Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 8:29 PM Last edited by $RaMRoM$ : 9th Apr 2008 at 5:42 PM. Reason: added SimPE link
Default Memories - Changing and removing {tutorial}
This is a Tutorial about Memories
I have converted it to a pdf by
Foxit PDF Creator so pls get it!

Welcome to, Memories changing and removing
This Tutorials is basicly about memories and how to change the names of the memories, or how to remove a memory that you dont want{example: Throw Up} then you can remove that memory.

What we need:
1.SimPE the sims 2 package editor.
2.You!

Part I: Getting Our neighborhood:
1. Open SimPE.

2. Click on the menu Tools-->Neighborhood--> Neighborhood Browser

3. Select your neighborhood then click open {it may take a while tell it loads}

4. In the “Resource Tree” scroll tell you see the Neighborhood memory, then click it in the resource list, then from the Plugin View choose your family.

Part II: Time to get on working!:
1. Select your sim.

3.Choose your memory.

4. Now if you selected something that is related to another sim, then you must have “$Subject” at the end of the name, the subject should be viewed in the Sim area.

5. Now if you would like to change the memory name then change it from the “Name” area, at the right... that will be the icon for the memory.

6. If you would like, you could remove a memory!

7. Now click commit, then Save package, now go check your game!

Thanks for taking the time to read this tutorial
By $RaMRoM$
Thank you all creaters and modders at MTS2!

$RaMRoM$, ©April 2007
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MemoriesChangingRemoving_$RaMRoM$_041807_DOC.zip (1.01 MB, 501 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  MemoriesChangingRemoving_$RaMRoM$_041807_PDF.zip (2.08 MB, 716 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Apr 2007 at 8:33 PM
Pls Move to the correct forum, thank u.
Part-time Hermit
#3 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 2:08 PM
Moving to the tutorial section.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jun 2007 at 2:59 PM
Thank you!
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Mar 2009 at 2:34 AM
Oh no! Night of the Living Thread! (*fights back the undead thread with farm equipment*)

Just a quick question, it is more about this method than necessarily this tutorial. Is there any risk to this? In other words, if I give my beloved Sims a job, then delete the "I've got a Job" memory will that interfere with anything (e.g. job wants)?

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Mar 2009 at 3:09 AM
It depends on the type of memory. For some memories, yes - deleting them will send you game into a downwards spiral from whence it may never return. Remember that the game tweaks its behaviour based on what has happened to a sim in the past, and it can tell what has happened by using those memory files. Be very careful, and only delete memories that are very trivial, or which you know are safe.

In the case of jobs... I don't think you'll lose the job, jobs are stored in their own tokens. As to whether it'll cause anything else to play up, I'm not really sure.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Mar 2009 at 3:42 AM
Thanks. It has been a while since I've done anything that is both in-depth and TS2-related, but I remembered how Sims could gossip and become traumatized over fire.

I was looking at the "happilyunemployed" career as a means to quiet job-obsessed Sims that do not need a job. It is easy to make the game stop giving the "You have the day off" and "The carpool will arrive..." messages, but I wasn't sure if the Sim would continue to spawn job-related wants/fears and thought bubbles if he still had the memory of getting the job. Looks like I should just go test it and see just how badly I can break my game.

Thanks again.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 13th Oct 2009 at 3:53 AM
lol with a little SAFE exploring (never back up my game... but it always works! Yaaay my Sims 2!) I found this out by myself, and I even found out how to change memories that Sims get from using certain objects that create those memories. But what I CAN'T find is how to make default replacements (default changes) to Maxis memories NOT triggered by objects (rather by events), like getting abducted, becoming a vampire, being cured of vamprism, getting married, woohooing, blah blah blah.
But anyways, aside from my almost-related (not tutorial-related), this is a GREAT review for me so I can make sure what I am doing is safe. Thank you, I'm often reading your tutorials, actually!

