Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 4:04 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons
Default Trouble Loading the Game
Hey! I've been having trouble loading my Sims 2 game & Expansions On my Windows 10 Laptop (Dell G5 15). I have the Sims 2 Double Deluxe, University Life Collection, Seasons, & Open for Business. I have downloaded every patch and downloaded an updated NIVIDIA sgr file. I followed the instructions in this tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ4AhNM9S20&t=521s). However I run into the same issue, the issue is that whenever I press the play button on the launcher my cursor will become the sims cursor, the screen will zoom in, and I will hear the sims music however I still see my background just zoomed in. I have dual monitors and I thought that would be the problem but I have turned one off duplicated the screens, etc. to no luck. Please help me out!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 5:38 PM
1. start with disabling double monitor feature, the game may gets confused where is that actual viewport;
2. try to running the game directly from the main executable, not the launcher (if the "launcher" means something else than a shortcut);

if that won't help, someone with an actual wisdom about actual Windows 10 shenanigans shall appear there soon.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
1. start with disabling double monitor feature, the game may gets confused where is that actual viewport;
2. try to running the game directly from the main executable, not the launcher (if the "launcher" means something else than a shortcut);

if that won't help, someone with an actual wisdom about actual Windows 10 shenanigans shall appear there soon.

Thanks for the quick response! When I say the launcher I mean when I click the shortcut then the Sims 2 play button will appear- that’s the only way I know how to get the game to start, and when i tried turning off one of the screens the game still did the same thing
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 9:22 PM
Not entirely sure which is the newest EP of the ones you have, but have you tried making a shortcut to that EXE file? Should be named "Sims2EPX" (X for the highest EP number you have).
I'm not sure if the SPs IKEA and TSS matter, since both are newer than Seasons, but it's possible University Life runs on a newer game engine since it's a collection. Everything gets more confusing with the collections...

The default shortcut is usually borked because it leads to the old launcher, which may cause issues.

It does sound like you may have some resolution issues still (make sure your game match as close as possible to the resolution on your screen - if you run in fullscreen you could have issues if there's a big gap between the game and the screen). Maybe go back and check if you did the GraphicRules properly. Sometimes it helps to run the game in windowed mode.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Not entirely sure which is the newest EP of the ones you have, but have you tried making a shortcut to that EXE file? Should be named "Sims2EPX" (X for the highest EP number you have).
I'm not sure if the SPs IKEA and TSS matter, since both are newer than Seasons, but it's possible University Life runs on a newer game engine since it's a collection. Everything gets more confusing with the collections...

The default shortcut is usually borked because it leads to the old launcher, which may cause issues.

It does sound like you may have some resolution issues still (make sure your game match as close as possible to the resolution on your screen - if you run in fullscreen you could have issues if there's a big gap between the game and the screen). Maybe go back and check if you did the GraphicRules properly. Sometimes it helps to run the game in windowed mode.

Thanks for the response Whenever I load the game it’s automatically full screen, do you know how to make it as a window instead?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leagrab
Thanks for the response Whenever I load the game it’s automatically full screen, do you know how to make it as a window instead?

Open the Properties of the shortcut for the latest pack (it might be Sims2EP5 for Seasons, or Sims2SP8 for IKEA), then in the Target section add -w at the end after the quote.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:11 PM
Make sure to also delete the cache files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
Open the Properties of the shortcut for the latest pack (it might be Sims2EP5 for Seasons, or Sims2SP8 for IKEA), then in the Target section add -w at the end after the quote.

Now its just a whitebox with music haha
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Make sure to also delete the cache files.

How do I do that?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 12:26 AM

How do I know if I did the GraphicRules properly?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 12:47 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Jul 2019 at 1:07 AM.
Cache files:
- Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2
- Delete these files, or the ones of these you can see (2-4 of these are present, some generate when you start up the game or Bodyshop, the others generate only when you use Bodyshop, possibly also Homecrafter)
*Accessory.cache
*Groups.cache
*cigen.package
*ContentRegistry

GraphicRules file:
Check all the steps again, to see if you followed the instructions properly.

