Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 9:52 PM Last edited by Delphy : 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:57 PM.
Default Downtime over the weekend
Hi All

Just to let you know that the 2 new public fileservers are currently being installed, but still need to be configured and tested.

There will be downtime over the weekend! Mostly revolving around downloads, but since adding 2 servers also affects the infrastructure, I may need to turn the entire site off completely.

Please bear with us while I perform these changes and upgrades. Also remember this is not a guarantee that downloads will be "fixed"! There is a lot of work to do and it often takes a little while to correctly guage a servers performance and the resulting impact on the rest of the internal network.

Edit 2: There will be times when I will deliberately ask people to hammer the download servers - this will be a good stress test for them. So be prepared.

Regards
Delphy

Edit: Also:

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
51 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:01 PM
Do what you gotta do no matter how long it takes. I think the intelligent people here totally understand what's involved in the task you're undertaking and shouldn't have a complaint in the world in regards to downtime.

It's the ignorant ones you have to just ignore....

"The opposite of war is not peace. It's creation."

Now making sportswear for the Sims 3 Universe

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:06 PM
Who would complain? We get two new fileservers. All we have to do is wait a weekend or so. :D

Plus, the intelligent ones will, no doubt, reprimand the "other" ones.
Test Subject
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:10 PM
Good news indeed, so - good luck with it.

We hide in dreaming when threatened by reality.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:36 PM
Thank you Delphy, and good luck adding the servers.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:37 PM
Will the special fileserver reserved to supporters (special.modthesims.com) be off, too? Or just the normal files.modthesims.com?

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 10:42 PM
Numenor, just the normal public ones will be down. I might have to do work on special too but that would only be very very quick.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2007 at 11:42 PM
oh ill be ready to do some serious downloading! lol watch out delphy!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 12:18 AM
Yay! This is great news. I am willing to sacrifice a couple of days for you to get everything working properly. Thank you so much for all the hard work you've put in and are continuing to do!

Also, this is actually a good time for me. The past week or so has been very hectic, and I haven't had time to get online. So do all the work you need!
Scholar
#10 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 12:30 AM
Change is good! I'm happy to see it. Good luck!
Test Subject
#11 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 12:42 AM
yay - it would improve the downloads and faster
Inventor
#12 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 12:50 AM
Just gives me time to do other things that I need doing :D

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#13 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 12:57 AM
yay i wonder what you're gonna name em. delphy.modthesims2.com to commemorate this event? :D
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
... There will be times when I will deliberately ask people to hammer the download servers - this will be a good stress test for them.

Believe me, I'll be very prepared, lol. :P
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MajorMercedes
Who would complain? We get two new fileservers. All we have to do is wait a weekend or so. :D

Plus, the intelligent ones will, no doubt, reprimand the "other" ones.

Absolutly copy that
Instructor
#16 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 1:47 AM
WOODAMNHOO!! I cannot wait until the Paleo server is up and running. Ha ha.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 2:04 AM
I'm willing to not have spiffy new things for a few days, if it means I will be able to get spiffy new things later a bit easier, lol.
Test Subject
#18 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 3:58 AM
I can not thank you and all the creators for all they do to make our game so lovely. I copied and compressed my download folder and am going CC free until Bon Voyage release and the site work this weekend will only help me not download more CC I am not supposed to be using right now, LOL. Thanks a million!
Test Subject
#19 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 4:16 AM
That's a 10-4 for Stress Testing
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
There will be times when I will deliberately ask people to hammer the download servers - this will be a good stress test for them. So be prepared.

Sure will. When I'm back in business on Monday or Tuesday (and yes I'm being patient over the QX links - please take your time) I'll be fully to stress-test on your command.

Time for my own Sim Potter (especially with all the wonderful Potter-related downloads right here)

I'm looking forward to everything
Test Subject
#20 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 4:19 AM
Intelligent people will understand & be patient? I didn't realize that disagreeing with someone else was a sign of ignorance? While I'm not always in agreement with how people voice their opinions here (for or against) it is still a right & privilege of free people to voice those opinions ~ at least here in the United States. I'm always amazed at how some of those who love the changes here at MTS2 literally attack anyone who doesn't. I've always thought of intelligence as a companion to good manners & understanding of those who are not so educated, once must make allowances and such. There will always be those who's views do not follow the main stream, had thought that was what our fore fathers were trying to guarantee with the government they set up though it does function more as a Republic rather than a true Democracy. Still was a noble attempt I think. But that is just my opinion, berate me as you will for it.
Instructor
#21 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 4:45 AM
auntekay, there's a difference between voicing an opinion, and posting something like

ZOMG WHEN WILL THE SITE BE BACK UP I NEEDNEEDNEED TO DOWNLOAD NOW

(and no, I'm not kidding -- if you'd like, I can get you a link to someone who posted something very much like that, complete with icons of flashing police lights, in another thread)

That sort of behavior demonstrates not only ignorance, but gross immaturity.

(And frankly, I certainly don't think MTS2 is perfect, but I HAVE worked for an ISP before, and when it comes to server issues, I have some idea what is actually going on, so I have no trouble at all being patient when so little time has passed, especially when the site that is being affected is not a business of any kind.)
Test Subject
#22 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 4:51 AM Last edited by kortz2000 : 4th Aug 2007 at 4:57 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by auntekay
Intelligent people will understand & be patient? I didn't realize that disagreeing with someone else was a sign of ignorance?

The phrase was not toward the intelegent people who simply disagree, but rather directed at the ignorant ones who whine and complain when things go wrong then whine more when attempts are made to fix those things...

its not a question of democracy or intelegence but rather a question of morality and understanding-and simple mannors.

In my opinion , you can either download 1 file at a time and pray it finishes sometime in the next 3 days or you can be paitient through the downtime while new servers are added to fix the problem. -- Whiners should have their own server btw ( for those who must have a download server 100% of the time that works at 20% functionality and on a 1/1mb connection just to make them think before whining about downtime due to maintenance)

yes I know its alittle over the top but as a retired server admin I fully understand the problem and what it takes to fix it, and I also know the number complaints this site must get from the "whiners" who just whine about everything - downloads are down? downloads are slow- yada yada this is broken... your fixing what? ya some of the things I used to get in my in box were kinda stupid in my opinion but I can just imagine the ones delphy has printed out and posted on his walls as a "humor" factor ....

Long winded? yes -- exteremly over worked and under paid -- yes.... i might edit after some sleep but i hope yall can understand what I'm saying...

Basic summary ---

If your happy with the slow and often timing out of downloads then great

if you want faster downloads and the ability to download more then 1 at a time again and know that they will finish without breaking then you can wait 48-72 hours while they add new servers :-)

ps..
could you maybe turn on Q links for the stress test? we could hammer the servers for a good hour or 2 that way :-)
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 6:48 AM Last edited by dilandauluv5 : 4th Aug 2007 at 7:14 AM. Reason: I forgot to RTFM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Will the special fileserver reserved to supporters (special.modthesims.com) be off, too? Or just the normal files.modthesims.com?

What?! There's a special fileserver for us supporters? Why didn't I read about this when I became a supporter? (And why don't I have a special little icon above my avatar like all the other supporters?)

Anyways, YAY! The upgrade is finally happening! I am soooo looking forward to downloading at normal speeds again.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 9:36 AM
This is great news thanx
Field Researcher
#25 Old 4th Aug 2007 at 10:01 AM
I've been trying to download an item for the last few days, without success, so I hope this will fix the problems, thanks for the work & good luck.
Locked thread | Locked by: Delphy Reason: Downtime is long over
Page 1 of 7