Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 4:36 AM Last edited by LunaJupi : 29th Apr 2007 at 5:31 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default -SOLVED-"Application has crashed. Application will now terminate" after splash screen
This is very odd. I have every EP up to Pets and the game has been working fine for me since I installed it months ago. Just recently (and quite suddenly) it started displaying this message after the splash screen "Application has crashed. Application will now terminate."

Since it was working fine just yesterday, I can't imagine what's wrong with it. It did, however, only start doing this after attempting a system restore (which failed) and doing a lot of rebooting.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisement
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 5:07 AM
Would you please post your computer specifications? This faq will help you find that information: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=112711

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Apr 2007 at 5:29 AM
==System==

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional (5.1 build, 2600)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 3.00GHZ (2CPUs) ~3.0GHz
Memory:512MB RAM
Page File:214MB used, 651 MB available
DirectX Version:DirectX 9.0

==Display==

Name: RADEON 9600 series
Manufacturer: ATI technologies inc.
Chip Type:ATI RADEON 9600 series AGP (0x4150)
Approx. Total Memory:128.0 MGB

Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6517

This information?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 12:37 AM
Okay, a little more information...I know it has nothing to do with the downloads: I removed them all and got the same result. I got it to work for a moment after re-installing Pets. I quit, then went to MTS2 to download more content. When I tried opening Sims2 after that, it went back to the error message!

I removed the content I just downloaded and that didn't seem to be the problem. This is a mystery to me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 1:55 AM
ONE MORE NOTE, PROBABLY IMPORTANT: I just checked my "logs" folder and there's a file that was created called "texture errors". Is this a problem with my graphics card?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 4:30 AM
as long as the texture errors.log is empty nothing should be wrong with it. if there is something written inside maybe it gives you some clue on a defective download file.

game crashing with error "Application has crashed. Application will now terminate" really can have many sources. unstable operation system, hardware errors, bad or old drivers, errors in your EA Games folder > My Documents or bad files in your download.

you are a bit low on RAM with 512 MB i think, with 1024 the game runs much smoother. but it should not be the reason for the crashing i think. the game will just run with more loading times with 512 because it has to swap files between your ram and the paging file all the time.
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 7:23 AM
Try this article. It's long, but it will help you figure out which file is causing the problem if it is a problem file. I had a radeon 9600 before seasons and didn't have any problems with it at all. It is supported for Pets. You might check if you've got the most recent drivers.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JLonier
Try this article. It's long, but it will help you figure out which file is causing the problem if it is a problem file. I had a radeon 9600 before seasons and didn't have any problems with it at all. It is supported for Pets. You might check if you've got the most recent drivers.

I've tried that wiki, nothing seemed to work.

It's strange, because I re-installed my latest expansion and it worked briefly. Then I quit, left the computer overnight, and suddenly it's crashing this morning.
Maybe I should try and re-install the base game+ALL expansions. It'd be a real kick in the teeth if it didn't work after that, though, since it takes 2+ hours.
Instructor
#9 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 3:06 PM
Delete groups.cache from your Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2.

This file tends to get corrupted, causing errors or crashes as it is read.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jordi
Delete groups.cache from your Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2.

This file tends to get corrupted, causing errors or crashes as it is read.

Tried that. no luck. =(

As much as I'm going to loathe it, I think I'll just try re-installing the base game +expansions. I'll be sure post the result.
I think the failed System Restore I was messing with somehow broke the game...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 11:58 PM
I just reinstalled everything. I tried to download the Pets Patch from EA's site and a dialouge box pops up saying "Error during installation. You may need to uninstall/reinstall the sims2 pets."

UGH. This is frustrating...
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 2:10 AM
I had the same error. I deleted the patch and downloaded it again. It installed the second time.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
I had the same error. I deleted the patch and downloaded it again. It installed the second time.

Didn't work for me...
I was told at another board that it could be the low amount of RAM or something? But I don't think so, as it was working fine before. I'm thinking the failed system restore might have really screwed up my computer. I might just have to re-install Windows XP! >__<
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th Apr 2007 at 5:14 PM
I actually resorted to re-installing Windows XP. Guess what? Same error. I just installed the Seasons Ep, too. Same deal as with Pets: It works once or twice after I install it, then by the 3rd or so time I try and boot it up, I get the "Application has crashed" error.

There's really nothing left to do now! Does anyone have ANY more possible solutions?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 5:31 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED.

Turned out to be a virus that (apparently) only Synmatec could pick up. It's called W32.Pinfi and also goes by the name W32.Parite.

Anyone (and there's many out there) who has the same problem as me should check it out.
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#16 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 8:32 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you figured out what the problem was and were able to fix it.

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
| Locked by: julianarosalia Reason: Solved