Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 12:23 AM
Filtering. It worked for me before the update, and now it doesn't. Not sure if that's just me, or a common problem. I don't use it TOO often, I mostly like to sift through everything. But sometimes I do log on in search of a specific item, and it was a helpful tool.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 12:42 PM
Not sure if this is a duplicate as I haven't read through all of the posts but would like to see updates to items for patches, etc. to be moved to the front page or some type of list showing updates to existing.

Clearing the search box after the initial search would be good as well. Sometimes I search a section with no results and then when try to return to the main downloads page, the search parameter is still in the box or when I go to the next section, even when I refresh the page...and sometimes even after I have manually cleared the search box. Granted it's been a while since I used the search option because of that so that may have been addressed...

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Test Subject
#53 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 1:18 AM Last edited by Rocket Scion : 16th Oct 2013 at 1:28 AM.
Really, this is the nicest site for downloading content I have found, but there are a few things that would make it easier.

- The new format is barely usable on dial-up. I use classic mode, but it still seems slower than before. An ideal website would have options to speed things up on dial-up, like smaller pictures, and turning off unusable features.

- When a off-site link is posted, it would be very helpful to post what website the file is hosted by, and how large it is. It is frustrating to follow a trail of links to megaupload, which doesn't work for me, or a huge file that would take 6 hours to download.

- Occasionally I get a Sim 3 file listed with Sims 2 files. This is probably an indexing error, but sometimes its not obvious that the file is for the wrong game.

Some other issues.

- Don't make it like Steam!

- Some websites, even relatively simple ones have serious issues caused by all the social networking sites trying to find it. I don't use the big offenders, and can't use them, but when they try to find my non-existent accounts, it slows things down worse. Please don't link to bunches of social networking sites.

- The Thanks button does work now on slow connections. It did not work well a couple of years ago. It is important that it works well and consistently if you want people to use it. I still have trouble remembering I can use it now. How many people would put up with clicking it, waiting 45-60 seconds for it to tell that it didn't take, and trying at least 5 times to get it to work?
Test Subject
#54 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 4:57 PM
I personally like this site, and I agree with better sorting. One of the best mod sites layout-wise are the Nexus mods, Such as Skyrim. Due to the large amount of mods they have a nice sorting system
Test Subject
#55 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 6:43 PM
In my site profile, I'd like to list what Expansion/Stuff packs I own. If a Download isn't compatible (for example: maybe I don't have Into the Future on Day 1), I don't want the Download to show up in my search results
Site Helper
#56 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 10:20 PM
I can see that option in my profile... Go into Edit Profile, and scroll down to "Additional Information"

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 10:30 PM
Yup, and once you have that done, the default download filtering method is set to "compatible" so you only see things that are actually going to work with your game (as long as the creator has ticked the right boxes, of course).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Helptato
#58 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Volvenom - ButtLaser's been changed back to Buzzler. Occasionally the mods have a bit of fun by changing each other's names to something ridiculous. I can see how that'd be confusing but is never intended as a permanent change (well, except in the case of Whiterider becoming Nysha, but that was an actual real name change, not a joke name like when she was Buttsbuttsbutts for a while).

I swear we are actual grown-ass adults, not a bunch of 12 year olds, but BUTTS ARE FUNNY DAMMIT.

I never got my name changed back- but then I actually like Sparklypotato. I've pretty much got used to a starchy life.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Forum Resident
#59 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 12:39 AM
It would be nice to be able to just see the comments of people who have actually test-played a mod.

There are usually many comments saying things like "This is awesome, Can't wait to try it when I get home", "Does this work with Pets?" or just "Cool mod!".
Would be nice to flag a comment with a "review" tag and view just the reviews. The difference between "Cool mod!" and "I have played this for 2 weeks, cool mod!" is quite significant

Find my Mods: Here at MTS, over at Simlogical
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#60 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 12:44 AM
We do have Thanks and Feedback posts, with the option to view just Feedback posts - but I suppose that would exclude people who've play-tested and found that everything is grand. Are you essentially looking at it from the point of view of highlighting any problems with a mod before you download it?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#61 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 3:06 AM
@Nysha
Sort of. Users could do the quality testing that the queue process has little interest in for obvious (stated) reasons.

People having problems will probably post their comments as feedback posts,

"this broke my game and my mouse no longer works and my dog has fleas because of it"

What about encouraging people to write reviews if they choose to?

I have tested this mod for: 0 sim days
I find this mod: sucks
Problems encountered: yes, my dog has fleas now, mouse does not work
Comment: Do not download this mod if you have a mouse or a dog!!!!111

The commenter would probably not submit this comment in the form of a review but instead post a classical feedback.
When I browse reviews I can read that the user has not used the mod for long, so I ignore it in favor of other reviews.

Reviews could have the "agree|disagree|love|funny" thingy at the bottom and would be listed accordingly. Users could vote via click to enforce good reviews.

