Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 2:53 AM
Default The Sims 3 -- what do you want in the box?
This is, for all intents and purposes, a wish list and discussion of what we'll expect to see in the original (non-expansion pack) version of this game.

The only reason for this game (aside from the evil overlords at EA wanting more ivory backscratchers) *should* be to advance gameplay and take better advantage of technology.

From The Sims 1 to The Sims 2 we got many things that we might take for granted now. Fully animated characters who displayed emotion, the ability to interact with a more well rounded 3d environment, aspirations, and so forth. The next logical jump needs to be made as well from The Sims 2 to this next version . . . The Sims 3.

As far as standard features and expansion packs go here is my short list of things to keep:

-Aging and Genetics
-Weather
-Cars
-Businesses*
-Long Term Goals / Aspirations
-Having a backpack of stuff (in hammerspace or not)
-Non-school/Non-work activities and talent levels (i.e. gardening or whatever)

I'm not going to hold my breath for pets, but I do think that some families aren't complete with them either.

Vacationing just seems like an expansion pack made to be.

Maybe i'm in the minority, but I really loved University, but it's not integral to the main game.

Innovations/New Stuff:
Business will probably stay, because I think this version of the game may allow (and this is complete speculation) some manner of control the game player has over his Sims when they are at work.

The seamless environments appear to be another big thing (one big town, not different sections divided by load screen), I'm cool with that, even if it is going to make playing this game hard for some people (like me) who do not have cutting edge PCs.

What do you guys think? What am I missing out?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 5:15 AM
I actually think you are going to be right with most of these ideas. Vacationing is definitely too much of a focus for the base game and therefore will possibly be in an EP. Basic domestic animals should finally be in the base game, such as cats, dogs, fish, birds, hamsters and hopefully some reptiles. That way instead of another PETS EP, it could just be a Zoo EP instead. OFB can definitely be minimal in the base game but could add on more in depth as a remake. And I love University Ep as well, but it needs not to be a remake because scholls and colleges should be more elaborate in the base game and make it so that not just young adults can go to college.

Here is my miscellaneous list for the base game of TS3:

Turn-ons/offs
The complete relationship system in all previous EP's
Real gender preference (TS2 sucks with this)
Mannerisms (feminine, masculine, in-between, etc.)
Manners/Habits
Social awareness (though, I think it is a given that it will be included)
Huge variety of aspirations/goals
Hobbies
Reduced decay motives bars (I think it may happen, though)
More life stages (pre-teen, middle-age, etc.)
#3 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 1:07 PM
They should definately put pre-teen and middle-age
#4 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 7:28 PM
I wish aging was more contiguous, as in age isn't a body mesh. So that as time passes you could see the difference between the age each day.

And we should definitely have salt-n-pepper hair.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:03 PM
This is what I want:

I would love to be able to walk my little simmies to school.
Gradual aging. Elyasis is right, age isn't a body mesh.
I would love to see what my sims do @ school.
I would love to see what adult/teen sims do at work.
Teen Sim pregnancy, I know it's not going to happen, but a hack may be implimented.
Napping on beds. You know you don't have to change into your jammies, just a nap on your bed.
Sleeping on couches/sofas. Not only naps OK?
Pull out sofas that are animated. (Yeah I know.)
Washers and Dryers... OOH OOH Laundr-o-Mats!
Radio Stations, like Talk Radio, of course there would have to be different Simlish conversations? Possibly?
On the radio stations the songs should be introduced, but it won't be on the MP3 track, it'd be a random track saying something like, "Oober nep let o mad, ibb sam shalo im tab, my fave" ("That was a great song, coming up next *insert random simlish song*, my favorite")
Radio Contests? That's a longshot though.
Sims go to concerts (possibly an EP or a "mini-pack")
More take-out please.
Hairs should fade away towards in the middle age stage; but sims can buy "SimOl" hair color. XD

Would love university again, because it's growing on me. Although it should be the Second to Last EP, next time. I say second to last, because I want the last EP to go off with a BANG.
Instead of nightlife, what about something like Carnivalish stuff?
Businesses Again? Would be Lovely. But again, I would love to see my sims go to work in the base game.
Domestic animals in the base Game? YES. More animals in another EP, yes.
Wait through 4 EPs for Seasons. NO. Base Game? Yes.
Vacations, my sims can do without for a while.
Hobbies, I love FreeTime, but I could wait 7 EPs, although this EP adds alot more.

