Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
Well I did this same thing at xmas. I put the Nook Color and Kindle head to head. In the end, the Nook won out for me and here's why...

1. Not being a fan of the sun and doing most of my reading inside at night, the fact that the Nook has a lit (adjustable intensity too) screen means I can read it in the dark. Kindle requires a separate book light.
2. The color screen. I can watch movies....or let my daughter watch movies on it in the car. Great picture and sound.
3. I can store other media...like movies, pictures and music.

So for me I like that it's a little more versatile than just an e-reader, but not as big and expensive as an Ipad. It all really depends on what you'll use it for.

I agree. Since it has apps, I often listen to Pandora while reading. Good speaker.

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#27 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by morphead
You have to convert them first? I thought it was the public format or whatever? Nook can handle them as-is.

As far as I know, you still need to convert them for the Kindle. I think it's something that will be changed with future Kindles. I was looking for an eReader at the beginning of the year. I ended up getting a tablet instead (mainly because I was thinking of getting a laptop at the time, too)- but before I did, I was going to get the Nook mainly because of the kinds of books I could get.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
As far as I know, you still need to convert them for the Kindle. I think it's something that will be changed with future Kindles.

To my knowledge it hasn't been confirmed but it seems like a promising possibility.

Thank goodness. My biggest problem with the Kindle was how over-proprietary it is. It seems they're finally correcting that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 24th Jul 2011 at 5:20 PM
Or you could covert it with the Stanza Desktop. It also has a iOS app, like the Kindle. (Stanza, not... yeah.) But I think you can DRM encrypt ePub files, so you need to decrypt them. (To prevent files from becoming stolen) but its pointless when you can just download a free program to decrypt them.

~123blissb

"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert Heinlein
Page 2 of 2