Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1741
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 23 (Who?), Viewed: 2850 times.
Search this Thread
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 12:03 AM DefaultHow I made the carpool npc clickable and her life after marriage *-NOT SAFE AND MAY LEAD TO CORRUPTION OF YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD OR GAME*. #1
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


I know that fooling around with certain npcs could mess up your game but i'm willing to take that risk anyways here's a neat trick that I found out while playing around with the character files in Simpe. Not too long ago I wanted to marry off a female taxi driver that a mailman is attracted to but I got a message saying that this is the active sim and the sim is unclickable so I just cloned the taxi driver with Christianlov's Sim Cloner and copied the original taxi driver's on to the clone because my sim couldn't interact with her well later on I was playing with 2 character files. One is a sim named Cole Andrews who used to be a mailman npc and the other is the carpool driver, I deleted the Behavior Constants and Functions thinking that was the problem but it wasn't so I played with some more and eventually I came across the Object Data, clicked on it went raw data and checked the codes of my sim file and the taxi driver, they both have the same numbers until I strolled down to Interaction Table ID that is when I noticed something odd the code finally changed. While my character data has the code 0x0081 in it the taxi driver file has 0xffff which I found out while clicking the decimal button translates to -1 so a bright idea dawned on me to just copy the code of my character data and paste it into the taxi driver character file and it worked! Now the taxi driver and my sim are happily married with twins. One's a boy and one's a girl and so far my game haven't exploded. Here are some pictures of Amber Hiatt and her family.
Screenshots
Click image for larger version

Name:  Amber Hiatt's interactable code.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  382.0 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Amber Hiatt's uninteractable code.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  381.6 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Cole Andrews.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  368.1 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Uninteractable Sim.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  373.8 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Sims2EP9 2017-12-18 20-38-54-998.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  485.6 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Sims2EP9 2017-12-18 20-41-03-388.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  339.8 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Amber accepts the ring.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  289.6 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Amber hugging her fiancee.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  312.3 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Cole kissing his bride.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  336.8 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Cole and Amber snuggling.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  305.4 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Michael and Michelle hugging.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  316.2 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  The twins chatting on the bed.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  360.8 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  The Twins dancing to Gorillaz Dare and Feel Good Inc.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  452.8 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Michael and Michelle plays chess.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  441.4 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Michelle cheating in chess.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  462.4 KB   Click image for larger version

Name:  Michelle laughing at her brother.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  462.6 KB  
Last edited by Gamegenius : 28th Dec 2017 at 1:24 AM.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:07 AM #2
DezzyBoo
Scholar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,459
2 Achievements


Congratz!
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:17 AM #3
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by DezzyBoo
Congratz!

Thanks it was a risk worth taking. As you can see in one of the pictures the twins are dancing to Gorillaz Dare and Feel Good Inc on the radio and their dance moves crack me up.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:28 AM #4
frogz2007
Scholar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,397
1 Achievements


Why didn't you just simply clone her with the tried and true Sim Surgery / Bodyshop method? She would retain her looks 100%. The only thing you'd have to do would be having to figure out her personality (look in SImPE, in the plug-in view) and jot those values down and then change the values of your clone to match the original. I've done the Bodyshop method with a few Repo Men and all of the others which can be cloned (Social Bunnies crash Bodyshop) and the plus side to this is they're fully functioning Sims and they can do, well, yeah, everything which any other Sim can do. Whereas with the bus / carpool drivers they don't have the standard pie menu in their template (which they are linked to), along with the self-deleting Hot Dog Chefs and the always-pickpocketing Unsavory Charlatans.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:39 AM #5
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by frogz2007
Why didn't you just simply clone her with the tried and true Sim Surgery / Bodyshop method? She would retain her looks 100%. The only thing you'd have to do would be having to figure out her personality (look in SImPE, in the plug-in view) and jot those values down and then change the values of your clone to match the original. I've done the Bodyshop method with a few Repo Men and all of the others which can be cloned (Social Bunnies crash Bodyshop) and the plus side to this is they're fully functioning Sims and they can do, well, yeah, everything which any other Sim can do. Whereas with the bus / carpool drivers they don't have the standard pie menu in their template (which they are linked to), along with the self-deleting Hot Dog Chefs and the always-pickpocketing Unsavory Charlatans.

