Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 5:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Basement is filled with water and sand around my lot
I worked hard on my basement and the next day I loaded into the game to find it filled with water and sand around my lot. It is a set for my series but now I can't use it. Any idea how to fix it?? I really don't want to start over

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 7:03 PM
Do the other houses in the hood have basements also, or is this the first one you've made?

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 7:04 PM Last edited by gazania : 8th Jul 2019 at 4:54 PM. Reason: Eek. Bad grammar and other stuff.
Your hood terrain is probably set low ... around beach-level. Many terrains are designed like that to put more beach lots around the edges. I found that any houses or lots with basements or a recessed area, any lots with water extending more than two tiles near borders or with deep ponds, etc. can produce water-logged houses or beachy areas.

I learned through annoying experience to always test any new downloaded lot with a pond in a throw-away hood using the same terrain to see if you have any problems. If any lots have either deep ponds or ponds very near borders, move the pond in (don't save if the pond area gets wonky), and push up the terrain underwater a little (oh, the joy of quitting without saving! ) . It may take some trial and error; hence the throw-away test hood.

For basements in a low-lying terrain, your best bet is to either use higher areas or make higher areas. Not easy in a more-compact downtown, I know.

If the terrain in the lot turns beachy and you don't want to move the lot, I kind of cheat in this situation ... there are terrain paints and tiles you can use to at least not point out the beachy area within the lot. I believe the base game has grass tiles; if not, there are plenty of CC tiles that are grassy or that can work with your building. Ditto with terrain paints. That doesn't help the in-lot area view extending beyond the borders, though. I've been known to mess around with neighborhood terrain objects and cheat like !@#$ to cover that up as much as possible. Probably not the most expert advice, but hey, if you want to go quick and dirty, it works!

Reader's Digest version of this long post: Once I got into the habit of testing the crud out of downloaded lots in a junk hood copy of my terrain and fixing them, my problems with beachy lots and flooded basements dwindled to almost nothing. Your best bet for flooded basements would be to put the lot in a higher area. Ponds can be moved in at least two tiles from borders and the underwater terrain elevated if the pond is very deep ... enough for fishing and plants, but not enough to cause beachiness. And quitting without saving is your friend while in-lot!

EDIT: And .... forgot something. If you have EP7 (Free Time), you might ... MIGHT ... be able to alter a little of the beachy terrain using modifyneighborhoodterrain on/off. I save a backup of my hood in case I REALLY mess up. It might not help the areas right near your lot borders, but it might at least make the area you need to camouflage a little less prominent. Lots of "mights " here on purpose.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
Do the other houses in the hood have basements also, or is this the first one you've made?

This is the only lot. The rest are hood decorations
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 11:23 PM
The water table on your hood is low so you either need to raise the hood terrain using the terrain cheats, live with water in the basement (it's graphical only) or get rid of the basement.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 11:30 PM
Or move the house to higher ground, if there is any in the neighborhood.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jul 2019 at 11:55 PM Last edited by rayder : 8th Jul 2019 at 12:02 AM. Reason: I figured out how to raise it
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The water table on your hood is low so you either need to raise the hood terrain using the terrain cheats, live with water in the basement (it's graphical only) or get rid of the basement.

I can raise the hood terrain. It's a set hood for my series.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 12:15 AM
Great! My question was getting at whether you've had this problem with other basements in the same area or not, so I agree with the others that if you've not seen this before *because you've not tried to put a basemented home in this area before*, then it's just an issue of the terrain in the area being too low.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Instructor
#9 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 1:24 AM
Mootilda once wrote about 'preventing lot flooding' for certain EPs: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...840#post3579840
(I said certain EPs, means it does not work with some EPs. Well, if you have UC, it may work. Though I'm not sure if anyone is willing to do it at small lots)