Maybe as well for an EP, Aquariums/Zoos as to some of what Frankie had said

I think I have more, but that's it for now.

#6 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:17 PM
It's not stupid. Different but not stupid.

More new stuff for EPs. Not remakes!
All the old stuff should be in the base game. If possible.

No stuff packs, put the stuff in with the EPs. Less money grabbing and more good times. ;P
Alchemist
#7 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:20 PM
i think that if they make elders, they should make it though the males could still reproduce with an adult female, much more like real life
#8 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:26 PM
I would love to see more sim body shapes, sizes and ages in base game. Sims with a bit more intelligence and social awareness or lack there of, ie. I would love to be able to have a slobby and lazy sim not grumble about the state of the house, and I would like to have rude sims intentionally so. Weather and walking to other lots should also be in base game, waiting for an EP to do such things is stupid. Vacations and pets, I can live without, I also love Uni but think that can wait for an EP, but I wouldn't want to have to wait too long. lol. Hmm. that's all I can think of right now.
Alchemist
#9 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PenChris
I would love to see more sim body shapes, sizes and ages in base game. Sims with a bit more intelligence and social awareness or lack there of, ie. I would love to be able to have a slobby and lazy sim not grumble about the state of the house, and I would like to have rude sims intentionally so. Weather and walking to other lots should also be in base game, waiting for an EP to do such things is stupid. Vacations and pets, I can live without, I also love Uni but think that can wait for an EP, but I wouldn't want to have to wait too long. lol. Hmm. that's all I can think of right now.

yeah, same here. i really dont get all this bodybuilder and fashion model meshy stuff
#10 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:30 PM
I never got why slobby sims cared about it. Then again, maybe they were hoping someone else would do it if they grumbled long enough.

I think they had try for baby with adult female and elder male relationships in TS2. I don't see why they would change that in this version.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:32 PM
Here are a few things that I like to see in Sims 3, which focus mainly on the Sims themselves since a better Sims makes a better Sims games.

Accessories, like bags, an umbrella which works during snow or rain.
A more advance clothing system. Multilayer and combinable components. I want to choose different shoes to go with the dress, or a t-shirt under a trench coat.
Proper jewellery, like rings, necklace etc.
More varied body shapes, heights etc.
Expanded talent system. I think the talent badges has lots of potential.
More varied behaviours depending on the personality. A playful Sims would laugh different to a joke than a serious Sims.

Lastly,

A slappable Miss Crumplebottom.
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:42 PM
Thanks for all of the great relies guys! And yes, a slappable miss crumplebottom would be great!

I think it's something inherent to the discussion of what we WANT in the main game to also follow that up with which EPs you foresee in the future.

And yes, The carnival idea is a great idea, you can just plop it down on the outskirts of the city, and visit there, as a source of a way it can be integrated within the original game city.

A point on the vacation add on, just add on an airport or a sea port or whatever to the city, and then go there in game to be taken somewhere else.

I think universities will be in at some stage, be them a city college or a real ivy league one that's integrated into the city. (maybe a downtown campus? who knows?) I don't think it will make it in the original game, but logically it should be there. (logical in the same way that pets should be there, along with cars, and the able to go on dates and stuff --- but logical and financially sound don't go hand in hand all the time)

Aging (as a continuum) is a really cool idea. (but may take more processing power than the average Sims fan can produce in their computers) Depending on how this aging will work will determine if there are more 'age stages'. But yes, teen pregnancy and salt and pepper hair should be in.

How about more things that the community has made -- like bunk beds?
#13 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:49 PM
what i'd like to see in the sims 3 base game...

Aging and genetics updated - you're right, aging shouldn't be a body mesh, I don't think we need day to day aging as that would be quite complex but it definitely needs tweaking so that it's more gradual.

NO STUPID, USELESS HAIR STYLES, FACE MASKS OR CLOTHING PLEASE (or the ability to delete unwanted ones)

the ability to create sims of different heights

curved walls and windows

seasons, weather and all things associated with it (gardening, fishing etc..)

cars, business and university - but please cut the amount of time it takes to get though uni in half (it gets soooo boring)

pets - cats, dogs, birds, fish, hamsters etc.. BUT I definitely want to see horses and other animals added in an EP - That's my number one want for Sims3

my number two want is cut the amount of time it takes to do simple day-to-day things (like not taking an hour to go to the toilet)

being able to place doors/windows next to or opposite each other in the same grid square

hmm... i'm sure there's more but I can't think of any at the moment
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:56 PM
you mean it doesn't take you an hour to take a shower? j/k

I think a zoos / ranch expansion pack seems logical, I would rather they use the R&D time to tighten up the game, make it run smoothly and fast on as many different PCs as possible, with few memory RAM bugs and improve the more important (daily) parts of the game (i.e. relationships, personality, traits, etc).

