Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 10:32 PM Last edited by 123blissb : 19th Jul 2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: updated count list
What is the best eReader in your opinion?
I have been looking for a ereader for some time now, and I just can't decide what type of ereader would work. Do you have suggestions/opinions/stay away from this/criticism for ereaders? Price and weight is a big consideration point. I need to be able to carry it to and from classes, and I am a heavy reader.

Some types of eReaders (Updated July 19)
Amazon Kindle

Dasie
ChloroformDreams
laceyharkness
unalisaa

Kobo

none

iPad (*snort* Had to put it out there)

longears15
CmarNYC

Nook/Nook Color

morphead
hello2u08

Thanks,

~123blissb

"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert Heinlein
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 7:11 AM
I've only ever used the Kindle, but it's light, thin, easy to use, and very clear to read on.

As for
Quote: Originally posted by 123blissb
I need to be able to carry it to and from classes, and I am a heavy reader.
you realise it doesn't get heavier the more books you put on it, right? d:

One S, two As.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 9:24 AM
I have a Nook Color and I love it! It's not that heavy, and has a great screen. The sound is good when listening to music while reading and the browser is great. Since it runs on Android it has apps too which is nice. I can read an average 300pg book a day, so it gets a lot of use.

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 3:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by unalisaa
I've only ever used the Kindle, but it's light, thin, easy to use, and very clear to read on.
As for you realize it doesn't get heavier the more books you put on it, right? d:

Yes, I do But, I don't want to be carrying around a thick ereader all day. I would just switch to regular books.

Quote: Originally posted by morphead
I have a Nook Color and I love it! It's not that heavy, and has a great screen. The sound is good when listening to music while reading and the browser is great. Since it runs on Android it has apps too which is nice. I can read an average 300pg book a day, so it gets a lot of use.

I was looking into the Nook Color at my local Best Buy a few weeks ago, and I liked it.(Also because it is a color ereader). Also unalisaa, I think the Kindle might be a competitor because of the large book store it has behind it. The Nook only has B&N Bookstores with it I believe.

~123blissb

-Robert Heinlein
Forum Resident
#5 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 12:55 AM
The Nook can also read .epub, .txt, and .pdf files as well.

Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 1:00 AM
^ You can read those on a Kindle, too.

I can't tell you which option is best, but I love my Kindle for its simplicity. The menus can be a little laggy, but once you're reading it's quick and easy.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 1:36 AM
I may be wrong about this since it was I while ago I was looking into purchasing an e-reader, but I believe that the Nook Color is harder on the eyes and much more difficult to read outside than the Kindle (due to the Kindle's e-ink screen). If that would factor into your decision.

The Dawson Diaries
(A Random Legacy)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 5:51 PM
Thank you again, morphead, Daisie, and ChloroformDreams for responding

Quote: Originally posted by morphead
The Nook can also read .epub, .txt, and .pdf files as well.

Yay for PDF!

Quote: Originally posted by Daisie
You can read those on a Kindle, too. I can't tell you which option is best, but I love my Kindle for its simplicity. The menus can be a little laggy, but once you're reading it's quick and easy.

Ohhhh. well then... Nook and Kindle seem to be head to head. Or, page to page?

Quote: Originally posted by ChloroformDreams
I may be wrong about this since it was I while ago I was looking into purchasing an e-reader, but I believe that the Nook Color is harder on the eyes and much more difficult to read outside than the Kindle (due to the Kindle's e-ink screen). If that would factor into your decision.

Score on for the Kindle! Kindle is at three, and Nook/Nook Color at one. Sorry morphead!

~123blissb

-Robert Heinlein
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 8:26 PM
I take my kindle with me wherever I go. I love that it can hold so many books and magazines. I have tendency to scan Amazon every now and then to see if there are any new freebies that sound interesting to me. It's one of the things, and I love how it formats the PDFs to make it easy to read. It's probably the best purchase I've ever made, as both my husband and I read a lot and we live in a very limited space so that's nice.

the only downside I've found is I can't get my public library's e-books on it, but other than that, I'd go with the Kindle.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 9:03 PM
+1 for the Kindle.

You also might consider an Android tablet. That's what I use for reading eBooks. It's heavier than a Kindle, but does a lot more. (I replaced my netbook/laptop with it.) Just something else to consider. I have the Acer Iconia a500.

Cait

"If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is ‘God is crying’. And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is ‘Probably because of something you did’."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Inventor
#11 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 123blissb
iPad (*snort* Had to put it out there)

Actually, I've got an iPad...I won it, I didn't buy it, but I love it to bits. You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands before I part with it. It's easy to DL any books from the istore of course, but you can DL in other formats and from other sources as well. The on-screen layout of the book is lovely too.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Field Researcher
#12 Old 17th Jul 2011 at 6:21 PM
True, but the iPad screen is, well, a screen. What I love about the Kindle is that it's clear even in direct sunlight, and it has next to no battery usage. Also, it has a new pretty picture every time you turn it off.

