian types of infections is good. Firewalls will always be the best line of defense, if you can stop em from getting in in the first place all the better.

Page 1 of 2