Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 8:20 AM
Adelaide
Note: hi guys, this is my first story here. I just wanted to say that a lot of the stories I read on here are so great, and just like a lot of others, I've been inspired to start my own. For the prologue chapter, I just wanted to apologize that the pictures arent larger, I accidently shot them in medium mode without realizing. Bear with me as this will change in the following chapters. Thanks so much in advance for reading - comments are always welcome =D

Prologue

I couldnt stop staring at the pink house. It was just hideous, quite an eyesore, actually. I dont know how long I've been standing in front of it, but I was pretty sure that the taxi that had dropped off my dog, Princess Peach, and I, had probably reached the next town.

She couldnt be serious, I thought. My mother's lawyer had visited me two weeks ago. I had not spoken to her since I was 19, now 25, her lawyer was paying me a visit. No good news ever comes from your estranged mother's lawyer paying you a visit. He told me what I thought I would here. My mother had died. From lung cancer. Sure. Of course, I thought, she never could say no to a cigarette - or ten. But before she died, she'd written out in her will that her house/home business would be mine to keep. To do with whatever I wished. Whatever I wished....I wondered if anyone would mind me burning the hideous thing down....

Princess Peach whimpered and I walked over and opened the door for her, she sniffed around as I stared at the empty space surrounding me...and a lot of the color purple. I groaned. She never made things easy.

I realized that I was probably standing in the home business section of the house. I guess that meant that the things that I had the house movers ship over a week ago from my apartment, were sitting upstairs waiting for me. I let my shoulders slump in defeat. Okay, so if I hadnt gotten "lucky" (if you can really even call it that) with this place, I would've been homeless. My previous landlord had given me a months time to find another place because he found out Princess Peach was living with me. He went on and on about a no-pet policy before I just screamed at him that I'd remove myself from his property as soon as I found a goddamn place. Apparently this was the goddamn place I was going to be living in for the next year...or so.

I went upstairs and saw with relief that everything I had sent over, was set up for me. I hated moving. It was such a hassle and I always had a hard time with unpacking and organzing. But this was perfect. Even Princess Peach was enjoying herself.

I left her alone and walked over to the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror. I looked exactly like her. Thats what her lawyer had said. I wondered if he could see that that was exactly what I'd been worried about. Looking like her, acting like her, talking like her. I spent a good deal of my life trying not to be her, anything like her. I didnt want to hear that after a good six years of having no contact with her in anyway, that still, I was connected to her. I shook my head. I was different. Her name was Jennifer and she was an untrustworthy person. My name is Adelaide, college graduate, who made something of herself, despite what her mother thought. I looked away from the mirror and walked away in disgust.

I went about the house and cleaned up a bit here and there. Around 5 o'clock pm, I heard the movers downstairs shuffling about. Although all of my things had been delivered, they were now bringing in the products for the store. Along with the house, my mother had left me her business. "Its a Babies World." When I heard a few bangs and thumps, I figured they were moving in the cribs and changing tables. Her lawyer, Dean, had said that in order for me to pay off the mortgage on the house, I would need a job. Since my Art Gallery wasnt doing so well, I decided to quit my position and take over her job. Selling toys and cribs. After a few hours, I went downstairs and looked at the result.

I was blown away at how full the store looked within just a few hours. The set up was just perfection even if the color of the walls were giving me a headache. Even an excited Princess Peach bounded down the staircase and sniffed around eagerly. When I looked over at her, I found she had already found a favorite place to hang out.

I chuckled. She was a funny girl. I guess she thought that was the best way to protect me. I was amazed at how loyal she remained. At the pound, they warned me that her previous owners had gotten bit by her. I didnt care though, one look at her and I was in love. I think she felt the same too.

Hit by such a strong feeling of tenderness and affection, I called her out and decided to play with her for a bit. She was a happy active pup, which was one thing I truly loved about her.

When we were both tired, I went upstairs and made myself some mac n' cheese. The "lonely-man's" dinner, as my ex would call it. I wolfed it down eagerly. The day had taken its toll on me and my hunger had become evident.

Around midnight, I got into bed with a sigh. Whether I liked it or not, I realized, this was my new home. The sooner I got used it, the easier it would be for me. I didnt know anyone in this town which meant this was a whole new start for me. I guess...its better that way. Especially when you have a few demons you need to escape. As I drifted to sleep, I reassured myself that this was probably best, this was how it was probably meant to be. I was meant to have a fresh start at life. And with that thought, I slept...

...While Princess Peach kept her eyes open for me.