I've done that before and well that would be too easy so I wanted to try something new and I figured this one out on my own. I also did a similar method on Sims 1 to add Nancy the paper girl to the family and it worked almost flawlessly. Now she's grown up and married to a sim named Bucky and she had a baby. All I had to do is click on her portrait whenever I load the lot and she would show up immediately. I guess I just like to experiment on things which led to this solution.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 2:53 AM #6
FranH
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,859


At first, I groaned when I read the title of this thread-but you've done it right-cloning NPC's is far safer than making them active in-game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 5:16 AM #7
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
At first, I groaned when I read the title of this thread-but you've done it right-cloning NPC's is far safer than making them active in-game.

It's risky yes but like I said I was willing to take the risk and the result was surprising.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:02 PM #8
gummilutt
Mad Poster

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,319
Thanks: 11168 in 86 Posts
41 Achievements

View My Journal


I wish you people who like to do stupid things like this would keep it to yourself. I respect that some might not care if their game/hood explodes, and if you don't care then by all means experiment away. But why do you have to post about it on the forums? People will read it, and lots of people don't know enough to realize that is a terrible idea. And they don't read, so even if you say "this is probably unsafe" a lot of them won't read it, and even if they do they won't understand what it really means. And even though you might not mind corruption/game exploding, they might. So please, please, please. Experiment as much as you like, but keep it to yourself!

What you did is a terrible idea and will absolutely cause corruption if you do it to NPCs that are not meant to be interacted with. If a Sim has interaction table ID 0xffff, it's because they are supposed to and changing it is a bad BAD idea.

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:36 PM #9
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee



Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,435
Thanks: 4782 in 54 Posts
26 Achievements

View My Journal


@Gamegenius Can you please edit the title so people are not thinking you simply moved a carpool driver in. EG 'How I cloned a carpool driver -not safe' would do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 2:25 PM #10
SneakyWingPhoenix
Theorist

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,068


Quote:
Originally Posted by gummilutt
I wish you people who like to do stupid things like this would keep it to yourself. I respect that some might not care if their game/hood explodes, and if you don't care then by all means experiment away. But why do you have to post about it on the forums? People will read it, and lots of people don't know enough to realize that is a terrible idea. And they don't read, so even if you say "this is probably unsafe" a lot of them won't read it, and even if they do they won't understand what it really means. And even though you might not mind corruption/game exploding, they might. So please, please, please. Experiment as much as you like, but keep it to yourself!

What you did is a terrible idea and will absolutely cause corruption if you do it to NPCs that are not meant to be interacted with. If a Sim has interaction table ID 0xffff, it's because they are supposed to and changing it is a bad BAD idea.

Overexaggerated a little bit, noo? Heck, to me personally this thread gives me insight and it's fun to read at people's inventions/experimentations and what no . Though what I would recommend instead of harsh "KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!", I would recommend to the OP strengthing the disclaimer such as DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME or USE IT AT YOUR RISK ; I'm NOT responsive for your actions ; I reckon/recommend not trying to do this ; May lead to borking your game " or alike. People are still gonna do stupid things one or the other when they get bored or really curious, though I do agree some sort of disclaimer needs to be put out for those people who really are cautions about when it comes to risky stuff.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 2:43 PM #11
gummilutt
Mad Poster

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,319
Thanks: 11168 in 86 Posts
41 Achievements

