Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#52 Old 23rd May 2017 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Wow, can't say I'm surprised at how.... "entertaining" this thread has become.
It's not going to happen. EA is not a person, it is a corporation. ....

I think the IF I posted is an extremely long shot also, and I think what you say is far more likely to happen. I agree. It is all about corporations and $$$$$$.
Advertisement
Scholar
#53 Old 23rd May 2017 at 7:05 AM
Statics don't bother me ever, I wouldn't care less if there was only 5 people browsing the Sims 4 forums, I enjoy the game I glad the forum is there to be used.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 23rd May 2017 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Statics don't bother me ever, I wouldn't care less if there was only 5 people browsing the Sims 4 forums, I enjoy the game I glad the forum is there to be used.
I enjoy your posts for that reason.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:17 AM

I would, what's the point of having a forum if there's no one on it? I know places where it's entirely reasonable to post something and not get any replies for days - and I don't like it. Here on MTS, at least on the TS3 board that I post on the most, that's the exception rather than the rule.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#56 Old 24th May 2017 at 3:31 AM
Wow, can't say I'm surprised at how.... "entertaining" this thread has become.

It's not going to happen. EA is not a person, it is a corporation. They're not really interested in us, consumers. They're interested in profit. So unfortunately as the previous poster indicated, their stock is at an all time high, so they're not concerned about us Sims players at all. There is a Sims community, but as the stock prices and their sales figure have demonstrated, we're really small compare to their base market which is focused on console gaming in the areas of sports and MMORPG.

The only people who might actually care at all are ... ironically the gurus. Not because of all the PR they spew on their blog, but because they're trying to hold on to their jobs, fighting other departments in EA for funding, etc... I actually have a little more sympathy for them after finding out EA took Sims 4 funding and gave them to other departments. I did not know that before. But it also tells you how EA feels about the Sims community in general. I can see now why Grant was so grumpy and why he would say outright in the 1st few weeks, "If Sims 4 doesn't sell well, there won't be a Sims 5." I think he may have accidentally spilled the truth, EA has little interest in Sims and PC gaming (as their reports have shown, they've shifted much towards console and mobile.) I think Grant wasn't making a threat to the Sims community, I think he was upset at the prospect of losing his job, the whole Sims department.

So while Sims 5 will depend on the funding generated by Sims 4 sales, it is clear at this point... EA may just backstab the whole Sims community again by taking profits from Sims 4 sales to fund their other departments. And as far as I know, they have shown no interest in taking funds from other departments to fund Sims department.

the rumor i heard from a college student looking to get into the gaming industry as an animator was that the sims has no future because of things going on behind the scenes at ea, this post sounds like it backs that rumor up. PC gaming is also losing it's physical presence in stores across the country and emphasis everywhere seems to fall on console or app games. It is sad to discover but I can replay my sims games for as long as i keep them around and have access to them, and that will keep me content

edit: my guess is they will try to stretch out sims 4's lifespan as long as possible and then end the franchise afterwards
Instructor
#57 Old 24th May 2017 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
I don't understand this trend. People can continue watching movies/TV shows even with the popularity of Youtube and Vine, but they can't dedicate an hour or two for a full-blown butt-in-chair gaming experience on the PC?

I don't know whether to blame the gaming companies or the consumers.

I blame social media and smart phones shortening everybody's attention spans, case in point, the community brought back TSO, a game I dearly loved and played for hours on end and it kept me entertained, now I can barely play it without playing something else at the same time, because I find it boring, especially skilling, no matter how much I chat with other players, I just cannot concentrate on it, and it is horrifying.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 24th May 2017 at 4:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
I blame social media and smart phones shortening everybody's attention spans, case in point, the community brought back TSO, a game I dearly loved and played for hours on end and it kept me entertained, now I can barely play it without playing something else at the same time, because I find it boring, especially skilling, no matter how much I chat with other players, I just cannot concentrate on it, and it is horrifying.

We have to have everything quick quick nobody wants to take the time to do anything anymore, and everyone has to have everything on there smart phone so they can keep there nose buried in them all the time.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#60 Old 24th May 2017 at 9:12 AM
Well there's certainly a lot more going on these days. Most of us hear from more friends each day than we would have done when it was harder to contact each other, and especially hard to speak to more than one person at once without physically meeting up. Now life is like one long party. Or, if you throw in the increasing rate of unpleasant world events, one long party with frequent funerals thrown in. Personally I think my own attention span shortened after I discovered one day I had been concentrating on something, that I had missed the news stations flooding with news of London terrorist attacks. I didn't know anything was going on until Peter phoned and announced that he was safe, which he wasn't able to do till a couple of hours after the event due to the phone lines being clogged. I had no idea that while I was concentrating on (what was it? I think I might have been modding the game) that he had missed being blown up on a tube train by about 2 minutes. After that I found that ever since I have to check media frequently. I think it's called hypervigilance (well mine is only to a degree but I think it's part of the same phenomenon spectrum). I wonder how much that sort of thing could be at the root of shortening attention spans in many of us - the need to keep checking some horrendous event isn't unfolding.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#61 Old 24th May 2017 at 10:33 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 24th May 2017 at 11:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by misstrgal
Are you talking about the original TSO or the recent reboot? With the original, there were many players who would set their Sims to skill and then go take a shower or cook a meal in real life. Some would weigh their keyboards down with an object so that their Sim would stay someplace and it was always so sad to see those Sims crying in their failure state. I didn't blame the players. The fun of TSO was the opportunity to create certain types of social situations and watching someone skill was up there with watching paint dry.