Chapter 1: Mr. Mole

Well I hope you guys enjoyed it, of course it is a tad slow since its just the prologue/introductory. Any feedback/comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much
2 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 5:52 PM
This story is interesting i wonder what the next chapter will be about.

~sugaplum
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 4:27 AM
Chapter 1: Mr. Mole
I woke up to a whole new day the next day. As I got ready for the new day, I realized that today would be the first day I'd have to manage the store alone. I put on my work uniform and went downstairs, ready to open the store for its grand first day. As I was getting ready to turn the closed sign over to open, I noticed a man standing outside the store door. In her eagerness to meet this stranger, Princess Peach raced outside towards him and sniffed him out. She gave me a bark when she felt it was okay for me to approach him.

I walked out towards the man dressed all in black and shook his hand with Princess Peach standing guard by my side.

"Hi, my name is Adelaide, Adelaide Post. I'm new in town." I said. He was the first person I'd met since moving in. I was almost embarrased at how eager my voice sounded. "I'm sorry about her, she's just a curious dog."

"Thats fine, I had a dog myself when I was young, I know how they like to investigate things." He smiled at me then said, "My name is John," he bowed. "I noticed that you moved in yesterday, in fact, I saw you two last night playing fetch in front of your house."

Err...I thought. What was he doing? Spying on me? And who bowed when introducing themselves? I had to keep myself from raising my brow in skepticisim.

"I used to know the woman that lived here," he nodded.
"She was a fine lady, she used to bake some cookies and give em' away free to the customers that visited her store. She'd always save some for me at the end of the day." He shrugged, "anyway, Im glad to see that someone bought her place, it was a shame to see the town's favorite store vacant."

Now I was really confused. Since when was my mother a baker? She used to be the one that was baked half the time if I rememebered correctly.
The last thing I ever remembered her even attempting to make me was toast, and she managed to burn even that. And her store was the town's favorite? I felt like I'd just entered another dimension. I cleared my throat.

"So...um, John is it?" when he nodded, I asked,"what do you do around here?

His reply was quick as it was unnerving. "I'm a mole, I spy on people," he said.

I stared at him incredulously, my heart thumping anxiously. "Are you allowed to go around telling people that?"

He gave me sort of a sheepish look. "Well, actually, I'm retired. So I guess it doesnt matter who I tell."

"Ah," I hoped he didnt notice that my voice had gone up a pitch. "Isnt it still dangerous though?"

He let out a laugh. "Im glad I amuse you," I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"No, no, I dont mean to be rude, I just thought you'd noticed how small of a town you were living in. I mean seriously, even if I told anyone else I was a spy, who would they go and tell?" He chuckled. Then almost quickly sombering up, he said, "I have to go now." He started walking away when he suddenly stopped, turned around, and yelled. "I hope to see you again Jen...err...Adelaide." He let out an embarrased laugh and said, "sorry, you just look so much like her. I got confused for a sec." And with that, he turned sharply on his heel and walked away.

I watched him leave. As I turned around to go back into the store, I stopped and looked at the house. He couldnt know, I thought. He couldnt know I was her daughter. I didnt want to be known as her daughter, I shook my head with anger. I couldnt help but wonder what kind of a relationship these two had shared. With that thought, I shuffled back into the store with a new weight of confusion on my shoulders.

For some reason, even though he was slightly creepy, I found myself very turned on by John. He was different, I thought. Although that could've been a bad thing, I didnt care. It's been a while since I liked anyone...especially since Eric.... I forced myself to stop. I couldnt think about the past anymore, especially not since I had a business to run.

Chapter 2: Open for Business

Thanks so much for your comment SugaPlum.
#4 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 11:36 AM
He's a spy and he told her?
Who's Eric?
Cant wait to find out.

~sugaplum
Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 10:25 PM
I like this story, it's good.
I like her attitude a lot,
it's not the best but it's quite funny!
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 12:53 AM
Chapter 2: Open for Business
I decided to open to the store despite the unnerving experience I just had meeting John. Inside the store, I flipped over the "closed" sign over to "open" and surveyed the room. Everything was neat and sitting in its designated place. Confidently I took my place behind the counter and waiting at the register. About a half an hour later, just as I was thinking it was going to be one hell of a slow day, this guy walked in. There was something about his stride that made me think "uh oh". He sauntered over to me with his chest puffed and stopped just in front of me.

"Hey baby, you're a fresh new face in this town", he said.

I didnt even bother to hide my dismay. I wondered why it was that guys thought that "hey baby," was the most perfect pick-up line invented. It was as if I were supposed to swoon and breathlessly pant, "take me now, lover." I rolled my eyes in annoyance and put on the most obvious fake smile I could muster.