Once they have that down, then adding stuff should be a snap.
Alchemist
#15 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elyasis
I never got why slobby sims cared about it. Then again, maybe they were hoping someone else would do it if they grumbled long enough.

I think they had try for baby with adult female and elder male relationships in TS2. I don't see why they would change that in this version.

nah they dont, i remember when i made an adult female and an elder male and tried to make them have babies but the option wasnt there, it didnt work on the tombstone either
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 10:21 PM
Here is my list from an older thread at the infamous BBS…

*CAS/Body Shop:

-Real hair that moves realistically and hairstyles that are within the hair, not separate hair, and it grows and you have to cut it if you don't want it to keep growing and you can brush the hair and create many styles. Also selectable types of hair such as straight, wavy and curly.
-Mannerisms: Sims of any gender can be very butch, slightly masculine, in-between, slightly feminine or very feminine.
-Sliders for body proportions, a color grid for hair/eyes/skin tones/clothes. And please make it to where you can change any part of the body, including the butt, breasts, elbows, fingers, knees, legs, calfs, etc., for uniqueness.
-Jewelry and piercing like from BV but more elaborate and more options AND facial piercing for teens because BV disappointed me when it was not available for teens.
-Finger and toe nails colorable and finger nails can have different lengths (i.e., ghetto-fabulous nails, lol).
-Not every Sim male should grow a beard, some can be born smooth, and some Sims should have body hair that can be shaved.
-You can choose your Sim's gender preference like you can with their aspiration and turn ons/offs so that your Sim will NEVER be able to be romantically/intimately involved with a Sim of their non-preferred gender. Please make this a must because I wanted a gay Sim male once in TS2 and his nanny flirted with him for whatever reason and they fell in love! I was not very happy at all, lol.

*Game Play:

-Visit other Sims' households but of course you may require permission to use objects unless you're a rude Sim.
-An apartments feature that I have been asking a zillion times for! Choose ownership of all personal objects like beds, desks, toys, etc. and the ability to claim rooms like bedrooms and bathrooms.
-Punishment for teens and younger because it really irritates me that teens can poke and shove their parents and get away with it.
-Different voices per Sim but can match with mannerisms (i.e., butch Sims will sound much deeper and feminine Sims will sound much higher).
-Gradual aging as mentioned above because I, too, agree that age should not be a body mesh and that you can actually be a number age like 12, 15, 18, 25, 30, etc. Maybe also get to watch your kids go to school for the very fist time and it being a memory.
-No more freaking out if a Sim happens to catch their lover in the nude from showering... come on, that is just pathetic and you all know it is. Lovers are comfortable around each other and if they can use the toilet in front of each other than surely they can do more. Who cares if it is for comical purposes, I prefer realism over comical any day and comical tends to get annoying after much repetition.
-Lots more interactions with lots more varying results from different personalities, etc.
-A hospital or at least more illnesses. Sims should really get to be born different. Maybe have some that are born mentally challenged, some born depressed, with A.D.D., etc.
-Vision options, some Sims may have to wear glasses in order to see correctly but they get the option of contacts or LASIK surgery, maybe have them act clumsy when with poor vision and no glasses or contacts (i.e., Velma from Scooby Doo). Do poorly in school or at work, etc.
-Sims can be intelligent, stupid, average, etc. They should seriously have brains now. Maybe an IQ level and thus learning will have some affect.
-Sims can now identify if a Sim is a nerd or a jock or a preppy person or a goth or ghetto, etc. and either like it or dislike it, tolerate, accept it, reject it, etc. I just find it unrealistic that Sims accept everyone, though, I wish the world was that way in real life, lol.
-The option to turn certain areas of the neighborhood in slums and others into upscale areas and certain Sims won't be as likely to visit certain areas, but all in the same neighborhood of cuorse.
-Crime, but of course nothing graphic, more than just a robbery, though.
-Change their full names, be it for a fee or not.
-Have crushes and fall in love with a Sim but it not necessarily being mutual and you will not slap that Sim for being with another Sim if you are not in an actual relationship. Which also brings me to wanting actual committed relationships that are separate from a crush or being in love. The option to break up at anytime would be wonderful, be it mutual or not. Being in a relationship is not a contract!
-Real divorce! If a Sim divorces its spouse, the spouse should not have to be forced to leave the lot. There can be arrangements of some type and of course there should be a fee like in real life.
-Sims can live double lives, being married and having kids while doing the same with another family and the price to pay at the end will be very high.
-When a cheating Sim woohoos with another Sim in the same lot that their beloved Sim is on, that beloved Sim should not necessarily find out unless it's in the room nextdoor. How the heck are you going to know what is going on inside a room on the third floor when you are outside in the backyard?
-Nerdy Sims or Sims who are dedicated to education should have fun doing homework. Depending on what Sim you are, you should have fun doing certain things that may not be of fun to other Sims. Gardening can be an example.
-The option to have rural, urban, suburban areas, etc.
-Miscarriages just for realism, depending on what the pregnant Sim eats or does, so that pregnancy can finally be a challenge and depending on how the pregnant Sim handles her pregnancy and what she eats and does will determine the uniqueness of the Sim that is born, thus certain illnesses can occur.
-Sims can be ultra picky and form exclusive cliques and become snobs.