Windowed Shortcut directly to EXE file:
(C): > Program Files x86 > Origin Games > The Sims 2 > *latest EP/SP* > TSBin > Sims2SPX.exe OR Sims2EPX.exe

Right-click the Sims2EPX.exe file, choose "create shortcut", follow the steps, and drag it to your desktop. If the computer throws an error that asks you if you want to create a shortcut on the desktop instead, click yes.

(Bolded areas above may change according to your latest EP/SP, the X indicates the number)

Right-click the new shortcut, choose "properties", under "shortcut" tab, find "target", then add a space and -w after the ", like so
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\*EP OR SP FOLDER*\TSBin\Sims2EPX.exe" -w

(PS: I have no clue which EP or SP your game uses to run from - I'd think it would be either Seasons which is EP5 or Ikea which is SP8, but since the collections may run on either the FT or AL/M&G engines since they're post-2008, it's a bit difficult to say, particularly if you get a "University life" splash screen. I haven't dealt with any of the collections except for UC).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 1:14 AM
Cache files:
- Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2
- Delete these files, or the ones of these you can see (2-4 of these are present, some generate when you start up the game or Bodyshop, the others generate only when you use Bodyshop, possibly also Homecrafter)
*Accessory.cache
*Groups.cache
*cigen.package
*ContentRegistry

GraphicRules file:
Check all the steps again, to see if you followed the instructions properly.

Windowed Shortcut directly to EXE file:
(C): > Program Files x86 > Origin Games > The Sims 2 > *latest EP/SP* > TSBin > Sims2SPX.exe OR Sims2EPX.exe

Right-click the Sims2EPX.exe file, choose "create shortcut", follow the steps, and drag it to your desktop. If the computer throws an error that asks you if you want to create a shortcut on the desktop instead, click yes.

(Bolded areas above may change according to your latest EP/SP, the X indicates the number)

Right-click the new shortcut, choose "properties", under "shortcut" tab, find "target", then add a space and -w after the ", like so
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\*EP OR SP FOLDER*\TSBin\Sims2EPX.exe" -w

(PS: I have no clue which EP or SP your game uses to run from - I'd think it would be either Seasons which is EP5 or Ikea which is SP8, but since the collections may run on either the FT or AL/M&G engines since they're post-2008, it's a bit difficult to say, particularly if you get a "University life" splash screen. I haven't dealt with any of the collections except for UC).

I followed all this, the game pops up as just a white window now and I can here the music still. I have an external dvd drive but I'm not sure if that is the problem because it downloaded everything just fine, I am so frustrated with this but thank you everyone for being so patient with me during this. I for sure think it is a graphical issue but my laptop runs the sims 3 and sims 4 smoothly and just fine, however I know sims 2 is much more out of date.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 2:06 AM
Watch the video in the sticky area in help on the graphic rules and 4 gb patch-you may also need that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 2:11 AM
TS2 is a 32-bit game, which Win10 is very well known for creating a lot of issues with (I have Win10+the UC, which can be an even worse combo).

Did the video mention that you also need to make sure your VideoCard file points to your graphic card, paricularly if you have dual cards? Most newer cards are "incompatible" with TS2 because it's a really old game, so you have to trick TS2 into using the proper card.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 2:55 AM
Watch the video in the sticky area in help on the graphic rules and 4 gb patch-you may also need that.

i’m so sorry for being kind of a beginner at all this tech stuff- what sticky area-help section?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 3:08 AM
You posted in the help section, the help section has a sticky post area. Scroll up until you see the heading Community >Sims Discussion >Sims 2 >Sims 2 Help . Click the last part 'Sims 2 Help' see the blue looking area? (might depend on what theme you have your page set on, I am on BlueFish.) But the stickied threads should be a different colour. Look in there, probably near the top. If you are on the UC you may also want the stickied UC thread.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 4:40 AM
You posted in the help section, the help section has a sticky post area. Scroll up until you see the heading Community >Sims Discussion >Sims 2 >Sims 2 Help . Click the last part 'Sims 2 Help' see the blue looking area? (might depend on what theme you have your page set on, I am on BlueFish.) But the stickied threads should be a different colour. Look in there, probably near the top. If you are on the UC you may also want the stickied UC thread.