"Hello Sir, is there something I can-"

"No no - call me, Jacob" he interrupted me. "And all I want is your number and a date with you this evening to show you around town."

I shook my head and said as politely as I could, "I'm sorry, Jacob, I'm much too swamped with things to do." I dont think he was used to being turned down because his eyes suddenly gleamed with a spark of anger.

He turned around and yelled at the other customers in the store, "guy tries to show a new chick in town a good time, and what does she do? She turns him down!"

I hissed at him through clenched teeth, "if you're going to buy something, then do it, if not - get out of my store!" I was praying he wouldnt make another scene to bother the customers browsing my store when he just gave me a sneer and walked away. I shook my head and wondered where guys like that came from.

After that scene with Jacob, everything else went smoothly. I earned my very first simoleon and got hit in the stomach while in the process of depositing it into the cash register all in one shot. After a couple more sales, I decided to call it a night and closed the shop, mouthing sorry to people who had been walking up to the shop just as I had locked the door.

After dinner, while in my pajamas and in the middle of giving Princess Peach a much needed bath, when the phone rang. I rinsed her quickly and ran to my living room to get the phone.

"Hello?"

"Is this Adelaide?" a male voice asked into the phone. When I said yes, he said, "hey this is John."

"Oh! Hello John," I realized that I was smiling. "How are you?"

"I was actually wondering if you'd like to come out to dinner with me..." I heard the nervousness in his voice.

My smile widened, "actually that sounds absolutely lovely." I heard him let out a sigh of relief.

"Great! I'll pick you up around 8," he said and before I could agree, I heard a click and realized he had already hung up.

I got into my favorite first-date dress and looked in the mirror. Ugh, I thought. I hated how I looked so plain with my glasses and hair up. I took off my glasses and let my hair down. Still wrong, I thought and gathered my hair into a low ponytail. I was much more pleased when I saw the finished result. Adding just a touch of lipstick, I smiled. I wasnt too bad to look at, I thought.

I hurried down the stairs and outside when I heard a car horn beep for me. When I was outside, I saw that a cab was waiting for me and got in. John was waiting for me in the car with a smile on his face. His excitement was evident as it was contagious that I couldnt help but smile back at him and feel a rush go through my body.

We arrived at a nice looking resturant and walked in. Before I could even sit down, however, John pulled me over to him.

I felt a wave of excitement go through my body as it hit his and our lips met in a perfect kiss. He was the first to pull away and look embarrassed.

"Im sorry, I just couldnt...help myself," he said with an apologetic smile on his face.

I just smiled at him. I really did not mind the fact that he kissed me, especially since it made me feel eager for more. As if sensing my thoughts he smiled back and asked me if I'd like to dance.

I nodded and leaned into him as he took my hand and put his other on the small of my back. We began slow dancing, our bodies so close I could smell the scent of soap on his skin. I closed my eyes and rested my chin on his shoulder, letting the music and the close swaying movements of our bodies take me away.

I was almost lost when I heard him whisper-"...you feel so good Jennifer..."

Repulsed by what he'd just whispered, my eyes snapped open and I shoved him away yelling "what?!"

Chapter 3: Shock

Thank you both SugaPlum and RosesRRed for your comments.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 1:22 AM
This story is great!
I like it a lot, I can't wait for more.

Just Call Me Allie :)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 2:07 AM
Good story.looking forward to reading more
#9 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 2:58 PM
good for her telling that guy to get out.
But John.... Ewww.
#10 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 3:24 PM
So far it's really great! I'm just working on my next chapters in my head and John Mole is one of the persons who will appear in my story! Then you can read it and compare what I've made with his life, haha.
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 7:37 PM
Chapter 3: Shock

"What is your problem?" He asked me angrily.

"You just called me Jennifer!" I exclaimed, "my name is not Jennifer." My hands were angrily clenched into fists. I surpressed the urge to strike him.

"It was just a slip of the tongue, and Im sorry, I told you that you looked like her before. She was someone I cared a lot for, Im sor-"

"I dont need to hear what kind of relationship you two shared, I just need to get out of here and away from you." I cried out, interrupting him before he could apologize. I really didnt want to hear the relationship these two had shared.

"Im sorry, Adelaide, you just look so much like her, its as if you two were the same-"

I stopped him by putting up my hands and yelled, "Stop! Just stop, John! I dont even know the person you're talking about and truth is, I dont need to. Im sorry, this is just too wierd."