Okay, I'm running out of ideas here!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 11:10 PM
um...ditto! lol

if we don't get apartments i'm going to be PSST! we've been asking sense sims 1- it's like cars, it's just a necessary thing to have, i mean some people can't afford ' starter homes' it would be smarter just to include them...also i agree with the punishment thing, my sims as it is are terrible, my kids always jump around on the furniture like they have no rules....all together i think more realistic family interactions period would be better-oh and religions! like you could have the option of making them religious or non religious for each sim, and either include made up religions or actual popular religions-would that affend anyone? they would have to have it in detail but they could have somewhere to go to on the weekend?
#18 Old 7th Mar 2008 at 11:31 PM
*copies Frankie's post*
Exactly.
If the Sims 3 has even forty percent of that stuff I'll think seriously about getting it. Some features count for more though.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 12:17 AM
i want hats to be a seperate bin for hair. Or be able to mix and amtch hats with hair styles.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 12:39 AM
Yes, this time, make hats as accessories and not attached to hair. I hate that damn short ponytail that seems to be default of most female hats. You have a girl in TS2 with long hair and then suddenly her hair turns into a short ponytail all because she wanted the option to wear a baseball cap or winter hat.

As for religions, I'm all for it but I do have a feeling that it may be something that EA would have to seriously think about because of those parents who may complain that EA is influencing their teens to be religious or maybe a parent of so-and-so religion may complain because their teen is suddenly interested in having Sims of another religion. It could cause so much controversy. They would just have to be very careful. Just like with teen pregnancy... I want it so badly in the game but that is another iffy topic to be careful about since parents could complain that the game is encouraging teen woohoo/pregnancy. But I hope they find a way through this because it would be neat to have these things.

UNLESS... they could make a generic "preach" option which could make a Sim act preachy and you can just have very basic interactions that can apply to all religions so as to not show any favor towards one or the other. And then you would just dress them up yourselves to make whatever religion you want. That seems to be the safest way.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 12:41 AM
Yes, if dorms were possible in TS2, then I know apartments will be in TS3.
#22 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 1:58 AM
Gradual aging would be AWESOME. Like having a sim child, and watching them slowly but surely mature to an awkward 13-year-old just getting introduced to puberty and zits, to a 16-year-old trying to get asked out, to a 19-year-old in their second year of college, to a 25-year-old trying to apply for a job...it would be amazing. I don't know if it would be possible, but it would definitely be interesting and the game would be a lot more fun to play.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 2:00 AM
Well I do know that it will be possible to add extra life stages, so I don't see why not just have gradual aging instead.
Test Subject
#24 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 5:11 AM
It'd be nice to see an apartment/renting system where one sim could could charge other sims to live on their property. Expanding on that, why not the ability to own multiple properties?

I'd also like to see weather make it to the base game. It wouldn't feel like a big step forward from TS2 without it.
#25 Old 9th Mar 2008 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2
nah they dont, i remember when i made an adult female and an elder male and tried to make them have babies but the option wasnt there, it didnt work on the tombstone either

That's not true. I've had many elder males sire children, including Mortimer Goth (with Dina) and a number of different townies. Maybe your female was too close to her age transition?
Page 1 of 7