Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 6:32 AM Last edited by Geraltthegrey : 6th Sep 2017 at 6:24 AM.
Default Sanders Modern house
This is my first attempt at recreating a modern house following my previous modern apartments. Thus said, my creation is loosely based on the real life Sanders modern house which just inspired me with its simple yet exuberant architectural modern design, i attached the image to the actual house. I kept the base exterior design in the front of the house but instead replaced the sky terrace on the roof with another floor.

The backside of the house and the interior are all my original designs as i could not get the original floor plans of the house and therefore could not recreate the whole interior so i just kinda winged it and did my own thing. I would appreciate any feedback from y'all on what i can improve upon or maybe replace.

Update: I have uploaded the updated floor plans. I took peni and lunatic's advice and removed the middle walls in the living room and instead put in a staircase. Because of the stairs, i had to remodel the first and second floor but the third floor is mostly the same. I have also added a powder room to the living room area as per peni and lunatic's comments and added a smaller dining table to fix the problem of people getting stuck in the corner.

The only other changes i incorporated on the outside was the glass fencing around the backyard outside. Let me know if this is ok or if anything else needs fixing.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 3:12 PM
It does look good, but there's some practical details you should think about. Most obviously - two enormous bathrooms upstairs, and no powder room for guests on the ground floor, even though there's plenty of room for one. Consider the possibilities of smaller upstairs bathrooms creating space for closets; or divided bath/toilet areas.

I'm not very good at design lingo, but it seems to me that the ground floor living area is...off somehow. Lacking a focal point? The couches are just sort of there and nothing defines the space that I can see.

Personal bugaboos: Someone is going to get trapped in the corner in the dining area, you mark my words! And I think I'm a minority on this, but I hate enclosed unused space. It's an ugly blot in the middle of the view when playing with walls half-down, and it should be used for something. It seems to me you could get a similar effect with a stand-alone wall down the middle of the space, maybe with a one-tile perpendicular wall to hang the phone on. Or make it a fireplace and use that for the focal point, if that's what's off with the living area. Or you could just put a powder room there.

I am far from the final word on building, so consider these points, but don't feel bound by them. One of the most useful things that can happen in a critique is for someone to make a remark that's just wrong enough to illuminate the real problem, enabling the creator to see the solution for herself.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 4:08 PM
Personally, I would use that empty space in the middle to put an open modular staircase in, rather than taking exterior wall/window views and blocking with the spiral staircase. Typically that is where stairs are in a house.

In that outcove in the living area, build in bookcases and the tv, using moveobjects. And have a small powder room to the right of the entry.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 4:37 PM
Nice! I like the exterior.

To make it look more like your reference picture, I would put a half wall above that middle floor bay window, on the top floor, with the wood siding. Continue it along above that second floor patio door and it will more resemble your reference house. Will give a nice bit of balance to the lot as well, I think- increase the wood to brick ratio a bit.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 8:53 PM
Very Insightful.The common problem i can concur from you guys is the middle unoccupied space in the living room which i will agree, while aesthetically ok while walls are up, still kinda looks off when the walls are down which is how we usually play our sims. I will probably follow HugeLunatic's advice and add a modular stairway where the walls are now, that does mean i would have to rearrange the second floor but that shouldn't be a problem.

I will also add the powder room downstairs as advised by Peni and Lunatic, i originally thought there wouldn't be enough space for one but i might just add one to the right of the major doorway as Lunatic suggested. I will also take your other advice into consideration.

Hey simsample, i tried the half wall before with the wooden exterior walls but it didn't look right with the top windows and only fitted with the original terrace design.