Just thinking

Find my Mods: Here at MTS, over at Simlogical
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#62 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 5:24 AM
I think reviews could be good, but not by saying "This mod sucks" as half the time it's their own fault for not reading through the instructions. And even if it does suck, that isn't constructive.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#63 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 10:53 AM Last edited by ranabluu : 19th Oct 2013 at 12:25 PM.
I would say overall there isn't much wrong with the way the downloads work now. A few tweeks would be nice.
1. I think an automatic thank you button would be nice for the creators because sometimes downloaders are just download happy and don't say thank you. I try to say thanks or post a comment to say thanks for sharing or thanks for the hard work. It's nice to know that you are appreciated.
2. I also like how MTS is on all of the files that I download it makes it easy to separate in my files because I download so much.
3. I would like to see something that says I have downloaded this file before, the only way I can tell is if I have clicked on the thank you button (that's usually how I can tell unless I forget to give thanks.) I read earlier in the post that someone said it shows already but I did not see it.
4. I don't think a quick download but would be good unless the creator isn't linking to another creator or a needed mesh from another site.
5. It would be nice if a creator is going to have 20 items to download if there were a default download all and the downloader should be able to sift through or download each item individually but if it's more than five items a download all should be there.
6. Not an issue that can be fixed by MTS staff but it does drive me crazy. When a creator "vanishes" and they have linked a mesh from a now defunct site and a downloader wants to use that creation it can be a pain hunting down the all needed items to use in the game. Maybe a defunct link checker could be conducted for creators that haven't been on the site in the while and a post or another note stating the link is dead or something to that would be nice. (I really hate looking for meshes it's a pain.)
7. Downloads that don't download because the server crashed and can't not be recovered ....ponders

That's all I can think of at the moment it's still early and I have to get back to reality. I just wanted to restate that for the most part downloading at this site is great not much hassle once the user has located the download it really easy a caveman could do it.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up"!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#64 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ranabluu
3. I would like to see something that says I have downloaded this file before, the only way I can tell is if I have clicked on the thank you button (that's usually how I can tell unless I forget to give thanks.) I read earlier in the post that someone said it shows already but I did not see it.

I think someone mentioned it before but I can't find whether it was this thread or elsewhere so I'll just respond. If you go in the upper right hand corner, you have a button called My Links. In the drop down menu from that, you should select My Downloads. It will give you a table of all the downloads you have ever downloaded, along with when you downloaded, when it was last modified, and if you had thanked it, along with some other things. As far as I know though, there is no way to know if you downloaded something directly from the upload page itself.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#65 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ranabluu

When you've downloaded something, the download button on the first page of the download should change into a check mark, at least that's what happens for me Even when I haven't thanked the download, when I go to the page it shows the check mark when it has been downloaded. I've added a screenshot in the spoiler

/me runs of to thank mustluvcatz now... sorry!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#66 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 6:18 PM
Woah, I never noticed that. :o

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#67 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 7:33 PM
It's only on Bootstrap though - not the classic themes.

Also, Klaartje, thanks for posting these and helping out with the questions! You deserve a heap of kruidnoten for that.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#68 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 7:44 PM
Is it kruidnoten season again? I'mma have to buy some next weekend, if so.

(Yaaaay look at me with my admin hat which lets me go randomly off-topic and no-one can hit me for it muahahahahaha)

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 7:50 PM
It -is-, Nysha. I have half a bag of dark chocolate dipped ones sitting on my desk right now. :D

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#70 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 7:55 PM
I think you deserve them right now, HP. Enjoy (I know what they are cos I googled it)

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#71 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Also, Klaartje, thanks for posting these and helping out with the questions! You deserve a heap of kruidnoten for that.

Thanks Delphy, happy to help especially now that you are embracing the code, as they said in the other thread
Have managed to ignore the kruidnoten so far, think I won't be succesful next time I go grocery shopping though!
Inventor
#72 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
I think someone mentioned it before but I can't find whether it was this thread or elsewhere so I'll just respond. If you go in the upper right hand corner, you have a button called My Links. In the drop down menu from that, you should select My Downloads. It will give you a table of all the downloads you have ever downloaded, along with when you downloaded, when it was last modified, and if you had thanked it, along with some other things. As far as I know though, there is no way to know if you downloaded something directly from the upload page itself.

Thank you so much. I never noticed it. I also like the old format so maybe that's why I didn't pay attention to it. Thanks again.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up"!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 18th Oct 2013 at 9:11 PM
I use this site and TSR for my downloads and something I'd like to see would be by typing in the id number for example 538557 and the item would be displayed. TSR has that feature and imho it might be good here....
Site Helper
#74 Old 19th Oct 2013 at 3:25 AM
I wonder how many people here know the ID numbers that they might want to search for? It seems easier to search by name.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#75 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 2:58 AM
Love the site! Reading this thread, I have actually learned more about the site features than I knew before, so thanks!
The only problem I have come across is when I download certain things, like (Sims 2) hair for instance. A lot of times when I follow the link to the mesh, it is a broken link (Not necessarily a broken link to the page from MTS, but a broken link to the mesh from the original site, if that makes sense?) or the site is not there any more. And most sites require you to register with them before you can download. Personally I don't like registering at a bunch of sites, especially when I may only want one item/mesh from them.
I know that isn't a problem with MTS tho. I guess I just wish that the meshes could be included in the download (if the mesh is a free mesh).
Maybe creators could ask permission to include meshes? That would be my only suggestion.
Page 3 of 6