Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#1001 Old 27th Jun 2023 at 12:36 PM
The Luminaries

Set in the small town of Hemlock Falls, the novel follows Winnie, an exile from an ancient society that protects humanity from monsters and nightmares. Winnie is determined to restore her family's good name by taking the deadly hunter trials on her sixteenth birthday.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/th...n=9781250896155

I'm literally only a few pages in; the book is fine thus so far. Part of my brain though keeps thinking it should be Moonlight Falls rather than Hemlock Falls. Moonlight Falls is the world in TS3 Supernatural. I can't blame Maxis for this problem, but

Clearly the part of my brain where sims sit needs to be re-programmed or de-programmed depending on how a person looks at things. This isn't worst problem to have, but it is annoying.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#1002 Old 1st Jul 2023 at 12:44 AM
I'm reading Tess Gerritsen
Bloodstream (pol. Nosiciel) now
I love all her medical thrillers.

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Theorist
#1003 Old 9th Jul 2023 at 3:44 PM
The Luminaries- This book is not bad, I'm halfway through it. There is something about it though that is rubbing me the wrong way. Instead of putting it away temporarily, I haven't been reading any books which is dumb. There is nobody twisting my arm while telling me that I have to finish a book that isn't my thing. It is going back to the bookcase. If I end up ignoring it for a few months, I'll donate it.

New book that I'm going to start today once I'm done cleaning up all the micro messes that have taken over my house: The Serpent & The Wings of Night.
Alchemist
#1004 Old 6th Aug 2023 at 1:55 PM
Currently reading Jill Haven's Divine Dragons -series through about tenth time now. Guardian Dragons -series is also excellent but I always seem to go back to Divine Dragons. I managed to buy two of the five books (His Elder Dragon and His Dragon Protector) from Amazon but can't find the rest three books. Isn't paperback appreciated anymore? They only seem to be available either audiobooks, ebooks or kindle. I just prefer real books, real paper. Maybe I'm old fashioned.
Alchemist
#1005 Old 6th Aug 2023 at 7:42 PM
Meteor.
Okay I mean, I started it 6 months ago, and forgot about it for 2 weeks, re-started. Forgot about it and the cycle continued so far. But yeah, Meteor.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#1006 Old 6th Aug 2023 at 8:40 PM
I'm reading the Silo series by Hugh Howie, after seeing the Silo TV series. Really gripping, such great sci-fi!

@Johnny_Bravo Who is Meteor by, please?
Alchemist
#1007 Old 7th Aug 2023 at 11:00 AM
@simsample

It's by Dan Brown. Considering that I've liked his stuff so far, I'm surprised I'm not actively reading it.

#1008 Old 7th Aug 2023 at 4:41 PM
@Johnny_Bravo Oh, I looked and Meteor is apparently the German title for Deception Point? I read a couple of the early Dan Brown novels but gave up on him pretty early because I hated his writing. I'll try to get a copy of this one though and give him a second chance, because the subject is right up my alley. I checked goodreads and the reviews were NOT good:

Oh well, I'm going to give it a try after I've finished Silo! How are you liking it so far?
Screenshots
Alchemist
#1009 Old 7th Aug 2023 at 9:27 PM
@simsample These reviews aren't wrong I'm not that far into the story yet, it's alright.

#1010 Old 7th Aug 2023 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
@simsample These reviews aren't wrong I'm not that far into the story yet, it's alright.

Now I'mdefinitely going to read it... it's on my list!
Scholar
#1011 Old 7th Dec 2023 at 1:39 AM Last edited by Elynda : 7th Dec 2023 at 1:53 PM.
Light reading is more my cup of tea just lately, rather than serious literature. So I'm reading 'Pirates of the Main', printed in the 'Boys & Girls Book' for 1938. It is a ripping good yarn, if you are not too picky and don't mind a few plot holes, (which I suspect may be due to the original book being abridged). Although it is supposed to be set in the early 20th century, some of the characters are straight out of the 18th, from the way they talk. There is one character named Doubloon Tom who, in spite of his name, an eye patch, owning a parrot that keeps reciting macabre verses about bloodthirsty piratical deeds, and him beginning almost every other sentence with "By thunder!", is not actually a pirate, but one of the good guys. But his language owes more than a little to Long John Silver: I've lost count of the times he's said "you may lay to it". He hasn't said "Arr Jim lad" yet, but that's only because the boy protagonist's name is Harry. The day he meets any young man named Jim he will certainly say it. In fact you may lay to it.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Test Subject
#1012 Old 11th Dec 2023 at 9:07 PM
I’m reading The Eye of the World a high fantasy novel by Robert Jordan, the first book of The Wheel of Time series. I loved The Lord of the Rings so thought I’d try this series
Theorist
#1013 Old 3rd Mar 2024 at 3:39 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 11th Mar 2024 at 3:51 PM.
The Fine Print- Lauren Asher

EDIT: Finished and meh.

I do like the authors writing style, so I'm going to try a different book. This book wasn't nearly as fun as I thought it was going to be.
Theorist
#1014 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 3:48 PM
Cresent City: House of Earth and Blood- Sarah J Maas
Theorist
#1015 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 2:45 PM
The dreaded reading slump. I'm not currently in one, but I have two books I started last year that couldn't keep my attention if my life depended on it. Perhaps listening to people talking about them affected the way I feel about them.

Why Reading Slumps Happen: Understanding Attunement and Attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJqgb6Vv-o
Page 41 of 41