Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2017 at 7:35 PM
Default Pioneers
This is a new experimental hood, called Newland. I rolled a shipload of pioneers settling an empty new land. They had to buy everything they took with them before travelling. Once they arrive, they are dependant on what they can grow, make or forage. There is just one community lot at the moment, Lone Lake, where they can fish, get water, chop trees etc. I rolled for number of households, 1-6 Sims in a household. I also rolled for age and gender, so I wouldn't end up with a set of young couples, like I normally do. In fact, I didn't get a single young couple.

Lone Lake

My first family is the Asquiths. I set the seasons so they would start on the last day of winter - giving them three seasons to get the house built.

As you might expect, the Asquiths had a very difficult first season with two toddlers to look after, and they didn't get far with building a cabin. However, they got in their first harvest on the last day of spring, and the twins Bobby and Betty aged up to child, so summer should be easier. The older boy is called Tom.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 16th May 2017 at 2:44 AM
Beautiful hood and family! I love the lake :lovestruc: Do you think they will be difficult to play?

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th May 2017 at 2:51 AM
Interesting, a twist on prosperity and castaway. I've played castaway/grass root start before, but not an historical one and not one with toddlers off the bat.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2017 at 6:58 PM
OOh, its working again. I can post now.

Thanks for the comment on the lake, Emperor Crat. These pictures show how bad I am at taking storytelling pictures. Grandpa Albert got struck by lightening while leaving the privy, and I did't even think to take a pic until he had cleaned himself up!

I will post something about the other families over the weekend.
Instructor
#5 Old 18th May 2017 at 10:24 PM
That's hilarious ! Grandpa must be quite lucky. Glad it's working again, and I can't wait to hear about your family!

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th May 2017 at 12:56 PM
My second household are the Baxter family - blacksmith Jacob, his wife beekeeper Nettie and their teenage daughter Jenny.

There is a reason why, in an age of big families and no contraceptives, they have only one child so far. "Jacob and Nettie were childhood sweethearts, despite the fact that he was the son of a blacksmith and she was a rural dean's daughter. When they were seventeen, Jacob plucked up his courage and asked Nettie's father for her hand. He was practically horsewhipped from the house. He was told forcibly that under no circumstances would Nettie be permitted to disgrace herself by marrying a common working man, she would obey her father and marry a suitable man of her own class. Dismayed, Jacob joined the army and left the neighbourhood.

When he returned ten years later, he had been moderately successful in his army career and had won some prize money. To his surprise, Nettie was not only still unmarried, but was practically a prisoner in her own home, where she was treated more like a servant than a daughter. He soon learned that the neighbourhood gossip was Nettie had secretly had a child, which had been smuggled out of the house by her parents and hushed up.

The adult Jacob wasted no time in meeting with Nettie and finding out the truth, she had been pregnant when he left, though neither of them had realised it at the time. He asked her to marry him, she agreed and they eloped. After marrying, they tracked down their daughter at the orphanage where she had been left and the family was reunited.

Jacob and Nettie realised there was no chance of being accepted in the community they came from, since everyone knew the shocking truth about their past and their daughter's illegitimacy, so Jacob used his prize money to purchase a parcel of land and passage for the three of them to the New Country, where they could start again."

As they had a big, strong man and no toddlers, the Baxters managed to build themselves a cabin before the end of the first season, as well as planting crops. Nettie has collected several wild beehives, however since 'Providence' forgot to equip them with a beehive before they set out, she will have to wait until she can buy a skep from the basket weaving family before she can start her business. Next season might not be the best time for this though, as Nettie is now pregnant.

The Baxters' cabin. Sorry for the dark image, but it is dark.

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 20th May 2017 at 4:45 PM
I really like your story line and your pictures are excellent.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Scholar
#8 Old 20th May 2017 at 4:50 PM
Your backstories are so unique! I love them!!
I'm sure this is gonna be an awesome hood.

