Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 9:10 AM
Default Stupid cartoon facial expressions
I have to start by admitting that all this animation stuff is pretty much beyond my comprehension, which is why this question might be silly - but I won't know till I ask it...

Are we anywhere near being able to globally modify the Sims' facial expressions so they look more natural - like not getting huge triangular eyes and eyebrows shooting up to heaven when they talk, and same with the corners of the mouth when they do that stupid simpering smirk? I am getting desperate, they make me want to murder them when they gurn at me - I am thinking of making them all wear bags over their heads.
2 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Mar 2007 at 7:28 AM
No replies on this thread? Geez. Well, I'll reiterate his question. The unrealistic facial expressions have always annoyed me. You spend time in Body Shop making the sim's face look right, and then the stupid facial expressions ruin it and make all the sims look the same unless they have a neutral expression.

Is it possible to modify them? Has anyone researched it?
Test Subject
#3 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 3:51 AM
Hey, I completely agree.... I mean their crazy antics and expressions can really be hilarious and alot of fun, but when you want to make more serious and laid back characters, it just doesn't work as well...

For instance, you can change their personality to be either Serious or Playful, or Athletic or Lazy. But even when you make them this way, they still all get the same extremely enthusiastic or exaggerated expressions (and actions too. Shouldn't a serious sim play videogames getting a little frustrated, and lazy sims play it rather neutrally? Everyone gets into it like some hyped little kids!).

This is annoying especially for particularly unique faces that may have kind of angrier eyebrows by default, so that when he does get angry in the game, his brows go down too far, right through his nose, and completely hiding his eyes! But what can be done about it?

I don't know if any modders can possibly correct these things, but what would be great is if Maxis would allow us to control some of these things. Such as, when you build a sim, you make his default face, but also have an expression tester, and you can adjust how his expressions look. You should also be able to select their voice, or even add in a reference clip of your own, in which the game would automatically be able to generate "Simmish" using that voice (dunno if that last idea is possible).

It would be great if these things ever happen. :P
Test Subject
#4 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 12:58 AM
hi, I did not want to open a new thread to this topic. I just wanted to ask, if something changed about this problem? maybe I missed it. Perhaps someone developed a hack or so?

thanks
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 5:00 AM
You could try the "LESS GURNING" mod (found at the very bottom of the page): here
Quote:
The file is called no gurning but in fact it doesn't stop all of it. Meant to reduce some of the stupid exaggerated facial expressions Sims do while talking.

Clashes with "CASnoidleAnimations" by Squinge

I understand why you posted here, but the WCIF forum is the proper place to asking where to find a mod.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
#6 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 9:14 PM
I see..thank you!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Jan 2020 at 2:50 AM
Unfortunately the page link above is no longer valid.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 20th Jan 2020 at 5:17 PM
@jessesue, it's here.
I wish somebody made it compatible with No CAS idles mod...