I felt like my throat was closing, a lump had already formed and I felt the burning sensation in my eyes. I knew that if I didnt get out of there, I'd officially bawl my eyes out in front of him. And that was the last thing I needed. So I turned quickly and ran out of the resturant.

It was raining outside when I found the phone booth out in front of the resturant. I started dialing the number for the cab finding it impossible the first two times because my hands were shaking so bad. The third try, however, was more successful and I sighed in relief when the call went through. I waited in front of the resturant, near the opening doors since it offered me protection against the heavy onslaught of the rain. As I was waiting, a woman came out and looked at me. Her eyes opened up in shock and she rushed over to me.

"Oh my god, you must be Addy, Jenny's sister." she said in almost a breathless voice. "She knew you'd come, she just knew. She always talked about you, said how when you were younger, you looked like a younger version of her. She wasnt lying!" She was thoughtful for a moment and then said in a very somber voice, "Im sorry about your sister, her death was a shock to all of us in this town, especially since it left John a widower. It was barely a year old marriage, you know."

Sister? I tried to say something, my mouth opened but no words would come. I felt as if everything were spinning. I felt her confused and concerned gaze on me as I turned around blindly and started walking away. When I heard a car horn beep I walked towards the yellow blob that I figured was the cab. I felt like a zombie while getting in and as the cab was driving away from the resturant, I let my tears of confusion, frustration, and years of bottled up tension, flow freely.

The cab dropped my off at my house and I blindly rushed upstairs and looked in the mirror. I dont want to be me, I thought. I was desperate. I didnt want to look like her, I didnt even want to be reminded of her let alone remind her last husband of her. I almost threw up at that thought. John had tried to use me to bring back his dead wife-my sister?...I didnt know if my mother had lied to the woman, but I didnt care at this point. I just didnt want to be connected to her in any way.

And so I did something drastic. I took a pair of scissors and starting hacking away at my hair. I pulled out hair dye from the closet and poured it into my hair. In the end, I felt like a whole new person. I didnt see her face looking back at me in the mirror. Instead I saw something far more pathetic, a four year old version of me looking scared and helpless. I sighed and shed my "date" clothes. Getting into something much more comfortable, I grabbed something to eat. I was exhausted and my biggest worry was if I'd have to confront John again...

It was the first night since I was living with her that I cried myself to sleep.

Chapter 4: The Unexpected

Thanks you:alliemarie2323,sweetbabyhnd2007,sugaplum, and HannahSpring
for your comments.

HannahSpring, I cant wait to read what you've done with the mole man =P
Scholar
#12 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 8:10 PM
What a cute story! I love the name of her dog, peach has always been my favourite nintendo girl!

I think she actually looks prettier with her new shorter hair, I wonder what's going to happen with Mr. Mole now. He's definately got some explaning to do, that is if he doesn't get smacked first!

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 8:52 AM
Chapter 4: The Unexpected
A month after the storm, everything began to seem calm. John no longer approached me at a close distance, but I did see him lurking from time to time a few blocks away. I didnt care, I preferred him staying away, I still couldnt stand the thought of almost ending up with the same guy as my mother! The thought still gave me nightmares. It seemed, however, that with my new look, no one could say I looked like her anymore. It had also gotten a lot more easier at night to fall asleep without wondering who the next person to approach me, claiming I was her, was going to be.

For weeks, I tried to find that woman who had stopped me at the resturant and called me Jennifer's sister, but it was a vain search. She never came around again to that resturant. As days passed me by, loneliness began to set in until one day, out of pure desperation, I emailed Eric and let him know where I had moved to. I didnt know what I was expecting, but I felt a little homesick. He had once been my fiance until I broke it off and without telling him, moved to this neighborhood. Looking back on my decision to break it off with him now, I realized how much of a phobia I had towards commitment.

My days passed with me running my business as usual, taking Princess Peach for daily walks, and enjoying the chores that the fall season brought with it on its way in. One morning, before getting to my leaf-raking chores, I checked the mailbox for mail. Peering inside my letterbox, I found a letter addressed to me with no return address.

I opened it and read:

A.

I miss you.

Love,
E.

I felt my cheeks burn as I blushed furiously. He always did know how to get me riled up with just the most simplest words, I thought. I tucked the letter away safely and got on with my life, though, because if there was one thing I knew about Eric, it was that he was unpredictable. And true to form, he had not let me in on if he'd be visiting or not. He preferred the element of surprise even when I didnt.