Btw how many hoseholds are you gonna create?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th May 2017 at 5:50 PM
Thank you, Amura and lordtyger9.

I rolled a random 3-6 families for the first shipload and got 4. After a year (4 seasons) I will roll again for a second shipload, so will have 7-10 in total. I am using a realistic ageing 2 days = 1 year mod, so only 10 years will have passed for my first pioneers.
Instructor
#10 Old 21st May 2017 at 5:35 AM
What an intriguing backstory! I love how the family has a great history together, and how well written it was. I sure hope they stay together though! Thank for another wonderful update

Check it out ;)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st May 2017 at 12:06 PM
Default Family 3 - The Carroways
My third family rolled a similar composition to the first - two elders and the rest the younger generation. This time there are THREE toddlers! The teenage girl is Caroline ( known as Caro) and the triplets are Constance, Clarissa and Edward.

"Ephraim and Ezekiel never married, they left that to their brother Esau. Instead, they remained at home, working for their father in the basket weaving workshop and taking it over when he died. When their mother died they gave up the cottage - too expensive- and instead made a snug little home for themselves in the attic over the workshop.

They heard from Esau from time to time. Esau married - good. Esau had a son, little Esau - fine. Little Esau also married - also fine, but none of our business. Big Esau died - okay, that happens. Then came the devastating news. Little Esau and his wife died suddenly, leaving their four children orphaned and homeless

Four children! And three of them girls!

Ephraim suggested putting the children in an orphanage, but Ezekiel was dead against this. Carroways look after Carroways, that is the way it had always been and always would be. It would be impossible to fit four more people in the bachelor apartment over the workshop though, so the brothers were flummoxed to know what to do next.
Then they got the news that Young Esau had died penniless, because he had spent his life savings on buying a parcel of land and passage for six to the New Land!

Land, eh? The brothers had often debated buying some land. They were tired of paying for the withys and rushes they used in their trade, and fancied growing them themselves. They could also grow much of their own food if they had some land, which would be another saving. However, they had never found a piece of land available at the right price.

And so, two old bachelors and a pack of orphans found themselves getting to know each other on board ship. "

As you can imagine, the Carroways first season was basically a nightmare of constant toddler care. The tag team of two old geezers and one teenage girl has been battling sleep deprivation, potty training and trying to keep on top of the bottle litter. Forget building a cabin or digging a well. let alone basket weaving.

They did manage to get a crop in though. Caroline Carroway attended to that early one morning when she was the only one awake.

As soon as those triplets are old enough to do chores, they won't know what hit them! Meanwhile, here are Clarissa and Edward huggling among the fireflies.

Screenshots
Instructor
#12 Old 21st May 2017 at 4:49 PM
Oh boy! THREE toddlers? I can barely handle one The toddlers are adorable though, and I feel sorry for the brothers. Great story, and I hope to hear more!

Check it out ;)
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 21st May 2017 at 7:33 PM
Oh yeah Three Todlers can be a handful and your Family is not able to hire a Nanny either, acckk. Put them to work as soon as they age up though.

I like how your story is progressing.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:09 AM Last edited by Aysarth : 24th May 2017 at 6:40 PM.
Default Final Family from ship 1 - The Darcys
After two toddlers, then three toddlers, playing a family with just the one was a breeze!

The Darcys are a junior branch of an old, aristocratic family. William Darcy had a decent inheritance of his own, but funds have dwindled over the years. It is so expensive these days, keeping up the appearance of a gentleman!

Son Lukas suggested that rather than dwindle into genteel poverty, the family should take a gamble on relocating to the New Land, where fortunes could be made by enterprising individuals. So, with that sunny optimism that informed so many horse races and poker games in the past, the family has sold up in the Old Country and moved lock, stock and barrel to the new. They have also bought a potters wheel. None of them know how to use it, but it looks like fun!

