Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 5:39 PM
Default Building 1/4 walls?
I was wondering how to build what I guess you would call, "1/4 walls" on the second floor.. I know you can do it on the first floor by placing a foundation and then leveling the walls to that height, but I am not sure how to do it on the second floor. If anyone could direct me to any tutorials, that would be great. Also, any recommendations for other building tricks w/ walls would be nice too. Thanks! xx

~Chelsea
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 5:48 PM
You could do that by placing a foundation with a wall on top and leveling to that height... try poking around this section for some tutorials.

thought cancer: a disease of the mind, contracted through culture
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 5:53 PM
ahh ok thanks for your answer and then helpful links!
Eminence Grise
#4 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 7:30 PM
Moved to Building forum
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 8:45 AM
Since Friezes are about the same size, you can use place friezes, and level the walls to that height using the same method.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 11:57 PM
Friezes? What is that?
Forum Resident
#7 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChelseaJones
Friezes? What is that?

Its placing the foundation on the top of your walls with the cheat console 'placeFriezes [on/off]'. I think walls give you more freedom because the friezes/foundation is only really usefull if its for a decorative touch, the walls let you have raised/sunken areas within a lot easier but that could just be me

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missy harries
Its placing the foundation on the top of your walls with the cheat console 'placeFriezes [on/off]'. I think walls give you more freedom because the friezes/foundation is only really usefull if its for a decorative touch, the walls let you have raised/sunken areas within a lot easier but that could just be me

That might solve a problem I'm having - I want to renovate an EA-issue house with a section between the top of the walls and the roof. It looks like a foundation, so maybe it's a frieze.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 10:09 AM
Friezes are 6 clicks high, and foundations are 4. Both take up a level though, which is worth bearing in mind. I sometimes use a stage (1-click) or a CASTable fence on a flat roof to give the impression of a substantial roof, as these don't use up a level.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Nov 2012 at 4:23 PM
Link to CFE video tutorials on my signature.

ps. friezes suck, as they behave like foundations instead like walls. I avoid them like plague.
Test Subject
#11 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 4:16 AM
isn't the scale 1/3 not 1/4 ?
dodgy builder
#12 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 10:26 AM
It's 1/4, I did notice a tutorial saying 1/3 somewhere. I have been struggling with this so many times I should know. If it was 1/3 all my houses would be wrong.

You can test this on ground level. Make a hilltop, drag a staircase from somewhere on it's top. Drag it down 16 clicks, or 16 stairs, put a wall up there at the bottom. They will be the same height. Then you can put up a staircase again from the top, but this time put down 4 staircases of 4 steps. That also gives you 16 clicks. Then you put up a foundation at the bottom. The foundation will be the same height as your lowest staircase of 4 clicks. Put a frieze on top of your foundation. You will see the frieze is higher than the 4 click staircase.

The frieze is nice to use once you get used to it. It behaves like a bunch of square boxes, and you can't change the floor once you have placed it. Like it has already been mentioned though, it's really best suited for decorative floors, or if you want a 6 click high cfe level you can use them as measurement to get the height right for the cfe walls.