Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 12:25 AM
Default Heterochromia/Mismatched Eyes
I know this exists for Sims 2, but for the life of me, I can't find anything to give my Sims 3 sims odd eyes. I've picked over numerous sites and can't locate a thing, and don't know how to begin even making it myself. As someone with acquired heterochromia irl, it would definitely be useful.

If there is an odd-eye mod out there, I'd much appreciate a link or.. well, anything. I'm not asking for anyone to make it for me (you folks are busy enough as it is) but if it already exists and I'm just awful at finding things, I'd really love to know about it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 12:39 AM
I don't think there is babe.
I'm not really sure but I think it has something to do with the way the faces are UV mapped. You'd need to re-map it to allow for separate eye's. Don't quote me on that though since I'm not sure.

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Feb 2010 at 12:49 AM
Thank you for the very prompt reply, Missy. And that would definitely explain why it doesn't exist.. I know enough to understand what a nightmare that would be to make.

I was desperately hoping Sims 3 eyes wouldn't work like 2 where it just uses the same texture for both eyes. But by your reply, though, it does, which is why I haven't been successful in finding any odd eye contacts. Shame, that.
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 5:32 AM
I'm pretty much looking for the same thing, but haven't come up with any results myself.

You'd think that there'd be some sort of way to get the heterochromis by creating a single eye (or even both) as a head accessory (i.e. two separate sets of contacts). I'd be willing to give up glasses and/or earrings to get a pair of eyes I could customize the colors to in order to achieve heterochromis in my sims.

If anybody hears anything new about this, please reply. I've been looking for ages!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 11:35 AM
Sorry to blow my own trumpet here, but is this any use to you? http://www.modthesims.info/d/403048

It's categorised as glasses.

(Also, please note that if you're looking for an item, you need to post under 'Where Can I Find' (http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=559 ) rather than here in the 'Modding & Creation' section, which is for creators - you'll get much more of a chance of your query being seen in 'Where Can I Find', and a moderator will probably come and lock this thread for being in the wrong section! )
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 11:55 AM
Not sure wat you mean but sliders for the eyes are easy to make and prolly already arround.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 12:12 PM
Hi Bloom, they mean two different colour eyes, heterochromia - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterochromia_iridum
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 7:44 PM
ah, thought they wanted rotating/moving eyes
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 8:17 PM
Esme, how edited are your mismatched eyes?
I'm considering (if you don't object) remapping them and assigning them - somehow, I might delete one so I can get the channels working - to the default eye texture so that they can take the textures of the user's default eyes. I had a look at the mesh, and I can see how you've mapped them: I could remap them normally, but I'm a lazy sod, so I'm thinking that I may be able to just import the UVMap from the EA eye mesh. This will, of course, only work (I use the phrase loosely, I dunno if it'll work, but it's only worth trying) if your mesh is essentially the EA mesh, with the rest of the face deleted, and the eyes moved around a little.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Esme, how edited are your mismatched eyes?
I'm considering (if you don't object) remapping them and assigning them - somehow, I might delete one so I can get the channels working - to the default eye texture so that they can take the textures of the user's default eyes. I had a look at the mesh, and I can see how you've mapped them: I could remap them normally, but I'm a lazy sod, so I'm thinking that I may be able to just import the UVMap from the EA eye mesh. This will, of course, only work (I use the phrase loosely, I dunno if it'll work, but it's only worth trying) if your mesh is essentially the EA mesh, with the rest of the face deleted, and the eyes moved around a little.

Hi, yes, please do play around with them if you like, I'd be interested to see what you come up with! Yes, my mesh is just the EA eyes mesh taken out of their default face mesh, not edited at all IIRC (it was a while ago!) - I may have moved them forward a very miniscule bit so that the original eyes didn't show through. The textures are also just the default EA textures.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 9:37 PM Last edited by whiterider : 25th Feb 2011 at 11:50 PM.
Thanks. I'm already cheerfully overcomplicating the project!

ETA: Mmph, well, I seem to have hit a wall already. :/ The multiplier for eyes is just the irises, which is fine; the whites are an overlay, which works since it means I would be able to use a single-colour mask for the whole eye without it affecting the whites. However, the overlay has the iris visible... I dunno why it doesn't overlay over the regular iris on EA eyes, but it sure does on mine. *sigh*

So, I figured that I could use transparency. Have the whites transparent so that the sim's natural whites show through; that works fine, except that I have to use the iris multiplier as the transparency map. The game doesn't take the multiplier's alpha to be the transparency map, it takes the full RGBA image, which is in greyscale, so I end up with the irises partially transparent.

If I remove the overlay and don't use transparency, surprisingly, the eyeball isn't black; but it is grey.

I really don't know what to try next. I considered using the overlay as the multiplier, but it's in colour, and furthermore the CASting would spill over onto the whites. The only thing I can think of is somehow editing the in-game tolerance as regards transparency, so that only pure black is transparent; or making the whole mesh partially transparent somehow, independent of the textures: but I have no idea if that's possible, let alone how to do it.

Any crazy suggestions would be welcome!

