Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 5:18 AM
Default How would I convert a mesh from Dragon Age to The Sims 2?
I am interested in converting some objects from Dragon Age:Origins. I do not know how to do this, can someone please help me? I am sorry if this question has already been asked or this is the wrong forum, This is my first time using this forum. If it helps I own the toolset for Dragon Age, and I am using the trial version of MilkShape.
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 7:07 PM
If you can extract the mesh and textures from one game, then all you would probably need to do is simply proceed with the normal TS2 object creation process*. Rather than creating your own mesh, UV mapping, and textures, you would use what you have extracted. If you are new to object creation, I would suggest you follow the Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial first to get familiar with the process. The tutorial will show you how to make a custom table. I know that is not what most people want to do first thing, but we must take baby steps before we can run. It would probably be a much easier project for you if you actually do the tutorial to gain first-hand understanding of the process if you are not already comfortable with it.

*Poly counts and why they are important. Some meshes extracted from other contexts may be ready to be converted; others may need to be altered to have their poly counts lowered.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 7:11 PM
Also note that if you would like to share those conversions, you'll need permission from the publisher of DA:O (Bioware?).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 8:46 PM
Thank you everyone, I was just going to use them for personal use and I will start the object tutorial. I still need to figure out how to extract the meshes though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 9:37 PM
Is there any way to convert MSH files to Milkshape? I found the files but I can't import them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 9:45 PM Last edited by SimmyPrinny : 16th Jan 2012 at 9:55 PM.
It looks like I could import it with 3dmax, but I'm not going to fill out my information for a trial, and I'm not a professional. Is there any other programs that I could do this?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 10:55 PM
This is making me very frustrated. I have the mesh now as an OBJ file, I converted it in Milkshape to a SimPE file and now when I try to open it in SimPE it won't work.
Site Helper
#8 Old 16th Jan 2012 at 11:09 PM
Please don't double-post. Especially, please don't post six times in a row. If you have something else to add, just use the Edit button to modify your latest post. If you just want people to respond more quickly, you should be aware of the site rules against bumping your thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=289713
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyPrinny
This is making me very frustrated. I have the mesh now as an OBJ file, I converted it in Milkshape to a SimPE file and now when I try to open it in SimPE it won't work.

What do you mean you converted it (I'm assuming the OBJ file) to a "SimPE file"?

Tumblr
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 2:09 AM
I have a program I used to convert the Dragon Age Mesh file into a OBJ so I could use it in Milkshape. I used the Unimesh Plugin to export it into a DBPF package so I could use it in SimPE, But when I try to open it it says SimPE does not support this kind of file.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#11 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 2:20 AM
I think you are going about this the wrong way. Go back to the tutorial I linked you to and actually do it.

The tutorial will show you how to clone an existing TS2 object (which will become the base for a new TS2 object), how to import and export meshes in SimPE, how to replace the object's mesh with another mesh, and everything else that needs to be done (at the basic levels at least) to make the new object show up and work in-game.

I know making a dining table is not what you want to do at this moment, but doing the tutorial is the best way to learn this process.

Tumblr
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Jan 2012 at 2:21 AM
Okay, thank you.