Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2013 at 7:18 PM
Default Some general music questions
1. From your guilty pleasures file: what is the worst song you've ever heard that you still absolutely love?

2. Name a band or artist that you wildly overindulged in years ago that you're now surprised you liked so much.

3. "I haven't heard any new music since 2010; recommend something I can go listen to." I actually have, but I love checking out the variety of recommendations.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd May 2013 at 8:35 PM
1. I feel lame admitting it, but I like some of One Direction's songs. And I love Taylor Swift. I'm not 14 anymore and did feel embarrassed checking out a One Direction CD from the library. But come on, they're catchy!
2. I used to love Christian rock and listen to it all the time. Since I'm no longer Christian, it just brings back bad memories honestly.
3. I Like It Like That (Hot Chelle Rae), Alive (Krewalla), Clarity (Zedd), Between The Raindrops (Lifehouse), Give Me Your Hand (The Ready Set), I Love It (Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX), Only The Horses (Scissor Sisters), Remember When (Chris Wallace)
Ellie Goulding's Lights CD, Florence + The Machine, B.A.P., LM.C., BigBang

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Undead Molten Llama
#3 Old 3rd May 2013 at 11:27 PM
1) Pac-Man Fever Embarrassingly, I listen to it in the car. Turned up really loudly. And my summer car is a convertible. And I seat dance while driving.

2) I used to be a big Duranie (fan of Duran Duran) in the 80s when I was a late teen/early20something...but I still like them. I'm just not a "Duranie" anymore because...Well, no one is, I don't think.

3) Can't help you there. I haven't listened to the radio since about 2000. Slightly before then, actually. I just couldn't take the computer-fixed crap they were playing anymore. I could recommend some old stuff you've probably never heard, though! And by old, I mean from the 1930s/1940s.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th May 2013 at 12:26 AM
1. Tik Tok is still catchy.
2. Hmm, maybe Avril Lavigne.
3. Anything by Fiona Apple.

My derring-do allows me to dance the rigadoon around you. But by the time I'm close to you, I lose my desideratum.
Inventor
#5 Old 4th May 2013 at 12:39 AM
1. "Wake me up before you go go" by Wham. Still makes me happy and want to sing/dance everytime I hear it, even though it is supposedly a bad song.

2. Busted, but well.. I was 13.. I've never listen to the typical girlie pop, so I'm not too ashamed.

3. Cut Copy's "Lights & music" is catchy. I don't listen to a lot of newer tunes though..
Instructor
#6 Old 4th May 2013 at 6:41 AM
1. "Havenu shalem alehem" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANMTH3rzH4 (Because not sure about the political tendency)
2. Maybe gospel, I was impressed by gospel before, but now I just think it is nice.
3. Can not think of anything on a straight arm (as we say in my home country.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th May 2013 at 6:31 PM
I'm still a big Duran Duran fan! I remember arguing with a friend in 6th grade over a page of Teen Beat. She wanted it for Rob Lowe's pic on one side, I wanted it for Simon on the other.

Let's see, can I answer at least the first two of my own query, here. It would be kinda silly to recommend stuff to myself.

1. This isn't easy. A lot of the songs I would put here, I'd say aren't bad. One person listed "Wake me up Before You Go-Go" by Wham. I would say that's not in the least a bad song. It's a well-crafted pop tune, a bit retro for...what was it, 1983-ish? and George Michael sang it as perfect pop. I'll go with "We Belong" by Pat Benatar. Again, not a bad song, and she certainly can sing, but it's more...I wouldn't want my friends to know I have a soft spot for such a sentimental, dramatic song.

2. Liz Phair. I really liked her first two albums back in the early-mid 90's, but when I tried listening to them recently, I found her voice boring and I just didn't think she had much of substance to say.

3. Oh why not. I think I should check out Little Dragon, Lianne La Havas, and Anna Calvi. :lovestruc
Theorist
#8 Old 17th May 2013 at 10:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
1. From your guilty pleasures file: what is the worst song you've ever heard that you still absolutely love?

The Lumberjack by Jackyl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52p9jc-gOo

It's terrible now. It was terrible then. It was probably the worst, weirdest concert I ever let myself get dragged to. More of a sentimental thing than anything else.

2. Name a band or artist that you wildly overindulged in years ago that you're now surprised you liked so much.

Ministry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCZhQX_Fm0
I'm really not sure I can't say why I liked them then, I was young. But I'm not young any longer, and they give me a headache now.

3. "I haven't heard any new music since 2010; recommend something I can go listen to." I actually have, but I love checking out the variety of recommendations.

See re:I'm old, I'm pretty sure I'm at the age that I'm the last person to find out about nearly anything new in music, unless it's brought to my attention by my daughter, youngest sibling, or nieces.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 18th May 2013 at 10:01 PM
1. The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats is one of my favorites, although I don’t really consider it to be one of the worst songs. I chose it because I think it’s a silly song and the video is even sillier. I still love it though. It makes me laugh. A few others I can think of are Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung and Mr. Roboto by Styx.

2. I like a variety of different types of music. I used to listen to a lot of 80s "hair metal" or pop metal bands. Bon Jovi was at the top of my list of favorite “hair metal” bands. I really don’t listen to that type of metal anymore unless I happen to be somewhere that’s playing it. I don’t choose to listen to it on my own. I don't really hate it now. I think I just got tired of it. The only band of that type of metal I still listen to by my own choice occasionally is Tesla. It’s probably because they were never overplayed like some of the other more popular metal bands were. I will always be a fan of the heavier 80s metal bands such as Iron Maiden and old Metallica though.

