Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 4:27 PM
I had the black shadow box with a couple of my computers, but I've mostly played without shadows at all, so it's not been bothered me that much. I've only had Nvidia cards, so I don't have any experience with AMD.
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#27 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 4:51 PM Last edited by iCad : 10th Jul 2019 at 5:18 PM.
NVIDIA cards running certain drivers have the "black box" indoor shadows, which is easily fixable either by setting shadows to medium (which means you lose outdoor shadows) or by getting the mod that fixes it. AMD cards have driver issues that in combination with running TS2 can seriously mess up saving the game if you have more than ~2GB of CC, and as far as I've heard there is no fix for it. Jo can tell you all about it, and she's certainly not the only one who had the problem. Both of these are the consequences of running a 15-year-old game on hardware that it doesn't understand. THAT'S the problem, not any particular GPU.

I prefer NVIDIA, myself. My CAD program haaaaaates AMD cards, so I avoid them in general. I've never had any problem with NVIDIA + TS2, though I've read that other people have. It seems there's no "one size fits all" for any of these issues.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
AMD cards have driver issues that in combination with running TS2 can seriously mess up saving the game if you have more than ~2GB of CC, and as far as I've heard there is no fix for it.

If I remember correctly, it's the newer drivers that cause those problems. I haven't allowed a graphics driver update on this machine since I got it in 2016. I only play older games on it (mostly Sims 2 and Sid Meier's "Pirates!"), so that's not a problem for me.
Undead Molten Llama
#29 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 7:15 PM
Yeah, me, too. I use an older driver for my card because TS2 definitely didn't like the newest one for it. Luckily, TS3 still likes the older one, too, since I've been playing that lately.

Using the older driver does cause a few problems on my machine, though. Like if I go to websites where embedded videos autoplay, the driver constantly resets, making the screen go black for a couple of seconds, which is annoying when you're trying to read news articles. And also, my desktop icons rearrange themselves sometimes, so I had to get a program that remembers the icon layout and will restore the layout I've saved. But I'll put up with these annoyances if it means I can play my game.

That said, I think Jo tried rolling back AMD drivers when they were giving her hell and it didn't work. I don't remember exactly why. Perhaps she will be along when she wakes up to regale us with her tale of woe.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Page 2 of 2