Welp- no luck, I got frustrated and uninstalled everything, whenever i tried to download the 4gb patch it wouldn’t make the 2048 go to 4096 in the conig logs file, ill try fresh tmw after redoing it all
Mad Poster
#18 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 11:31 AM
If it doesn't change to 4096, the patch is not properly enabled. Try copy the exe file you are patching to the desktop, then apply the patch to this, and replace the exe file with the patched one. Sometimes it doesn't work if you patch directly on the file in Program Files.

Make sure you haven't turned on compability modes or admin in Properties for the shortcut, because this can interfere with the patch.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 3:09 PM
If it doesn't change to 4096, the patch is not properly enabled. Try copy the exe file you are patching to the desktop, then apply the patch to this, and replace the exe file with the patched one. Sometimes it doesn't work if you patch directly on the file in Program Files.

Make sure you haven't turned on compability modes or admin in Properties for the shortcut, because this can interfere with the patch.

When I do run the game it runs as "The Sims 2 Store" which came with the University Life Collection, should I only apply the patch to that or all of them just to be safe?
Scholar
#20 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 3:37 PM
em; ok - since basic stuff does not appears as working, maybe we try different approach.

How the game see the machine? Post, please, the content of the
Code:
Documents\EA Games\[Sims 2 folder name]\[ComputerName]-config-log.txt

between 'spoiler' tags there. Whatever the intestines your machine have it's important to determine what the game actually understand from it.

Are you sure that OneDrive (and other mess) is disabled? W10 confuse older software pretty hard sometimes, it does not help that after each messy update (feature ones in particular) many things gets turned upside down and older advices may no longer be usable or produce "an unexpected journey", or whatever.

From what we now now, the game (even in windowed mode, which means it's working on the basic modeset probably using builtin iGPU) does not recognise its enviroment.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#21 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 3:48 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Jul 2019 at 12:50 AM.
A bit of info about the Store version: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_2_Store_Edition
Says it requires Pets to work, not sure about that (Seasons and the SPs in the Uni pack came after Pets, so my guess is that it means it requires 'any EP/SP after Pets'). Is there an EXE file named Sims2StoreEdition.exe (or something similar)? Could be you need to run the game from this EXE.

You may be able to uninstall just the Store version, though you may lose any saved games you have (and any backups made with the Store version installed may not work after - but if you haven't played the game before on this computer, that's probably not an issue).

The Store version may be what's causing issues, possibly similar to what the Launcher did back when it made the game unplayable for a lot of people.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 11:50 PM
Don't get the store ugg that will mess you up. I'm sure there was a thread around here where Moo explained how not to install that.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 10:20 AM
The posts that I was able to find about people with the Store Edition mentioned them uninstalling whatever EP or collection pack it came with and then reinstalling without the Store Edition. Apparently you're given the choice to include it or not when you install a pack that has the Store Edition as an option. I wasn't able to find any mention that it was possible to uninstall only the Store Edition part.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 5th Oct 2019 at 10:04 PM
em; ok - since basic stuff does not appears as working, maybe we try different approach.

Code:

between 'spoiler' tags there. Whatever the intestines your machine have it's important to determine what the game actually understand from it.

Are you sure that OneDrive (and other mess) is disabled? W10 confuse older software pretty hard sometimes, it does not help that after each messy update (feature ones in particular) many things gets turned upside down and older advices may no longer be usable or produce "an unexpected journey", or whatever.

