Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 11:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can anyone help me with this UI glitch?
Hi! I've came across a UI glitch while using a mod and I want to see if there's anyway to fix it or understand what's causing it.

I've been using Keoni-chan's "Talk to Me", a conversation icon replacement mod for a while. The mod can be found here. After a while I noticed that it's causing a UI glitch when I hover over the hobby enthusiasm panel. It's a black box and line next to all the hobby images. I'll attach a picture of what it looks like.

Without the mod this glitch isn't present. I tried removing ALL my mods and only have this mod in and the visual glitch is still present. So it's not interacting or conflicting with any of my mods and the problem is caused by the mod itself. I'm sure I don't have a mod that adjusts the same sources, anyways. I even tried adding Clean UI to my game to see if it's a Sims UI issue. I tried taking a look at the file that causes this problem (keoni-Freetime-ShareInterests.package) in SimPE and it shows the image files and doesn't look like there is a problem or flaw. I'm also surprised nobody caught this problem online since this mod is fairly popular.

Does anyone have an idea about what could be causing this? I know it's just a harmless visual glitch but I want to see if there is anyway to fix it since I really like this mod!

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 1:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by uglybuffys
Hi! I've came across a UI glitch while using a mod and I want to see if there's anyway to fix it or understand what's causing it.

I've been using Keoni-chan's "Talk to Me", a conversation icon replacement mod for a while. The mod can be found here. After a while I noticed that it's causing a UI glitch when I hover over the hobby enthusiasm panel. It's a black box and line next to all the hobby images. I'll attach a picture of what it looks like.

Without the mod this glitch isn't present. I tried removing ALL my mods and only have this mod in and the visual glitch is still present. So it's not interacting or conflicting with any of my mods and the problem is caused by the mod itself. I'm sure I don't have a mod that adjusts the same sources, anyways. I even tried adding Clean UI to my game to see if it's a Sims UI issue. I tried taking a look at the file that causes this problem (keoni-Freetime-ShareInterests.package) in SimPE and it shows the image files and doesn't look like there is a problem or flaw. I'm also surprised nobody caught this problem online since this mod is fairly popular.

Does anyone have an idea about what could be causing this? I know it's just a harmless visual glitch but I want to see if there is anyway to fix it since I really like this mod!

I was about to ask you if you had any other defaults in, but you said that you tested with only this mod in and that the problem still persisted. I cant think of anything that would cause this sadly. It could be a problem with your graphics. Is it only the cuisine icons? In the meantime, you'll need to stay with it. It isn't harmful, just annoying.

Cats are the cutest creatures. And the most stubborn.
Inventor
#3 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 1:18 PM
You need to resize the images in TalkAboutHobby to 280 * 55 px. They are too small. They don't seem to impact the UI headlines overhead effect, for which the TXTR are used, and can therefore be resized by increasing the canvas around it. Bug the author to not use DXT compression and blur the mipmaps so much to make the tomato and berries more juicy.
Screenshots
Instructor
#4 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 1:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
You need to resize the images in TalkAboutHobby to 280 * 55 px. They are too small. They don't seem to impact the UI headlines overhead effect, for which the TXTR are used, and can therefore be resized by increasing the canvas around it. Bug the author to not use DXT compression and blur the mipmaps so much to make the tomato and berries more juicy.

It's weird though, as no one had the same problem. Wouldnt there be some comments about it at least?

Inventor
#5 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 1:30 PM
Maybe they didn't look on the hobby panel or didn't install the FreeTime pack because they thought it was not for them. The images have to be the right size.
Instructor
#6 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 1:46 PM
Maybe they didn't look on the hobby panel or didn't install the FreeTime pack because they thought it was not for them. The images have to be the right size.

I'd say so. Someone needs to notify the creator.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FuryCat
It's weird though, as no one had the same problem. Wouldnt there be some comments about it at least?

I've seen uploads that have been up for years before someone bothered to mention that there was a problem lol.
Instructor
#8 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I've seen uploads that have been up for years before someone bothered to mention that there was a problem lol.

Yup, you're right. I feel like more people should notify a creator that their upload has a problem, I don't know why people don't already do.

Inventor
#9 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 6:50 PM
If it is only a cosmetic glitch, maybe some people would not be concerned about it enough. If they have to register an account on a forum with e-mail/captcha, that requires some motivation. It is also possible that other gameeditions than 13 treat the missing pixels differently and the glitch does not appear.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 9:15 PM

OMG! Thank you so much! This has been bugging me and I was able to fix all of them thanks to you! You're brilliant. Love your mods btw LOL!

As a note: interestingly the images that cause the UI problem are in "ShareInterests" file instead of "TalkAboutHobby" even though mod description makes it sound like it's the other way around. I simply replaced all the ShareInterests images to the resolution you suggested and it worked. I even tested them to see if there would be errors in speech bubbles but it's all good!

For anyone that would want to fix this problem for any reason here's simply what I did:

1.Open "Freetime-ShareInterests" package file on SimPe.
2.Extract all the images in a folder.
3.Resize all the images to 280x55. You can do it online for free.
4.Replace all the corresponding images with the new resized versions and save.
Instructor
#11 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 9:18 PM
OMG! Thank you so much! This has been bugging me and I was able to fix all of them thanks to you! You're brilliant. Love your mods btw LOL!

As a note: interestingly the images that cause the UI problem are in "ShareInterests" file instead of "TalkAboutHobby" even though mod description makes it sound like it's the other way around. I simply replaced all the ShareInterests images to the resolution you suggested and it worked. I even tested them to see if there would be errors in speech bubbles but it's all good!

For anyone that would want to fix this problem for any reason here's simply what I did:

1.Open "Freetime-ShareInterests" package file on SimPe.
2.Extract all the images in a folder.
3.Resize all the images to 280x55. You can do it online for free.
4.Replace all the corresponding images with the new resized versions and save.

That's what I noticed about the ShareInterests file. Aren't hobby icons and interest icons different?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FuryCat
I was about to ask you if you had any other defaults in, but you said that you tested with only this mod in and that the problem still persisted. I cant think of anything that would cause this sadly. It could be a problem with your graphics. Is it only the cuisine icons? In the meantime, you'll need to stay with it. It isn't harmful, just annoying.

I wanted to make sure that the problem wasn't me before posting here but as jonasn shared it looks like the mod itself might have this tiny visual problem that can be fixed. It's also surprising to me that nobody noticed this since you would run to look at icons after downloading a icon replacement mod LOL!

Thank you for your help.
Instructor
#13 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 9:21 PM
I wanted to make sure that the problem wasn't me before posting here but as jonasn shared it looks like the mod itself might have this tiny visual problem that can be fixed. It's also surprising to me that nobody noticed this since you would run to look at icons after downloading a icon replacement mod LOL!

Thank you for your help.

No problem!
Congrats on solving it.

Inventor
#14 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 9:48 PM
Yes, my bad I got confused with the name of the package. The interests are what you see when you mouse over the panel (also on the interests page that is analogous to hobby). They are in PNG/Targa format. The overhead icons are in TXTR/LIFO format, and can have more flexible dimensions.

If you directly "resize," the images will lose quality. But they will remain sharp if you add a blank border up to the correct dimensions. You just need to find a graphics program that handles alpha transparency.