I always wondered when I saw those TS4 commercials, "What were they thinking?" Why would they think people who are outgoing, who go to clubs, who care about the latest fads, etc... would want to play a computer game simulating these things when they're doing it in real life? Simmers are counter-cultural. We are the anti-populus. This is why we prefer to create our own society in the sim worlds and we feel more connected to sims than to people in real life.

Am I right?
I agree with this - partiers are not the target audience, but it's always felt like that was the push by the developers since Sims 1. Remember the constant need to socialize, especially to get promotions? Connecting with other Sims seemed to drive the games mechanic. Same with the Sims 2 with the "popularity" aspiration and the set up for fighting between certain Sims, or even the desire to fight. Most Simmers learned to deal with it or learned ways around it, but for most of us, it was never the focus of the play the way it felt like the developers were pushing it.

Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Personally I think my own attention span shortened after I discovered one day I had been concentrating on something, that I had missed the news stations flooding with news of London terrorist attacks. I didn't know anything was going on until Peter phoned and announced that he was safe, which he wasn't able to do till a couple of hours after the event due to the phone lines being clogged. I had no idea that while I was concentrating on (what was it? I think I might have been modding the game) that he had missed being blown up on a tube train by about 2 minutes. After that I found that ever since I have to check media frequently. I think it's called hypervigilance (well mine is only to a degree but I think it's part of the same phenomenon spectrum). I wonder how much that sort of thing could be at the root of shortening attention spans in many of us - the need to keep checking some horrendous event isn't unfolding.
Inge... That's so sad, and you could be right.
Instructor
#62 Old 24th May 2017 at 4:58 PM
paradox just released a new expansion for cities skylines called mass transit. and it is fantastic they even added mods made by fans to the official game. EA need to take some lessons from THESE guys!

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Theorist
#63 Old 24th May 2017 at 6:15 PM
It's times like this that make me glad I avoided the whole smart phone addiction train. I can still happily sit and marathon PC games for 8, 10, 12 hours at a time (with snack and bathroom breaks of course.) I think one time when a new game came out I played for 72 hours before finally going to sleep. That would have been one hell of a livestream xD. Mobile be-damned, we as a community need to work to preserve good old fashioned PC gaming! :D
Scholar
#64 Old 24th May 2017 at 8:30 PM Last edited by aeval99 : 24th May 2017 at 8:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by newlibertysims
I don't understand this trend. People can continue watching movies/TV shows even with the popularity of Youtube and Vine, but they can't dedicate an hour or two for a full-blown butt-in-chair gaming experience on the PC?

I don't know whether to blame the gaming companies or the consumers.

I can only speak for myself, but if I'm going to spend several hours playing a game, I prefer to sit on a nice comfy recliner with my feet up, especially if I worked all day. That wasn't true when I started playing Sims, but I was nearly 20 years younger then.

In the past, consoles were inferior to computer gaming in almost every area. That's not true anymore. They have great visuals (especially if you have a nice big 4k tv), decent processing power, adequate storage AND they are relatively cheap. Plus, when you are finished a game you can trade it in towards the next game you buy. What's not to love? And apps can be played anywhere, on just about anything that can fit into a mid-sized purse. No trying to balance a laptop on your knees while you are riding the train/bus or lugging it around with you all day.

I still play games on my pc but they are mostly ones that are heavily modded or really need a mouse to play, like Sims, Tropico, and Planet Coaster. And I don't play for 8 or 10 hours like I used to in the past. Everything else is on a console or my ipad.

My phone, OTOH can usually be found dead in the bottom of my purse or down the back of the couch.
Instructor
#65 Old 24th May 2017 at 8:33 PM Last edited by Motorcitydude : 25th May 2017 at 10:59 PM.

I didn't start enjoying the game until it was in its 3rd year not long after GT, later on that same year I just had to go buy everything, so I must one of those people they are talking about.

I didn't start enjoying the game until the WickedWhims mod came out.
Test Subject
#66 Old 28th May 2017 at 7:05 AM
The parallels between how Simmers and WoW players seem to have such a love-hate relationship with their favorite game amuses me. x)
Page 3 of 3