Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 3:33 AM Last edited by lloyd118 : 30th Nov 2016 at 6:40 AM.
Default Rock terrain not working properly?
Hello,
I'm very confused as I have put down lots of rock pain and it isn't working like rock on some parts, horses can graze there and it sounds like grass, I'm wondering if its cos I used individual layer mode to place the rock? Though I have used individual layer mode a lot and nothing like this has happened. I think individual layer mode has broken of something.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 8:33 AM
Did you chose the terrain sound when you edited the terrain texture?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 8:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
Did you chose the terrain sound when you edited the terrain texture?
Yup It appears using individual layer mode stops that rock from working on this world, I have been using individual layer mode throughout the world so worried its gone wrong. As at one point during the world it wasn't working at all. I'm probably gonna have to scrap it unless i can get some one to take a look. There is a layer of dark grass under the rock and when its removed the rock takes over way to much of the map. Even when i delete the layer and re paint it there are still area's that aren't right, I'm so down as I reinstalled it 100 times trying to find whats up :L
dodgy builder
#4 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 10:48 AM
I must admit this issue has never really bothered me, it might be because I didn't have that many horses or didn't really care too much about them.

I'm not entirely convinced it's in the games ability to really distinguish between rock and grass, but it might have to do with how you blend the different texture layers together.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 4:42 PM Last edited by lloyd118 : 30th Nov 2016 at 4:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I must admit this issue has never really bothered me, it might be because I didn't have that many horses or didn't really care too much about them.

I'm not entirely convinced it's in the games ability to really distinguish between rock and grass, but it might have to do with how you blend the different texture layers together.

It bothers me tbh I have never had this before so am very confused. Is this normal then? has it happened to you? I tried deleting the layers and repainted some of it without using individual layer mode and nothing changes the rocks still not apperently rock in some parts.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 8:44 PM
I'm thinking if you want them to not feed there or whatever it's called, I would just paint it unroutable.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Nov 2016 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm thinking if you want them to not feed there or whatever it's called, I would just paint it unroutable.
I have figured out one way I think(hopeXD) is working and that is to erase the grass beneath the rock, it takes a while but good results hopefully, I did test it a bit and so far so good.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 9:00 AM
Thank you for sharing! It's good to have in mind when doing a horse-friendly neighbourhood. I never paid attention to this detail before
Inventor
#9 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 1:43 PM
According to the graze interaction script, when autonomous, horses don't check the terrain type probably because of performance reasons. Such thing doesn't happen when user directed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 3:19 PM Last edited by lloyd118 : 2nd Dec 2016 at 3:43 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
According to the graze interaction script, when autonomous, horses don't check the terrain type probably because of performance reasons. Such thing doesn't happen when user directed.
The thing is hardly any of it was working even on hills, I had to erase the dark grass I put underneath the rock for it to work. This has only happened to me once I have used this rock on flat land and it works fine in other worlds, though I think it's the first time for me using this grass underneath rock. If you were right then how comes when I completely remove the grass, nearly all of the ground (including the base grass) becomes non grazing. Plus the rock sound didn't work till I erased some of the grass underneath .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
Thank you for sharing! It's good to have in mind when doing a horse-friendly neighbourhood. I never paid attention to this detail before
I just glad erasing it is working haha. XD