Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 1:17 AM
Leg does 360 when going in air problem
Hello. I'm making an animation that lifts the person in the air. Like if you're on the moon and jump. Other animations have worked fine for me. But it seems when I lift the sim in the air there's a problem. Here is a look at it. I think it might be somthing i'll have to fix in simpe.

360 Leg issue

Tears rain, everytime your mouth opens with pain.
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 1:40 AM
Take a look at "When my object is turning in a circle, it suddenly spins around in the opposite direction for no reason!" in this post:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=239168
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 7:09 AM
@ Echo How Would I go about this. I was gonna try to lower the rotation, but I don't know if it would be forward or backward. It doesn't show me in milkshape. Also, would I be able to possible change the degree in milkshape and still have it come out as planned?

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 3:25 AM
Just make sure it keeps going in the direction it starts. So if the keyframes are at:
then that 170 should be -190.

But if it goes:
then that -170 should be 190.

Unfortunately, the way the milkshape plugin works, it's not possible to have it come out the way you intend, no.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Just make sure it keeps going in the direction it starts. So if the keyframes are at:

But if it goes:

Unfortunately, the way the milkshape plugin works, it's not possible to have it come out the way you intend, no.

Thanks for the help, but it seems it's not working for me. I guess you can't start an animation on the ground and have it go in the air without an issue. So what I'm doing is starting it a bit off of the ground. I'll see how it goes.

Field Researcher
#6 Old 30th May 2011 at 9:53 PM
I've run into this type situation myself on an animation. I do not rotate the body over 180 degrees, and yet the legs spin up around the body forward and aft and the Sim doesn't finish the rest of the animation.

Have you found an answer to it Lonelyeco? If so I would love to know what you did. Strange how the legs spin around like they do instead of the body rotating around.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 6:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grykon
I've run into this type situation myself on an animation. I do not rotate the body over 180 degrees, and yet the legs spin up around the body forward and aft and the Sim doesn't finish the rest of the animation.

Have you found an answer to it Lonelyeco? If so I would love to know what you did. Strange how the legs spin around like they do instead of the body rotating around.

No, I still have found no solution, but I am still looking around because the dance moves I animate require that 180 movement. Also, most of the time this happens when I have an animation that has a jump. I don't even have to move the legs over 180.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo

But if it goes:

Hey, I believe I found what you were talking about. But I'm not sure hot I should go about this. It doesn't look like your example. I'm gonna mess with it a bit to see what happens, but aldo show you a pic and see what you think.
Screenshots

Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#9 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 12:21 AM
Lonelyco, yes, you're on the right track. I don't know if you've already found how to go about this, but in case you haven't:

First, select the joint you want in the drop-down list. Then, if you look to the right of the list in your screenshot, you'll find a table with fields for Time Code, Name, Parameter 1 and two Unknowns. Click on the x, y or z line for the keyframe you're interested in, and look at the values in the Parameter fields. The second value is the rotation, and that's what you'll need to change if it doesn't match the others for that axis - like the x in your second keyframe, that has a negative value whereas the x's in the other keyframes have a positive one (which would make the leg spin). That's what Echo is talking about.

Hope this helps!
Instructor
#10 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 2:18 PM
i believe im having the same problem here, but im not really understanding the steps to fix it. i was wondering if someone could help me
This video shows what was going on at first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiwFUo-VHI

in the sims 2 the animation isn't playing the way it does in milkshape. the legs aren't moving right.

i found this tutorial that's supposed to show how to fix the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXaIuBgE0lk
but it didn't really fix it...
here's a video of what it's doing now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushjtb-0BYg

is there another way to fix this?
Please help.
Instructor
#11 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 6:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prime
i believe im having the same problem here, but im not really understanding the steps to fix it. i was wondering if someone could help me
This video shows what was going on at first:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMiwFUo-VHI

in the sims 2 the animation isn't playing the way it does in milkshape. the legs aren't moving right.

i found this tutorial that's supposed to show how to fix the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXaIuBgE0lk
but it didn't really fix it...
here's a video of what it's doing now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushjtb-0BYg

is there another way to fix this?
Please help.

sorry to bump this thread, but I'm still having problems with this. here's what I'm seeing in milkshape for the animation for the sim being hit in the first video (before I tried the whole changing the negative parameters to positive thing)
hopefully showing this will get someone to help me figure out how to fix this...

Instructor
#12 Old 14th Apr 2017 at 2:02 PM
i figured out how to fix it...
comment from Nelfeah from YouTube:

You do know that for those you're only allowed to change the X parameter, right? (leave the Y and the Z negatives alone).
For me it works to instead of making the negatives into positive parameters, to add 360 to the x'es that are negative. For example, you have -175,98440 + 360 , that will turn into 184,0156.
Also, make sure when you make animations in milkshape to never rotate the body or body parts further than 180 degrees. It will mess up the animation ingame, since milkshape works differently than simpe.

^that was a reply to my comment (winko567) from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKsya3-hjok
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 24th Aug 2021 at 6:43 PM Last edited by Sechmet-The-Lazy-Cat : 26th Aug 2021 at 3:06 PM.
I recently started converting animations, so of course I had the rotating leg issue. I managed to fix it, both l_thigh and r_thigh joints, but at some frames the whole BODY rotates. I have no idea which joint to edit, they all seem fine to me and don't come anywhere near the 180 angle. Anyone help?

EDIT: So it was the root_rot, which is logical.. I edited both x and z parameters and most of the rotation is gone. But it didn't fix about 2 or 3 frames for some reason. @_@
Screenshots