Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 12:13 AM
Default Adding shoes.. Vertex prob
Hi, I trying to add shoes to a new mesh, everything goes good until i get to the vertex part. Everytime i select two vertex from the front, vertex from the back also gets selected so it messes things up when i try to fix the vertex with eme. Its getting very annoying, Can someone tell me how to fix this? or something.

Thanks
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 7:08 AM
There's more than one view in MilkShape. If you're accidentally selecting vertices on the back of the leg, look at the side view. You should be able to see the selected vertices. All you need to do is deselect the ones you don't want. Shift + right click on the vertices you don't want, or shift + right click and drag around them to deselect them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 4:36 PM
I know, thats how i know that when i select the front vertices, it also selescts the back. How do i deselect the ones i dont want when i dont even know which ones are the back ones lol
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 6:52 PM
In the side view, shift + right click and drag around the area where the back vertices are (the back of the ankle). That will deselect them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 6:58 PM
oh okay. gotcha.. thanks. Once i do that and uses the data merge, the leg looks deformed.. when u look at it from the side it looks like theres a dent.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 9:51 PM
if your using the data merge tools make sure your reference mesh is listed first in the meshgroups tab.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by princessheard1
oh okay. gotcha.. thanks. Once i do that and uses the data merge, the leg looks deformed.. when u look at it from the side it looks like theres a dent.

That can happen if the pieces aren't quite the same size or in the same place. For example, you might need to select each shoe separately and move it horizontally until it lines up with the leg (or you might need to select both shoes and move them forward or back... it all depends on where the dents/bumps are). If there's too much of a difference (say, if the shoes are closer together than the legs or if the shoes are too far forward), then you can get bends that show up as dents or bumps when you merge things together.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Aug 2012 at 11:06 PM
The problem is that im using bobbyth bootylicious body and the calves are too big which r giving me problems wen i try adding new shoes. Is there anyway i can make the calves back to the size of the rio or base game calves?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 7:16 AM
The problem is that im using bobbyth bootylicious body and the calves are too big which r giving me problems wen i try adding new shoes. Is there anyway i can make the calves back to the size of the rio or base game calves?

Yes. You can select the calf vertices on each leg (one leg at a time) and scale them down on the X and Z axes until the size is closer to the base game calves.

If you're adding new shoes, you could always just make your "cut" at the ankle instead of the calf. You're less likely to see a size difference that way.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 2:55 PM
How do i scale them down, whay do i go to in milkshape? and do you have any idea what the size of the base calves and ankles are? I tried cutting off at the ankles but its like extra leg hanging off at the back and front as if the bootylicious ankle is fatter than the base game.
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 3:29 PM
why dont you import a RIO mesh and use the calves from it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 4:14 PM
I wanna add shoes to the bootylicious mesh.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 5:53 PM
The Scale tool is in the Model tab in MilkShape. Its location and use are covered in the first Unimesh tutorial. If you haven't already done the basic tutorials, I would suggest doing them. You'll probably find answers to lots of your questions.

The level 2 tutorial goes into UV mapping (which you'll need to know to have your texture display properly) and the level 3 tutorial is about combining mesh parts (for example, attaching new shoes). The tutorials should really be done in order because they build on each other.

Good luck!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 6:18 PM
is there any way that i can find out what the maxis size scales are?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 9:28 PM
There is no standard scale because there is no standard size (especially not when you're dealing with a custom mesh). You just have to experiment and try to get as close as you can. Then when you align the vertices and normals, the result will be smooth and look natural.

When I scale down, I usually use a factor of 0.99 and do that multiple times until I get close.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 13th Aug 2012 at 10:13 PM
oh okay, also you mentioned the verticles and normals, you mean do the verticles and normals when i go to add the shoes? not when i scale down, right?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 14th Aug 2012 at 7:46 PM
You need to select the vertices on the calves you want to scale down, and then you'll have to select the vertices you want to join together and then align the normals on those. It's in the tutorials. Please read them; they're really helpful.
Instructor
#18 Old 18th Aug 2012 at 11:13 AM
It's very difficult to add shoes to Bobby's Bootylicious mesh. I couldn't even do it. I used the ones Chris Hatch made to make my meshes for the shape.
Easy to add boots, just chop the leg and add the boots as a seperate group.

The one I did add shoes to myself I got Bobby and Chris to do it because I messed it up, the legs are so different from any of the Maxis shapes or Warlokk's shapes which on a lot of meshes I still get the line around where I've cut even after align normals.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 1:08 AM
Yes, its very hard for me.. Ive tried and tried for about a month now and still havent made progress. How do i add as a seperate group?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 2:29 AM
Yes, its very hard for me.. Ive tried and tried for about a month now and still havent made progress. How do i add as a seperate group?

If you're having trouble attaching shoes, you do not want to try to add new groups to your mesh. It's very difficult and you'll just get frustrated. (Believe me. It took me a while to learn how to do it and make it work, and I'd made lots and lots of one-piece meshes before that.)

There are instructions here, but it's very confusing if you're not comfortable with meshing. Have you done the tutorials yet?
Sockpuppet
#21 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 12:07 PM
ill have a look if you provide the 2 meshes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 9:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
ill have a look if you provide the 2 meshes

Thanks fakepeeps, and Bloom, can you just see about adding the cpu legs to the bootylicious bodyshape.. like i asked above "why wont i just use the rio calves" instead i wanna use the cpu's. Ive already asked to modify the bootylicious bodyshape so there wont be any confusion, i emailed the owner of the shape on B.A.S

Heres the files below
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BobbyTH_Bootylicious-AF(non-default)WithMorphs_Nov21A.rar (2.51 MB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Warlokk_XHi-Res_ClassicPinup.rar (8.63 MB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Sockpuppet
#23 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 11:09 PM
i am sorry to dissapoint you...those models are high polygon shapes/meshes and it is a huge ammount of work to attache the cpu legs to it.
Ill see if i can apply the cpu magnets to the legs
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 11:29 PM
Thanks so much for trying.. I figured it would be lots of work. Let me know what comes about with the magnets.
Instructor
#25 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 12:46 AM
It is a lot of work - Chris Hatch over at BAS seems to have found a way to do it and Caleb71. They've helped me out when I got stuck with this shape.
I use the ones Chris converted - much easier and now I can adapt sandals to the shape.

fakepeeps is right though - it's best to go through the tutorials first. I did and got help from Bloom a few years back *waves to Bloom*
I started messing around with Maxis normal then moving up to other shapes.

Gorgeous shape though, definitely one of Bobby's best - I've tried to stop creating for it but can't lol
Page 1 of 2