View My Journal


Disclaimers require people to read it, which I know for a fact they don't. It doesn't matter how clearly you put something in an upload text, no matter how bold, big sized, or with flashing sirens, you will get people who did not read it. And among those that do read it, not everyone will understand it. There are lots of young kids who don't get risk assessment, and there are people who read techy stuff and go nope don't get it but it went fine for them so should be okay. Think about it. Think of all the tv shows showing people smoking and drinking, that add big "DON'T DO DRUGS"-signs. Does that stop anyone? And all the youtube videos of people doing stupid things and then saying "Don't try this at home". Does that stop kids from copying them? No. Disclaimers don't work, they are only there to absolve you of responsibility. And I don't think that's right. If you know people are going to copy you and what you are doing is stupid, then don't put it out there. Because really, what is the purpose of this thread if not to tell others how to do it themselves?

I do get that some of you find this kind of thing really fascinating, and you don't mind reinstalling/starting over hoods. Go forth and be reckless. But I wish there would be more consideration for the unknowns that may lose their favorite hood because they just don't know better. Perhaps those of you who like to try this kind of game-breaking thing can make a social group and discuss it there, that way you get to have your fun but limit expos

And yes I get that this seems extreme, but upload a couple of mods and offer support for them and you will realize how little people read, and how little people understand even though they really try their best. And also feel free to think I am obnoxious, but I effing hate seeing people lose their hoods or get glitches they then can't solve, just because people are irresponsible and think it's the users/downloaders problem to use instructions/creations responsibly.

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 6:23 PM #12
DezzyBoo
Scholar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,459
2 Achievements


Heck, I didn't understand what the OP did anyway
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 6:55 PM #13
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
@Gamegenius Can you please edit the title so people are not thinking you simply moved a carpool driver in. EG 'How I cloned a carpool driver -not safe' would do.

Thanks what do you think of the title change? I don't want to corrupt other people's neighborhood or game because of my curiosity.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 7:05 PM #14
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by gummilutt
Disclaimers require people to read it, which I know for a fact they don't. It doesn't matter how clearly you put something in an upload text, no matter how bold, big sized, or with flashing sirens, you will get people who did not read it. And among those that do read it, not everyone will understand it. There are lots of young kids who don't get risk assessment, and there are people who read techy stuff and go nope don't get it but it went fine for them so should be okay. Think about it. Think of all the tv shows showing people smoking and drinking, that add big "DON'T DO DRUGS"-signs. Does that stop anyone? And all the youtube videos of people doing stupid things and then saying "Don't try this at home". Does that stop kids from copying them? No. Disclaimers don't work, they are only there to absolve you of responsibility. And I don't think that's right. If you know people are going to copy you and what you are doing is stupid, then don't put it out there. Because really, what is the purpose of this thread if not to tell others how to do it themselves?

I do get that some of you find this kind of thing really fascinating, and you don't mind reinstalling/starting over hoods. Go forth and be reckless. But I wish there would be more consideration for the unknowns that may lose their favorite hood because they just don't know better. Perhaps those of you who like to try this kind of game-breaking thing can make a social group and discuss it there, that way you get to have your fun but limit expos

And yes I get that this seems extreme, but upload a couple of mods and offer support for them and you will realize how little people read, and how little people understand even though they really try their best. And also feel free to think I am obnoxious, but I effing hate seeing people lose their hoods or get glitches they then can't solve, just because people are irresponsible and think it's the users/downloaders problem to use instructions/creations responsibly.