3. I’m not sure what type of music you listen to othiym28, but if you like folk music, I want to recommend a band called First Aid Kit. I would recommend them to anyone who likes folk music. My sister told me about them, because they are currently one of her favorite bands. She first heard them on Pandora. My sister and I have similar tastes in music so I usually trust her judgment when she recommends something to me. First Aid Kit consists of two sisters from Sweden. I’m not sure where you are from, but I live in the U.S.A. I always love learning of talented musicians from other countries who aren’t well known here. These young ladies are very musically talented. Go to youtube and look up the song “The Lions Roar” when you get time. I love the song because it reminds me of the type of music they play at renaissance festivals. Let me know what you think.
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 19th May 2013 at 4:41 PM
I'm still a big Duran Duran fan! I remember arguing with a friend in 6th grade over a page of Teen Beat. She wanted it for Rob Lowe's pic on one side, I wanted it for Simon on the other.

Meh, you can have Simon. Gimme Roger! Plus, I think time has been much kinder to Roger.

Actually, I seem to have a thing for drummers named Roger Taylor. There's Roger Taylor, the drummer from Duran Duran...and then there's Roger Taylor, the drummer from Queen. I have a much bigger thing for the latter, truth be told...RAWR! That one's a life-long love affair. The man's still beautiful (and goofy) in his 60s, damn him!

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd May 2013 at 7:04 PM
"Mr. Roboto" is a bit of a guilty pleasure kind of song for me, too. It's hard to resist.

And thanks so much for the First Aid Kit recommendation. I like folk music just fine, but I'll listen to just about any genre if there's a good or at least interesting female voice. Or in this case, voices. I'll definitely check out more of their work.
Test Subject
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 9:16 AM
1. My guilty pleasure is probably "Space & Time" by 009 Sound System. It is so bad, and so, 'pop-py', I guess, but I love it for some unknown reason.. :P
2. I can't really say who I used to love, because I've never really diverged from my genre, but, I dunno. I guess, I'll have to put BFMV (Bullet For My Valentine), I loved them during my metal-head phase, but now I just can't understand how the hell I tolerated them.
3. My recommendation, this is soooo difficult, there's so many things I wanna recommend! Can I just go ahead and say the Trance Playlist from Monstercat? But a specific song has to be "Silence" By Tiesto! My god, the singing is incredible!
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2013 at 10:03 AM

First time I ever visited England was in 1998 when I was 20 years old. I went for a month, but all of my friends over there were committed to other things for the first two weeks, so I was on my own to find my way around. Everywhere I went, they were playing "Picture of You" by Boyzone and "Rollercoaster" by B*Witched. I HATED these songs with every fiber of my being, I wished they could take corporeal form just so's I could strangle them.

Flash forward to the end of my trip, I got to see my friends and had a blast in the end. Before I left, I wound up buying the CD singles of both songs, just because they so wholly represented my first adventure overseas. My friend who was a DJ at the time tried to physically restrain me from this purchase, but I had to do it.

Now, my logic and rationale still both HATE those songs just as much as I did when I first heard them, but my heart and memory just love them so much.

Savage Garden.

I was going through some kind of insane hormonal madness when they were on the charts, I was obsessed with the lead singer and wanted his babies. I can't count how many times I listened to the debut album, probably 3 times a day at one point. I bought tickets to see them live and dragged a male friend with me, later on I apologized for making him watch me scream like a freak the whole time.

Now I listen to it and I'm like "I still like some of this, but WTF?". Incidentally, the friend I dragged with me came out as gay a few years after that concert, and then the lead singer of Savage Garden himself came out. I asked my friend if he knew the whole time, and he was like "Yeah, totally knew, but I didn't want to burst your horny bubble", haha.

I feel like I have no musical credit after sharing the above, but the following tunes have been on my playlist constantly for the past few months and they bring me joy:

Trunk Fulla Amps - Self (high energy tune, heavy sampling, wicked beats)

Tickle It - Mocean Worker (instrumental, heavy sampling, jazz/hip-hop feel)

Faces In The Dark - Generationals (moody, kinda emo, uplifting AND melancholy)

Love Like The Movies - The Avett Brothers (neo-folk, romantic)

Fixin' To Die - G. Love (delta blues influenced, foot stomper)

You Don't Have To Believe Me - Eric Hutchinson (alt rock, bluesy)

I'm a huge G. Love & Special Sauce fan, seen them live six times and recommend their entire discography as well as G. Love's solo stuff. It's not too emotional, it's not too fluffy. It's just friggin' good times.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Scholar
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2013 at 9:26 PM
1. Starships - Nikki Minaj
2. My Chemical Romance
3. Run by Daughter and All the Little Lights (acoustic version) by Passenger.
#15 Old 4th Jun 2013 at 10:15 PM
1. Worst song I've ever heard...that I still absolutely love? Is this some kind of trick question?!

2. Hannah Montana (slams head repeatedly with a history textbook)

3. 50 Ways To Say Goodbye -- Train

Paradise -- Coldplay

Payphone -- Maroon 5

[Eh, normally I listen to classic rock so...]
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mordecai and Rigby
1. Worst song I've ever heard...that I still absolutely love? Is this some kind of trick question?!

[Eh, normally I listen to classic rock so...]

Kind of. I just think most people somewhere in their experience encounter songs that they know for some reason aren't technically very good songs, but that they still are attached to or just enjoy singing. Or something you might prefer your cool friends not to know you love that much.

Or a song that's unbearably sentimental or schmaltzy. You know this, but dammit, you love it just the same. An example of that in my case would be "The Search is Over" by Survivor. I rationally believe it's a trite, saccharin kinda song. Yet it has power over me.