Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th May 2019 at 2:07 PM
Default Wishing with the Genie or Wishing Well
On one of my TOT lots I have a dusty lamp, and one of the sims there rolled a want to have a wish.
I only let sims who roll a want to make a wish actually wish, and usually I know exactly what they'd wish for, but for this sim, I'm stumped.
I was wondering if any of you could inspire me.

Do you let sims make wishes in your game?
If so when do you let them, and how do you determine what they wish for?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th May 2019 at 2:38 PM
I have Cyjon's expanded genie wishes, so that gives me a broad base to choose from. Generally I save the lamps for emergencies, to wish for immunity during a plague, or in case I want to resurrect someone. Some people have some defining characteristic (a backstory that requires they be wealthy, for example) that allows them to wish for wealth, which I normally wouldn't do as it's too easy to make money in this game as it is.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#3 Old 8th May 2019 at 9:03 PM
have yet to use either wishing object.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th May 2019 at 9:29 PM
Very rarely, but I have started using Cindy's lamp rules. https://pleasantsims.com/pleasant-sims-rules/#Lamps

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#5 Old 8th May 2019 at 9:33 PM
For some reason my sims get the magic lamp delivered pretty frequently, even though it's supposed to be rare! So I have a lot of "self-made" (more like self-wished) rich sims, since I usually don't care to have them resurrect anyone. The beauty wish is really annoying with all the unwanted random visitors and the "cheat death" usually just leads to elders pleading for their lives every time they're supposed to die of old age so they live for way too long. So the only wishes I actually use are the wealth one, and occasionally I'll do the long life and peace of mind. I do have the mod that adds in the youth wish, but so far I haven't actually had any sims use that yet.

As for the wishing well... my sims suck at the garden club and have yet to get one, but I've cheated and given sims wishing wells before! I like using all the wishing well options, since they seem more balanced and, well, actually useful. The money wish only gives 1,000 simoleans, the friends wish is really great for getting promotions, and the romance wish is similar to the genie beauty wish, but with only one sim and no random lot visitors. Plus the "failure" options on all the wishing well wishes are funny
Scholar
#6 Old 8th May 2019 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Modder
For some reason my sims get the magic lamp delivered pretty frequently, even though it's supposed to be rare!

This is something I have happening frequently in my game, too. Usually when a Sim reaches their LTW or has Platinum for a while.

Quote: Originally posted by Modder
The beauty wish is really annoying with all the unwanted random visitors

There's a fix/mod to prevent this from happening without actually ruining the actual wish (if that made sense). I'll try to find it for you if you want it.

Just to join in on the thread: I've never actually used the Wishing Well as much as I've used the Genie Lamp. One time, the Wishing Well gave me Mrs. Crumplebottom out of it! Never again.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th May 2019 at 10:09 PM
I let them wish but only as teens/adults/elder. It is mostly "cheating death", unless they have issues with money. And I let Chloe Curious wish for beauty, just to try it out. The only rule I have is that if there is children in the household, their parents spare the wishes for them.

Sorry for my grammar errors - english is not my native language :)
Alchemist
#8 Old 8th May 2019 at 10:43 PM
Sure, I let them wish. I pretty much let them do anything that the game generates if it drives the story somewhere interesting. A random child's wish to resurrect a major character was the start of a super-complex wide-ranging storyline.
Scholar
#9 Old 9th May 2019 at 1:59 AM
If there's a Family Sim in the household, they have to wish for peace of mind - older Family Sims can be unbearable otherwise, when they're past childbearing but their offspring aren't producing huge numbers of grandchildren. Fortune Sims always wish for wealth, and other Sims mostly use these two as well.

I rarely use the other wishes. I did wish to resurrect someone once, but they came back as a zombie, which put me off it forever, even if there probably is a mod to cure zombies these days.

As for when: if an adult finds the lamp, they or other household members can use it right away. If it's in a child's memory, it goes in the child's inventory for use when they have their own household (although they can use it to wish for wealth earlier, if they need college tuition fees).
Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th May 2019 at 10:52 AM
If one of the pixels gets a magic lamp, I usually stow it away in their inventory. I usually have them wish for money. If they don't need it they can pass it along to their children as an inheritance.
I have a modded well that allows one to wish for 'romance' and it usually spawns a exact match for the wish maker. It's nice to have something other than a crystal ball to do this with.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#11 Old 9th May 2019 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
There's a fix/mod to prevent this from happening without actually ruining the actual wish (if that made sense). I'll try to find it for you if you want it.

Cyjon fixed the beauty wish here:
http://www.cyjon.net/node/267

Midgethetree made a mod which allows you to use Cyjon's new genie wishes and Black Spirit's youth wish at the same time. You still have to download the individual Cyjon wishes that you want to use.
https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...you-have-showed
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th May 2019 at 2:31 PM
Genie Lamps are outlawed in my Riverside due to the associated risk of zombieism caused by botched resurrections (which are by themselves a major social taboo with legal repercussions). That's not to say the law isn't occasionally broken – whether it's by the sole provider of a destitute family, or a recently orphaned child governed by their grief, some Sims are desperate enough to cross that line. If a Sim of mine gets their hands on a Lamp, I make an individual assessment, bearing in mind the Lamp owner's aspiration, personality, and situation. The vast majority of my Sims are law-abiding citizens who follow protocol and turn the Lamp in to the SCIA (for safekeeping, of course), in return for a modest compensation of 750 simoleons.

Do you ever hear a song so beautiful you want to financially support the artist, but you can't because the artist is a common wood pigeon?