I actually did just because I wanted to see what would happen if I make the carpool npc playable and if anything wrong happened in my game then I take full responsibility but so far nothing wrong happened in my game and Amber is married to Cole with twins.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 7:10 PM #15
SneakyWingPhoenix
Theorist

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,068


Quote:
Originally Posted by gummilutt
Disclaimers require people to read it, which I know for a fact they don't. It doesn't matter how clearly you put something in an upload text, no matter how bold, big sized, or with flashing sirens, you will get people who did not read it. And among those that do read it, not everyone will understand it. There are lots of young kids who don't get risk assessment, and there are people who read techy stuff and go nope don't get it but it went fine for them so should be okay. Think about it. Think of all the tv shows showing people smoking and drinking, that add big "DON'T DO DRUGS"-signs. Does that stop anyone? And all the youtube videos of people doing stupid things and then saying "Don't try this at home". Does that stop kids from copying them? No. Disclaimers don't work, they are only there to absolve you of responsibility. And I don't think that's right. If you know people are going to copy you and what you are doing is stupid, then don't put it out there. Because really, what is the purpose of this thread if not to tell others how to do it themselves?

I do get that some of you find this kind of thing really fascinating, and you don't mind reinstalling/starting over hoods. Go forth and be reckless. But I wish there would be more consideration for the unknowns that may lose their favorite hood because they just don't know better. Perhaps those of you who like to try this kind of game-breaking thing can make a social group and discuss it there, that way you get to have your fun but limit expos

And yes I get that this seems extreme, but upload a couple of mods and offer support for them and you will realize how little people read, and how little people understand even though they really try their best. And also feel free to think I am obnoxious, but I effing hate seeing people lose their hoods or get glitches they then can't solve, just because people are irresponsible and think it's the users/downloaders problem to use instructions/creations responsibly.

Sometimes it stops, sometimes it doesn't - which is a fact no matter how you generalize people in. Kids also get to be taught and educated on that matter. I read the OP and I still literally don't know how to do instructed stuff. They're the responsive ones for not taking the disclaimer seriously, not the person who shared the experience of doing something risky.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 8:04 PM #16
ihatemandatoryregister
Mad Poster

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5,959
Thanks: 164 in 5 Posts
5 Achievements


It's really cool that you managed to get it working in the first place, even if it's not safe.

I disagree with gummilutt here. Sharing how to do things is the backbone of MTS, and being willing to take risks is worth something. Maybe someone will see this information and apply it in a different way and figure out something cool (and non-corrupting).

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur.

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 9:09 PM #17
joandsarah77
Needs Coffee



Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,435
Thanks: 4782 in 54 Posts
26 Achievements

View My Journal


Well, I am still not sure what you did hasn't corrupted your hood (since I don't feel inclined to sit and really try and understand what you did right now) as far as I know, car pool drivers are on the 'do not interact list'. Just because your game appears to be running fine now doesn't mean it isn't corrupted. People have this grand idea that corruption means 'firey ball from outer space in a few seconds' and when that does not immediately happen they go phew, missed me! Not realizing corruption is misread data going on behind the scenes which slowly gets worse often over many months. Sometimes the data is such/attaches itself to just the right place a day or two after a person has done something and their hood vanishes/stops loading. Most times it isn't that fast.

Also while MTS is the place to talk about risky things we have always been the place to warn about corruption more than any other, so risk taking is best kept to areas such as modding discussion or within a social group.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 9:15 PM #18
DezzyBoo
Scholar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,459
2 Achievements


Yeah I had a hood eat all my Sims. It was a brand new hood too that I made...

I think I know what I did and I did see it slowly deteriorate.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 9:20 PM #19
gdayars
Turquoise Dragon



Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,667
Thanks: 1782 in 20 Posts
17 Achievements


a couple of questions, did you change the setting in the character file in the hood data or the program data? (documents folder or program files folder) it sounds like hood data, as opposed to program fies, but certain npc characters are impacted by events within hoods, such as crumplebottom being turned into a vampire for instance. That actually corrupts the entire game and leads to needing to have an entire game reinstall rather than just a documents folder replacement. So when you create a new hood, does that carpool person that is created, have the original flag setting or the new one you gave yours?

Also you should do very big, very bold, letters, preferably with lots of warnings, around the information of what you did, as unfortunately, you may know and understand what you did, but not everyone will, and are apt to mess up, and even if they do it correctly, it doesn't mean the hood itself, or the entire game itself, was not just borked by what you did.