From what we now now, the game (even in windowed mode, which means it's working on the basic modeset probably using builtin iGPU) does not recognise its enviroment.

Hi! I am finally back and ready to try this again, I got very discourage. I am going to try just with the Sims 2 Double Deluxe rather then all my packs. I applied the patch and I am currently going to apply the 4GB patch. Where would I find that code to show you what mine says?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 5th Oct 2019 at 10:09 PM

Code:

here it is: copy and pasted:

Log generated on 10/5/2019, 15:47

=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 SP4
Version: 1.8.0.80
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.0
CPU: 3091.199951Mhz, Name:GenuineIntel, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 2048MB
Free memory: 2048MB
User: leagr
Computer: DESKTOP-PJNMFJE
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
Name (database): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
(Integrated Chipset)
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 3e9b, Board: 08251028, Chipset: 0000
Driver: igdumdim32.dll, Version: 26.20.100.6860, GUID: D7B78E66-7DDB-11CF-5469-4128BBC2D735
Driver version: 6860
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY5
Monitor aspect: 1.780405, 16:9
Screen mode: 1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory: 32MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 1
Name (driver): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
Name (database): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
(Integrated Chipset)
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 3e9b, Board: 08251028, Chipset: 0000
Driver: igdumdim32.dll, Version: 26.20.100.6860, GUID: D7B78E66-7DDB-11CF-5469-4128BBC2D735
Driver version: 6860
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY6
Monitor aspect: 1.782771, 16:9
Screen mode: 1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory: 32MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1

Global properties
-----------------
uintProp propertyRevision 6
boolProp allowCustomContent true
boolProp animationLOD false
uintProp antialiasingQuality 0
boolProp autoCentering true
boolProp autoLogin false
boolProp bumpMapping false
boolProp checkForPatch true
boolProp constrainFloorElevation true
uintProp cutawayMemorySize 3
boolProp cutawayOutside true
boolProp disableCustomObjects true
boolProp displayCustomObjectInfo true
boolProp displayLookAtBoxes false
boolProp displayPaths false
boolProp deviceVsynch true
uintProp dynamicRenderStrategy 0
boolProp edgeScrolling true
floatProp horzedgescrollrate 0.5
floatProp vertedgescrollrate 0.5
uintProp effectPriorityLevel 3
stringProp lastLoadedNeighborhood
boolProp freeWill true
floatProp geomBoneInfluenceThreshold 0.01
boolProp geomCheckGeomDataIntegrity false
uintProp geomGenerateTangentSpaceNormalLines 0
boolProp geomGenerateTangentSpaceSxT false
floatProp geomGeneratedTangentSpaceNormalLineLength 0.1
uintProp geomMaxBoneInfluencesPerVertex 4
sintProp geomMaxMorphTargetDeltasPerVertex 4
floatProp geomMorphTargetDeltaThreshold 0.001
floatProp geomPerBoneBoundBlendWeightThreshold 0.9
boolProp guob true
boolProp interrupt false
boolProp lightOpenGLStyle false
uintProp lightingQuality 3
boolProp livePIP true
boolProp lotInfoAdvancedMode false
stringProp lotWindowFillColor (0,0,0,1)
uintProp maxParticlesTarget 10000
uintProp maxTerrainGrade 5
boolProp morph true
stringProp neighborhoodWindowFillColor (0.5,0.5,0.5,1)
boolProp noStupidIFFUnlocking false
boolProp optimizeMeshes true
floatProp particleDamping 0
floatProp particleDensity 1
uintProp particleLODOffset 0
floatProp particleScale 1
floatProp particleSizeThreshold 1
boolProp quickTips true
boolProp reduceBoneWeights false
boolProp renderOpaqueUI false
boolProp reflectionWithExtraViewer false
boolProp rotateCameraSims1Mode false