Another month passed and it began to get chillier outside. I was restocking my shelves with new baby products one afternoon, when I heard the doorbell ring. I looked outside and froze in shock and excitement. There, standing in the window of the front store door, was Eric looking much more handsome than ever! Either that or I had been single for way too long, I thought.

He had started to turn away from the front door and was in the process of inspecting the area around him when I grabbed my jacket and burst through the front door, wrapping my arms around him in a hug.

"I cant believe you're here!" I said breathlessly while squeezing my arms around him tightly.

He let out a laugh and pulled away after returning my embrace. Leaning back while grinning he raised an eyebrow. "I cant believe Ms. Post left the city for a small town like this." When I chuckled he said, "you know, I didnt even need to ask for directions to find your house!"

I laughed, "Im impressed, usually you get lost when left to your own devices." I teased him.

"Hey hey, Im not that bad." He grinned from ear to ear. Walking over to the huge teddy bear statue I had in front of the store, he said, "I cant believe you're really living here." He shook his head. "I never pegged you for a small town type of girl."

I shrugged, "it was an option and I took it."

His smile disappeared and he looked sad for a second, "was it because of me? Was it the engagement?"

I sighed and put my hand on his shoulder, "Eric, Im sorry for leaving you, it was my biggest mistake and these months have proved that to me." I gave him a weak smile.

He put his arms around me and hugged me close, cradling my head in his hand as he shushed me. Pulling away gently, he looked into my eyes.

"You still look so beautiful, Adelaide. I've missed you..." he began leaning forward at the same time I did. When our lips met, my heart began thumping fast and all I could do was melt into him.

When we pulled apart, my knees went weak and I had to hold onto him for support. Looking up at his face, I saw that he was grinning and groaned in my head. I didnt want him to know he had this much power over me.

"I'll pick you up at eight," he said abruptly, looking at the watch. "I'm going to go and finish up some business I have, but be ready for me by eight." And with that said, he kissed me again and walked away.

Chapter 5: Dream Date

Thank you for your comment, slytherin-girl =D
#14 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 5:25 PM
I really like this story! I hope she and Eric are as perfect for each other as they seem! Keep up the good work, can't wait to read more.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 6:45 PM
Aww as cynical as I may be I'm a sucker for a bit of happy romance! And I can't believe John was married to Adelaide's mum! And that she told everyone they were sisters!! Weird! Looking forward to more!
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 3:08 AM
Chapter 5: Dream Date
That night he called around eight and told me he couldn’t make it due to plans he had previously made before. I was hurt naturally, until he told me that he’d take me out tomorrow evening. After I hung up, I went straight to bed, hoping the next few hours would pass by quickly.

~

The next day, I spent the entire morning getting ready for our date. I haven’t been this happy for a while, I thought. It was nice to see my face glowing with something other than anger. Around five, he came for me in his car and told me he was taking me to a restaurant he’d heard of downtown. We were pulling up in front of it when I noticed that the building had neon lights in the shape of flamingos on it. I almost groaned aloud in disgust. If this was his idea of a romantic date, I was not impressed. I guess I didn’t hide my disdain for the place well enough because as we got out, he came over and held my hands.

“It’s not as bad as you think it’s going to be,” he said with a smile so adorable that I almost forgot that I was disgusted with the restaurant. Walking away from me, he walked around the corner of the building and disappeared.

With a raised eyebrow I followed him and found a flight of stairs in front of me. We walked up together until we reached the top floor.

I was in shock when I discovered that there was a romantic little restaurant tucked away upstairs. Eric looked back at me and smiled as if saying “see, I told it wasn’t so bad.” A woman quickly appeared in front of us and shook his hand while grabbing the menus for us. She seated us in a corner booth and took down our orders for drinks.

When she walked away, I looked at him with amazed eyes and said, “I never knew this restaurant even existed.”

He grinned. “Its all about the connections, baby” he winked at me. “A friend of mine who worked with me back in the city, opened this place up. He even offered me the job of being the head chef here. It seemed like the perfect job and I was in the process of giving him my answer, when I found out you were here.”

I stared at him, “so you’re moving here?” My voice was shaking a little.

He nodded, “I wanted to be closer to you, Addy…”

I felt the sting of tears in my eyes and quickly wiped one away before it could make its way down my cheek. “I cant believe you still want me after the way I hurt you,” I choked out.

He put his hand on the table and I quickly covered it with mine. He comforted me with just a simple smile and was about to say something when the waiter came by and took down our orders.