In fact, the Darcys had a very successful first season. William and Lukas worked hard, and they got a cabin built. William also managed to strike water, so they are the first family to have their own well on their property. It is a little too close to the privy to be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers. The twins, Charles and Lydia, helped where they could, and little Henry was potty trained, and learned a nursery rhyme!

In adddition to playing the Darcys, I have added a new wilderness community lot, Berry Moor (you see my talent with place names).

Next: on to summer with the pioneer families, and they open their home businesses.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#15 Old 26th May 2017 at 5:40 AM
I think your pioneer families are great. Such wonderful story lines!
Curious, did you make your own town with the dirt roads?
How do you deal with (or get rid of) the modern items that come with the game? (cars, fire department, townies with modern clothing, etc.)
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 27th May 2017 at 9:23 PM
I am glad that The Darcys are doing well and that they had a very successful first season. How do your Sims strike water in your game? I do like Businesses in the Sims, including Home based ones, should be fun I think. I am looking forward to summer in your game. I do love reading about your Sims and seeing what they are doing.

Forum Resident
#17 Old 29th May 2017 at 11:10 PM
Came back to look through the pics on this thread again. It cracks me up to see grandpa and the little tyke singing nursery rhymes by the outhouse!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 29th May 2017 at 11:53 PM
I like this idea for a hood. You have a lot of toddlers to start off with, especially for those poor elderly sims! I hope they can get their cabins built before winter.

Call me Hannah
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th Jun 2017 at 3:06 PM Last edited by Aysarth : 5th Jun 2017 at 3:21 PM.
Thank you for your comments.

SIMelissa, I use Sunni9676's dirt road replacement http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=400966 and Hexameter's No NH Traffic http://www.modthesims.info/d/272655

I have currently got townies banned, using visitor controller. However, when the shop is open I will unban them, then use Simblender and the hacked coat hook to change them into the correct costume.
Forum Resident
#20 Old 7th Jun 2017 at 5:50 PM
Thanks for the info, Aysarth.
One day I hope to have my own Pioneer town.
My current hood started with one shipwrecked guy who homesteaded his property and became rich on his farming. But it always seemed odd that my Sim lived on a paved road.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 8:26 AM
Aysarth you could use Christianlov's SimBoutique ClothingRack avaiable on MTS to summon each of your Townies and change their clothes if you wanted to do so. I did that with the Vacation Locals for the Far East, changed them all to Asian Clothes, did the same with Mtn Locals and the Island Locals as well. Changed some of the Townies and Downtownie too, just because I wanted to do it. Lol.

Forum Resident
#22 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:12 AM
So much too download
I am always interested but all the cc would drivemt game crazy

I build small houses *^*
Forum Resident
#23 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OnayaW
So much too download
I am always interested but all the cc would drivemt game crazy

My downloads folder was bursting to the point where it wasn't fun to play in a Sim snowstorm. So, I've pared things down quite a bit. My next project will be a second downloads folder with only the stuff needed for pioneer style neighborhood. When I get ready to play period stuff, I'll have to swap out the downloads folders. It'll be a pain, but I think it will be worth it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 1:59 PM
Default Summer - Asquith and Baxter
After twins Bobby and Betty aged to child, the Asquiths had quite an easy summer. Their first harvest was great - in quantity if not in quality. They also had caught a lot of fish, so when news came at Midsummer of a ship at anchor in the bay, they had surplus food they could sell.

They opened a home business stocked with fresh fish and tomatoes, plus some logs that Grandpa Albert had chopped, but didn't need to build the cabin. The logs didn't sell, not even to the Carroways who really need them, but the sailors quickly bought all the fresh food. Not surprising I suppose, as they must have been existing on ship's rations for weeks!

The Carroways made $600 in the shop, which was very good. However, they also managed to go down to business level -1, which I can only think is due to Jacob Baxter being on the lot. He and Grandpa Albert have managed to become enemies when I wasn't looking!