One S, two As.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 6:37 PM
Nook all the way!
It has the same direct sunlight thing as the kindle, and a touch screen
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#14 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 11:07 PM
For portability you can't beat an IPOD touch (or IPhone) with an ebook app like Kindle, Kobo, or Nook. Same for an Android phone or a Blackberry - if you have one you can just load the Kindle, Kobo, or Nook app. I like Kindle especially because you can save your place on one device and open the book to the same place on another.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 11:46 PM
CmarNYC: I am using the iBook app right now, but you can't use a tablet/laptop/phone during class at my school.
GirlGeek19: Yay for Acer! And yes, the Kindle is being pushed really hard on my TV right now. Commercial, Kindle Commercial, repeat.

I will be updating the first post with the "scores" for each eReader.

-Robert Heinlein
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 12:53 AM
Just wanted to mention that there's a huge difference between the Nook and the Nook Color. The normal Nook is more like the Kindle in that the screen can be read in direct sunlight and isn't as hard on the eyes. The Nook Color's screen is more like the iPad's or any tablet really. Really, I would suggest you read some reviews comparing the different e-readers if you haven't already, so you can get a better idea of the pros/cons.

The Dawson Diaries
(A Random Legacy)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 4:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChloroformDreams
Just wanted to mention that there's a huge difference between the Nook and the Nook Color. The normal Nook is more like the Kindle in that the screen can be read in direct sunlight and isn't as hard on the eyes. The Nook Color's screen is more like the iPad's or any tablet really. Really, I would suggest you read some reviews comparing the different e-readers if you haven't already, so you can get a better idea of the pros/cons.

I believe the Nook has a E-Ink Pearl, with the Nook Color having a screen like the iPad. I mean, you can root the Nook Color to run Android. (Honeycomb or Gingerbread?) The Nook does have a color display on the bottom, not touching the main reading display, with the Nook Color having one screen to read on.

~123blissb

-Robert Heinlein
Forum Resident
#18 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by laceyharkness
the only downside I've found is I can't get my public library's e-books on it, but other than that, I'd go with the Kindle.

Later this year, supposedly, Kindle is going to be made compatible with OverDrive, the common ebook loan management system in public libraries.

For people who are interested in ereaders, I will also suggest investigating whether your local library system has ereaders on hand. Some libraries keep preloaded ereaders in stock that they'll check out to patrons.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tempscire
Later this year, supposedly, Kindle is going to be made compatible with OverDrive, the common ebook loan management system in public libraries.

For people who are interested in ereaders, I will also suggest investigating whether your local library system has ereaders on hand. Some libraries keep preloaded ereaders in stock that they'll check out to patrons.

You're kidding. You are really serious? YAY FOR OVERDRIVE!!

My library's "new" computers are running a older Microsoft XP. They don't have eReaders. *sad face*

~123blissb

-Robert Heinlein
Test Subject
#20 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 3:33 AM
Nook is a good choice.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alice89
Nook is a good choice.

I do like the part about rooting a Nook with Android.. hmm...

Quick question: does the Kindle handle ePUB? Can it?

~123blissb

-Robert Heinlein
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:36 PM
Yes. But you'd need to convert them first with a program like Calibre.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:41 PM
I got a kindle for my birthday and I really like it. I still buy books if I really want a hard copy, but I really love that I can download a book there and then. I sit out by the pool all the time and read in the sun with no problems. This might sound silly, but I like that I don't have to worry about getting a book tan line since it's light and I can hold it up instead of in my lap. Plus, I have the Kindle App on my iPhone and computer if I want to read on the go and I don't have my kindle for whatever reason.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Yes. But you'd need to convert them first with a program like Calibre.

You have to convert them first? I thought it was the public format or whatever? Nook can handle them as-is.

Scholar
#25 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 10:33 PM
Well I did this same thing at xmas. I put the Nook Color and Kindle head to head. In the end, the Nook won out for me and here's why...

1. Not being a fan of the sun and doing most of my reading inside at night, the fact that the Nook has a lit (adjustable intensity too) screen means I can read it in the dark. Kindle requires a separate book light.
2. The color screen. I can watch movies....or let my daughter watch movies on it in the car. Great picture and sound.
3. I can store other media...like movies, pictures and music.

So for me I like that it's a little more versatile than just an e-reader, but not as big and expensive as an Ipad. It all really depends on what you'll use it for.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Page 1 of 2