After a couple of ours of eating, talking and snuggling with one another, Eric paid the bill and we were getting ready to leave. Just as I had stood up and started walking towards the stairs, he surprised me by grabbing me and giving me a very public kiss which was applauded at by the customers in the restaurant. I was still blushing furiously when we were sitting in his car together. The date ended perfectly with a kiss in front of my door.

~

The next few weeks flew by quickly while we went out together almost every night. One night in particular he offered to cook dinner at my place. That night ended very well….

After that night, he came over to my place more often. Some nights we would just make out and do small intimate things together. Other nights, we’d lay in bed and watch the television until we fell asleep.

And the nights that he couldn’t make it over, we’d chat on the computer till the early dawn until sleep depravation made us sign off.

Although it seemed like the perfect relationship, I noticed that he never stayed a full night through. Around two or three in the morning, I’d find him leaving the bed to slip on his clothes and leaving me with just a kiss as an explanation.

I never asked him where he was going though, I didn’t want to seem like the clingy girlfriend, even though the questions remained with me for nights after.

A few weeks later...

One morning as I was putting a vase of flowers from Eric had ordered for me on my table, I found that I had to pinch my nose shut because of the strong smell that wafted up my nose from the roses. What the hell? I looked at the flowers and raised my brow. Were these just a bad batch or was I no longer attracted to the smell of roses? After a while of trying to figure if it was me or the roses, I just chalked them up to being a bad batch and went downstairs.

While downstairs and in the middle of restocking my store, my stomach lurched and I felt nauseated. I was holding onto my stomach in pain, when I suddenly felt bile rising in my throat and covered my mouth. What the hell is going on? I thought. Was I sick? I recounted everything I had eaten within the last twenty four hours in my head and still couldn’t find the answer to why I felt like throwing up. I was staring at the floor when it hit me and my head snapped back up. I tried to remember the last time I had my period during the month and when I couldn’t, I realized…

Oh my god, I’m pregnant….

Chapter 6: Changes

Thank you both, FunnyBone and El_Flel for your comments. =D
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 3:52 PM
good chapter.looking forward to reading more
#18 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 4:52 PM
I think that Eric will leave her. And then John will be back. That's what I think.

I had a great time reading this!
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 6:31 AM
Chapter 6: Changes
A month later:

After the rainy season passed, in came the chill of winter. I still hadn’t shared the news of my pregnancy with Eric even though a whole month had passed. I was going to…eventually, I figured. It didn’t feel like the right time to tell him yet though. Especially since he had gotten much more busier at the new restaurant with its opening success and only visited me once or twice a week now. I didn’t mind though, I was proud of him for being a chef in one of the most exclusive clubs of the downtown area. My business had been going great as well – that is, until the snow started following.

One particular morning, after looking outside at the beautiful white blanket left by the snow, I was restocking my store shelves, when a woman walked in. She was bundled up in her winter clothes, which didn’t hide her beautiful thin figure at all. I was instantly jealous. She was a beautiful thing. Raven colored hair, dark blue eyes, with a face to die for.

She saw me standing there and came over. I was about to say that I was closed for the evening, when she gave a laugh and said, “Im sorry, I saw the sign that you were closed, but I just had to come in here. It looked so adorable from outside. I’m Lexi,” she smiled.

I asked her if she was new in town since I never saw her around the area before. She told me that she moved into the area about a month ago with her husband and kid.

“I’m currently expecting another,” she patted her non-existent stomach and grinned proudly. “My other, Adele, is now a whole two years old. I figured instead of handing down her crib to the new baby, I should be getting ready to buy a new one and that’s when I saw your adorable shop.” She exclaimed with a giggle.

I nodded while listening to her chatter away about being a mom again, thinking about being one myself in a few months. She told me about the trials and tribulations she went through with her first child, telling me how hard it had been to give up her modeling job in the city to take care of the baby. I was amazed at how caring she seemed as a mother, back in the city, the few models that I had met had been quite shallow. All of them, it seemed, had practically vowed never to lose their figure to childbirth.

She chatted away some more and when it came time to leave, she insisted that I go over to her house for coffee tomorrow. Taking nothing but “yes” for an answer, she gave me a warm hug and left. While watching her leave, I had to smile. It seemed like I finally had a real friend in this town.

~

The next morning, after feeding Princess Peach, I went over to Lexi’s house. It wasn’t hard to find since I knew my way around town pretty well now. She came outside and hugged me, welcoming me into her house.

Taking me straight to the kitchen, she made me coffee and we both sat at her kitchen table and talked. When I asked her from which city she had moved from, to come here, she surprised me.

“I used to live in Sim City,” she nodded. “This place however, seems like a good choice made by husband. I mean, I feel safe raising Adele here.”