Grandpa Albert also struck water, so the Asquiths become the second family to have their own well.

Here are Bobby and Betty eating breakfast.

The Baxters had more incident in their summer. I don't know why, but Jacob is enemies with one of the Carroway brothers as well as Albert Asquith. People will start to come by to kick his can over soon!

Perhaps because of this, the Baxters' midsummer shop sale did not attract much business, with Jacob getting negative reactions to most attempts at sales. He did however, manage to sell a bag of nails (horseshoes) to Hannah Asquith, who needs them. The Asquiths are having to sleep in shifts since the twins aged up and desperately need another bed. I have decided that 1 treetrunk + 1 bag of nails + a sim with 5 or more mechanical skill points = a basic piece of wooden furniture like a bedframe, a table or 2 chairs.

Jenny Baxter is very outgoing, and was lonely for the early part of the summer. Then she met and befriended a wild cat that walked across the lot. I was going to let her keep it, but as soon as the option to adopt came up, it walked off the lot and wasn't seen again. At least Jenny got her social bar filled.

Nettie had an uneventful pregnancy, and gave birth (in public of course) to a little son they named Jake after his father. The first Sim born in the Newland!

The Baxters still haven't managed to dig a well, so they still have to visit Lone Lake regularly to fetch water. On the last trip Jenny met Caro Carroway for the first time and realised she wasn't the only teen in town. She doesn't look too impressed!
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 9th Jun 2017 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aysarth
After twins Bobby and Betty aged to child, the Asquiths had quite an easy summer. Their first harvest was great - in quantity if not in quality. They also had caught a lot of fish, so when news came at Midsummer of a ship at anchor in the bay, they had surplus food they could sell.

They opened a home business stocked with fresh fish and tomatoes, plus some logs that Grandpa Albert had chopped, but didn't need to build the cabin. The logs didn't sell, not even to the Carroways who really need them, but the sailors quickly bought all the fresh food. Not surprising I suppose, as they must have been existing on ship's rations for weeks!

The Carroways made $600 in the shop, which was very good. However, they also managed to go down to business level -1, which I can only think is due to Jacob Baxter being on the lot. He and Grandpa Albert have managed to become enemies when I wasn't looking!

Grandpa Albert also struck water, so the Asquiths become the second family to have their own well.

Here are Bobby and Betty eating breakfast.

The Baxters had more incident in their summer. I don't know why, but Jacob is enemies with one of the Carroway brothers as well as Albert Asquith. People will start to come by to kick his can over soon!

Perhaps because of this, the Baxters' midsummer shop sale did not attract much business, with Jacob getting negative reactions to most attempts at sales. He did however, manage to sell a bag of nails (horseshoes) to Hannah Asquith, who needs them. The Asquiths are having to sleep in shifts since the twins aged up and desperately need another bed. I have decided that 1 treetrunk + 1 bag of nails + a sim with 5 or more mechanical skill points = a basic piece of wooden furniture like a bedframe, a table or 2 chairs.

Jenny Baxter is very outgoing, and was lonely for the early part of the summer. Then she met and befriended a wild cat that walked across the lot. I was going to let her keep it, but as soon as the option to adopt came up, it walked off the lot and wasn't seen again. At least Jenny got her social bar filled.

Nettie had an uneventful pregnancy, and gave birth (in public of course) to a little son they named Jake after his father. The first Sim born in the Newland!

The Baxters still haven't managed to dig a well, so they still have to visit Lone Lake regularly to fetch water. On the last trip Jenny met Caro Carroway for the first time and realised she wasn't the only teen in town. She doesn't look too impressed!

Business levels do go down sometimes.

I enjoyed reading about the the Asquiths, Carroways and the Baxsters. Looks like they are doing fairly well, most of them. How do your Sims dig Wells? Or how is it determined that they have? Maybe that cat will come around again sometime or another, at least I hope so. You had good pictures.

Page 1 of 2