So please make sure that there are lots of warnings about what you did, and do lots of testing, to see if what you did had any repercussions. Perhaps a create or modding forum or testers needed type forum, would be a good place to put this thread instead. Interesting information, but needs to be done in a proper way so someone else doesn't inadvertently mess up their game
Last edited by gdayars : 23rd Dec 2017 at 9:29 PM. Reason: because obviously I can't spell...
Old 24th Dec 2017, 2:08 AM #20
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayars
a couple of questions, did you change the setting in the character file in the hood data or the program data? (documents folder or program files folder) it sounds like hood data, as opposed to program fies, but certain npc characters are impacted by events within hoods, such as crumplebottom being turned into a vampire for instance. That actually corrupts the entire game and leads to needing to have an entire game reinstall rather than just a documents folder replacement. So when you create a new hood, does that carpool person that is created, have the original flag setting or the new one you gave yours?

Also you should do very big, very bold, letters, preferably with lots of warnings, around the information of what you did, as unfortunately, you may know and understand what you did, but not everyone will, and are apt to mess up, and even if they do it correctly, it doesn't mean the hood itself, or the entire game itself, was not just borked by what you did.

So please make sure that there are lots of warnings about what you did, and do lots of testing, to see if what you did had any repercussions. Perhaps a create or modding forum or testers needed type forum, would be a good place to put this thread instead. Interesting information, but needs to be done in a proper way so someone else doesn't inadvertently mess up their game

How do I type the warning signs like what you described? And about Ms.Crumplebottom I remember that I aged her down to a teen and child years ago before I even knew that you could corrupt your neighborhood or game while doing so but I must admit it was rather humorous to see Ms.Crumplebottom as a child smack people with her purse and like I said this was before I knew you corrupt your game messing with certain npcs. I just edited the carpool npc file in SimPE went to object data then raw data and changed her interaction table id from 0xffff to
0x0081 to make her interactable.
Old 24th Dec 2017, 8:38 PM #21
hedgekat
Field Researcher

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 410
Thanks: 6306 in 27 Posts
11 Achievements


This thread has been an interesting read. I didn't understand at all what @Gamegenius did. I still don't have that much knowledge of what SimPE can do. And it's not something that I would want to try anyway, but was curious of the results. But I do know about having a long running neighborhood corrupted. My favorite hood ran 14 years before it became unplayable. Looking at the many things that can one can do to corrupt a hood, I realized I had done most of them and it took that long for the corruption to make it unplayable. but NPCs was not one of the things I messed with. That hood interacted only between playable families. I'm trying to recreate it and not doing very well.
Old 24th Dec 2017, 9:29 PM #22
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgekat
This thread has been an interesting read. I didn't understand at all what @Gamegenius did. I still don't have that much knowledge of what SimPE can do. And it's not something that I would want to try anyway, but was curious of the results. But I do know about having a long running neighborhood corrupted. My favorite hood ran 14 years before it became unplayable. Looking at the many things that can one can do to corrupt a hood, I realized I had done most of them and it took that long for the corruption to make it unplayable. but NPCs was not one of the things I messed with. That hood interacted only between playable families. I'm trying to recreate it and not doing very well.

Do you still have the old hood? You could use Mootilda's Hood Replacer to copy the terrain and structure from this link http://modthesims.info/d/279992. Although I don't think that it will copy the buildings on to the new hood it's still worth trying out.
Old 27th Dec 2017, 5:37 AM #23
gdayars
Turquoise Dragon



Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,667
Thanks: 1782 in 20 Posts
17 Achievements


I would just use bold and asterisks and see if any of the Smiley's/emoticons would help mark it.
Old 28th Dec 2017, 1:25 AM #24
Gamegenius
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 206


Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayars
I would just use bold and asterisks and see if any of the Smiley's/emoticons would help mark it.

How do you like the extra touch I added to the title?
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.