I nodded silently in agreement and finished my coffee. Looking around while she told me more about the house, I realized her kitchen was very beautiful. In fact, her whole house was amazing. I thought about my own small cramped place above the shop and winced at the thought of having to raise a new baby there. Lexi startled me out of thought when she took my coffee cup out of my hand and said we should move into the living room, since it was a cozier place for talking.

While on the couch, I turned to her and asked what she did for a living. Lexi just beamed me a smile and said, “I am officially for now, a full time mommy. I figured it would be better for me to focus on Adele while my husband was away at work.”

I nodded with an “oh” and asked curiously, “What does he do?”

“He actually came here to be a chef at a restaurant downtown. A friend of his had opened it up and offered him the delightful position as head chef. When he told me about it, I figured we should all just move here. He wasn’t so keen on that idea though,” she said chuckling. “He thought I wouldn’t like it in such a small town.”

My heart stopped while I tried to ask without stammering, “He’s a chef?”

“Yes,” she nodded and motioned her hand to the table beside me holding a picture frame. “That’s him and Adele the first day we moved in here.” I whipped my head around saw the picture frame. I got up and stood in front of it in shock, trying to make sure what I was seeing was in fact real. There in the frame was a photograph of Eric holding a little baby girl who I assumed was Adele, since she looked so much like him.

Lexi got up from the couch and stood behind me asking me if I was alright. I crossed my arms while looking at the photo blindly and asked her if I could see her daughter, Adele.

“Sure,” she agreed and led me to little Adele’s nursery. Looking down at the child laying asleep in the crib, I crossed my arms around my chest protectively and asked Lexi when she and her husband had met.

“That my friend is a long story,” she said with a sigh.

“It was about three years ago, when I stumbled into his restaurant back in the city. We hit it off from the start, but it was a flimsy relationship. We only hung out when the other one wanted to have a “good time”. Him and I were both seeing someone else on the side, so it was a relationship without expectations. Then my boyfriend, finding out I was pregnant, left. I told Eric, that’s my husband’s name by the way, that I was pregnant with his child, but he told me that he couldn’t be with me because he was in love with someone else. And so I raised Adele by myself for the first two years, when low and behold, Eric came back to me one magical day and told me he wanted to be there for his child. I guess his girl had left him.” She shook her head and leaned over Adele’s crib and brushed a few loose strands of hair from Adele's forehead.

“It was strange though, he never ever revealed her name to me.” She said in a distant voice while deep in thought as she stared down at Adele. “Not once…” her voice trailed off.

I could feel everything building up inside of me. All the rage, hurt, all the disgust. When it felt like I couldn’t hold it in anymore, when I couldn’t pretend I was okay, I ran.

As I burst out her front door, I felt my lungs burn with the urge to scream. I heard the concern in her voice as she called out to me, but even that didn’t stop me. The one person I thought I could trust betrayed me and was the worst feeling in the world. Why Lexi, I thought, why did it have to be with someone who was so damn beautiful and everything I was not?

Chapter 7: Revelations

Thank you for your comments, sweetbabyhnd2007 and HannahSpring.=D
#20 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 8:20 AM
WoW! What a twist in the story haha.

Great story! It's been very interesting, looking forward to reading more!! :D

#21 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 4:34 PM
This is getting really interesting! I think the story is getting much better! Keep it up! But also try to work on the pictures a little, maybe you could use more zooming. That just what I think. I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
Test Subject
#22 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 5:36 PM
I just discovered this story and I'm loving it so far! My one critique is that the pictures could be bigger. But I love the plot, and there's so much of it! There are so many story lines in each chapter; it's great.
Test Subject
#23 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 6:37 PM
I can't wait to see how that plays out...
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 12:53 AM
Chapter 7: Revelations
For days, I cried. It seemed like I couldn’t do anything else other than cry. The phone rang almost every day for hours on end, but I never picked up. I knew it was Eric. I knew he was probably calling to explain his end of the situation. I didn’t care though. I had become numb during the past days while a child in my belly grew.

One cold afternoon, while moping around in bed, I heard Princess Peach whining. She used to love the snow and I guess had seen the thick white blanket of the stuff on our front lawn. I gave a long sigh and looked down at her. It was almost as if she were pleading me with her eyes to take her out so she could play. I had spent a week indoors crying, she didn’t deserve to be punished I thought while grabbing my coat and taking her out. Just as I had walked a few feet out into the snow, Eric appeared with a grim look on his face.

I put my hands up and warded him off with an angry look. I didn’t want to hear what he had to say. I didn’t care at this point.

