Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 2:13 PM
Default Convert a sim to .obj file?
Is it possible to extract a sim (with the custom head shape) and convert it into an .obj file for use in another 3d modeling program?

I've played around with SimPE guid's, extracting them and putting into Milkshape, but all I get is a messed up head shape. I was thinking that was it, maybe I need to add the sim body .obj and convert. But the head shape is REALLY messed up LOL

Any ideas?
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 2:35 AM
I once looked (very briefly) into make statues from Sims. You will want to find your Sim's .package file, which apparently you have done.

I'm going on memory here and so I may be mistaken in some places. A Sim is actually composed of several pieces. Generally speaking, there is the face area, the scalp/hair area, and the body area which either comes in halves (as in the case of separate tops and bottoms in the Everyday clothing section) or as a whole (for the nude body or for some sort of full body outfit/clothing mesh). I don't know exactly what you mean by the head shape being messed up. If I recall correctly, I found there were two pairs of faces associated with my Sim in its GMDC. One pair was apparently for one age and the other pair was for another age. In each pair, there was a low-resolution version and a high-resolution version. I don't think the hair/scalp and body areas were included.

I imagine you will need to "Frankenstein" (i.e. assemble from parts) the pieces together: the face and a hair/scalp section taken from somewhere together will form a head. For a full body, you will also need a body or clothing mesh.

There is also the matter of texturing if you want to make a statue, but I never went that far.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the Sim's GUIDs, but I am guessing it is not beneficial to your goal. If you want to make a new object using a Sim's form, I would suggest using a decorative object as a base (instead of an existing Sim); then swap its mesh for the Sim's extracted mesh.

Bonus: tiggerypum has some Example Bodies and Faces

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...