ETA again: Ok, so I came up with the brilliant idea of adding a 128 grey transparency map to the whole thing. And now... my sim's whites are bright blue? I are confused! I should probably be posting this in my journal! http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...eenshot-592.jpg

Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 4:11 PM
Wow, that all sounds hideously complicated. My original idea was to just make one eye, but then I realised that it would have a different texture from the other eye depending on what default replacement eyes each player was using, and I didn't know it was possible to assign the accessory eye to a default replacement eye texture, or how to do that. So I went with two eyes with their own texture.

Funny, I have a very distant memory of ending up with eyes with bright blue whites at first too, but can not remember what I did to achieve that! I remember having quite a bit of trouble and trial and error before creating a set of .DDS's that would do what I was trying to do, ie make two normal-looking eyes that could be recoloured separately and correctly. I'm not that experienced a creator and those eyes were a total headache to make!

Looking forward to developments, and I hope someone more experienced than me has some good crazy (or not) suggestions!
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Aug 2011 at 1:11 PM
Default Looking for heterochromia as well
Quote:
ETA again: Ok, so I came up with the brilliant idea of adding a 128 grey transparency map to the whole thing. And now... my sim's whites are bright blue? I are confused! I should probably be posting this in my journal! http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...eenshot-592.jpg

whiterider, have you gotten passed this wall yet?
I'm not an expert in this area, but you did ask for "any crazy suggestions":

As I recall Cyan + Red = white. In your picture, the "whites" are cyan, while the iris is red. Maybe they packed the pallet; using 1 & 1/2 bytes for each color.
If you split the pallet, lets see:
I assume 128 grey in hex is 808080. Cyan is no red and equal green & blue.
That's not it, it would split into magenta and green... I wonder how this map is applied?

Maybe there is another layer adding blue & green or removing the red.
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 3:32 AM
Those eye meshes are pain, EA so messed things up on those.
The first thing they did is uvmap both the eyes identical on the same spot except for the adult male(and maybe the teen male?)
On those they did mirror one eye on the uvmap(still on the same spot)

You can edit the default adult eye meshes but the teen and elder contain bonehashes that get messed up when you import/export them from a 3d proggy

I do have a test file wich includes contactlenses(iris only) but its giving strange glitches in CAS(looks ok ingame)
Another problem with custom meshes is that the special light(effect) dissapears on the eyes
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 21st Aug 2011 at 10:38 AM
I didn't, no, but I do know what causes it - it's the game applying the texture of another accessory, which happens to be cyan, as a background to the translucent eye texture.

Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 12:09 PM
I'm just curious. What's stopping one from making contacts (non-default eyes as face mask makeup) as normal, but when it comes to CAST regions, mapping one eye as the red and the other as blue (simple example)? <--ignoring the obnoxious task of making the eye base able to recolour properly.

There's also the option of finding eye creators that are open to alterations to solve Esmeralda's problem. Or you could just make your own one-eye-contact to match your own default eyes and make a short tutorial for how to do it so other creators could make a heterochromia option available with their eyes.
Test Subject
#17 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dyreplus
I'm just curious. What's stopping one from making contacts (non-default eyes as face mask makeup) as normal, but when it comes to CAST regions, mapping one eye as the red and the other as blue (simple example)? <--ignoring the obnoxious task of making the eye base able to recolour properly.

There's also the option of finding eye creators that are open to alterations to solve Esmeralda's problem. Or you could just make your own one-eye-contact to match your own default eyes and make a short tutorial for how to do it so other creators could make a heterochromia option available with their eyes.

You only have one eye mask. It just double the one eye texture/mask for the other eye, therefore making that impossible.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#18 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 6:59 PM
Indeed; makeup wouldn't work, because you only have one spot on the mask to paint in a certain colour for both eyes.

Making a single lens as an accessory does work, and yes, you could then apply the textures of whichever default eyes you use to the lens normally. But that wouldn't be nearly as good as having it pick up default textures automatically, so I'm not going to do it that way.

Test Subject
#19 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 1:37 PM
Double bugger. And I don't want contacts as accessories (bad memories of loading times for the accessories section in Sims 2).

Well, going off Bloom's comment of making a new mesh, to combat the loss of eye effect (assuming the dot of "shine"), why not just make a shine in the texture for the new mesh? Obviously it wouldn't move like the dot of shine EA has but it'd combat the dead eye look.
Test Subject
#20 Old 22nd Oct 2012 at 4:54 AM
i think i have done something wrong. (i have never downloaded custom content before so im pretty clueless) i installed the old version of the eyes and they dont show up in the game. i also read a guide for custom content not showing up in game and downloaded the NoSparkles and NoIntro thingy. but none of it works and the eyes are not showing up in the accesories. any suggestions?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#21 Old 22nd Oct 2012 at 10:26 AM
I have no idea what eyes you're talking about, but if NoIntro isn't working then you've installed it incorrectly - go over the instructions again, and if you're still stuck, use the forums under the Help menu.

Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Oct 2013 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I have no idea what eyes you're talking about, but if NoIntro isn't working then you've installed it incorrectly - go over the instructions again, and if you're still stuck, use the forums under the Help menu.
Thanks so much Everythings all fixed.