“Addy….” His voice trailed off as he saw the anger on my face.
“Save it,” I spat. “I want you to leave. Now!”
“Please, Addy, give me a chance to explain,” he said quietly in desperation.
“What can you possibly say, Eric? What words can make this situation better, please tell me.” I stared at him with empty eyes. “As far as I’m concerned, we’re over.”

I heard the coldness in my voice and tried not flinch from it as his face crumbled.

“Addy, I cant lose you… I can explain about Lexi….”

“You know what, Eric? Go ahead, please explain how while we were together back in the city, you were screwing her for “pleasure”. Please explain to me how you had the nerve to get her pregnant, only to turn her down when she told you about the baby she was having, YOUR baby – only to then come home and propose marriage to me.” I started crying. “How could you, Eric?”

He came over to me and put his arms around me in comfort.

“Please don’t cry, Addy, please let me explain. I wasn’t ready for a serious relationship with you when I met Lexi. We had our casual fling and I thought nothing of it until she told me she was pregnant…It was then when I realized that I didn’t want her to be the mother of my children, it was you I wanted, Addy. I told her I’d help her with the child but that I couldn’t be there for her because I was in love with someone else…Addy, I gave her and our child up for you. And you left! You left me, right after I proposed to you! When I couldn’t find you for weeks, I went back to Lexi, to visit Adele. I thought you weren’t coming back so I told Lexi I’d take care of her and our child. So I married her. It was a shotgun wedding and it was only so I could take care of Adele. But it was only because I hadnt heard from you….Addy, you just disappeared.”

I sobbed as he continued, “I know what I did wasn’t right, but it happened, Addy, I mad a mistake. Please forgive me for my past. We can still make this work. We can!” His voice sounded so desperate.

“How can we?” I whispered. “Lexi’s pregnant again with your second child…” It was on the tip of my tongue to yell at him that I was pregnant too, but I refrained.

He looked at me shocked for a second before quickly recovering.

“I will find a way,” he quickly assured me. “Just don’t say its over, Adelaide. I need you. I will tell Lexi that the marriage cant work anymore, I’ll tell her that I can still take care of Adele’s needs though and when the new baby comes, I can send her money and visit my children every weekend. But I don’t want to be with her,” he shook his head. “I want to be with you, Addy. Cant you see that?” he whispered sadly.

He pulled me into a hug and made me promise that I wouldn’t do anything until we talked more about it. I nodded and returned the hug without saying a word. We both pulled apart and just stood there for a few minutes.

I told him he should go home to Lexi, but not tell her anything yet. I told him I needed time to think and would call him in a few days. He nodded and left without a word.

As I watched him leave, I realized with a sinking feeling what I needed to do. I went back inside my house and dialed the number to Dean, my mother’s lawyer.

A few weeks later….

“Thanks so much for helping me find this place, Dean, and for taking care of the paper work for the other place.” I smiled at him. “Also, thanks again for not mentioning my move to anyone in town. I just want to take it easy for the next few months, you know?” I laughed while patting my stomach.

“Its not a problem, Adelaide. Mr. George will show you your new apartment, I hope you like it here, its one of the best deals I could find in Sim City for you and the baby” he said nodding towards my stomach. “Take care of yourself now and call me if you need anything,” he said smiling as he walked away.

Mr. George was playing with Princess Peach while I stood outside the new building my apartment was in. When I told him I was ready to see my place, he took me around the side of the building and up the stairs. The front door opened up straight into the kitchen and I found myself staring at my new place.

“I like Mr. George,” I said with a smile. “Thank you for giving me a discount on the place,” I hugged him.

“Oh no problem dear, just make sure that you take care of that bundle of joy coming your way,” he winked at me and left.

I walked over to the huge window in the living room section of my apartment and stared at the window as I thought of the child growing inside of me.

“Its just going to be you, me and Princess Peach now, baby” I said to myself as I looked outside while patting the slight bulge in my stomach. “I’m going to take care of us all by myself.”

Chapter 8: Surprises

Thank you, Lauren777, HannahSpring, Lizalizbethy and peachizncream for your comments.

HannahSpring - the reason why I dont like zooming so much is cause once it gets redundant, it gets boring. And also I like the viewer to see the atomosphere too, cause sometimes in a picture it can be raining, and that creates for more "feeling." But I will try to work on my zoom more.

Lizalizbethy - those are as big as the photographs can get, heh. I'm using the largest setting in the game to photograph them with. =P
#25 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 11:55 AM
She Left....
Page 1 of 3