ENTJ
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 3:01 AM
Umm with this, can you change memories from good to bad (like from red to green) because I made Kaylynn Langerak and Daniel Pleasant marry, but I forgot to change his aspiration from Romance to Family. Now he has a bad memory of his marriage! So does it change from good to bad?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 3:33 AM
Yes, in the 'Name' field for the memory you can change it from a good marriage to a bad marriage. There are several memories that have a good and bad counterpart. If you follow the tutorial and find the memory, you can change it in the drop down box (where it says 'Got Engaged to $Subject' in the last picture).
Test Subject
#11 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 5:17 PM
Hi. I think I might have a problem, or perhaps I missed something. Either way, this is what my SimPE looks like:

Sorry 'bout the text. It's just someting I wrote in Swedish.
Means "No memories!" or something like that.
Alchemist
#12 Old 26th May 2011 at 9:39 AM
I once tried to add many memories (just trivial) to my Sims. Some memories do have both good and bad versions. However, the bad memory only made different text, but didn't make the memory background turn red (Just like the case where Sims in Riverblossom Hill have green memory of dead Sims). Do you have any clue to make the memory red?
Site Helper
#13 Old 26th May 2011 at 5:54 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 26th May 2011 at 7:20 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
I once tried to add many memories (just trivial) to my Sims. Some memories do have both good and bad versions. However, the bad memory only made different text, but didn't make the memory background turn red (Just like the case where Sims in Riverblossom Hill have green memory of dead Sims). Do you have any clue to make the memory red?
Are you talking about red vs green memories inside of the game, or inside of SimPE? If you're looking at SimPE, then try looking inside the game itself.
Alchemist
#14 Old 27th May 2011 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Are you talking about red vs green memories inside of the game, or inside of SimPE? If you're looking at SimPE, then try looking inside the game itself.

No. I made a Sim with memories I arranged from SimPE. However, even if the memory was meant to be bad (e.g. Burglar or see vermin), the memory will appear green in the game. The memory will be red if gained naturally (the Sim actually got burgled).
Site Helper
#15 Old 27th May 2011 at 3:38 PM
Check that your aspiration value in the plugin view is negative, rather than positive. (Don't have my game available right now, or I'd give you the correct field name).

Compare the raw data from the memory that you created and the memory created by the game. There may be something in there which specifies whether the memory is negative or positive.
Site Helper
#16 Old 29th May 2011 at 12:07 AM
Default Red / Green Color State of a Memory
For future reference. I believe that the green / red state is stored in Raw Data 0. A value of 0 sets the color to green. A value of 4 sets the color to red. In my testing of all of the Maxis-made neighborhoods and subhoods and all of the Content_List:Neighborhoods#Populated_Neighborhoodswiki, I have only found one memory for which Raw Data 0 did not have a value of either 0 or 4; I believe that was a corrupt memory.
Alchemist
#17 Old 30th May 2011 at 5:00 AM
Thanks for that. I found out that the premade Sims from Desiderata Valley have memories of getting a job and getting promotion with the memory owner as the subject (e.g. Marcel Jocque had a job in Culinary and the memory shows his thumbnail). But premade Sims from other neighborhoods seem to have the memory of particular career as subject (e.g. Mortimer Goth had a job in Science and the memory shows Science career). Do you know how to fix that?
Site Helper
#18 Old 30th May 2011 at 7:20 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th May 2013 at 2:23 AM. Reason: Document how to find something in your CC.
Default Fixing the Career GUID in a Job Memory
First, you need to find the GUID for the career. If the Sim still has the career, then the career GUID is in the Career tab for the Sim Description. Copy the GUID to the clipboard using <ctrl>C.

Otherwise, you can find it in SimPE by selecting the Tools menu, then PJSE, then Simantics Resource Finder. Check OBJD Name and then type "JobData - " (without the quotes) into the Name field. Click on Search and wait while it finds all of the job data. Look through the list until you've found the career that you want and copy the GUID to the clipboard using <ctrl>C.

Once you have the GUID that you want, edit the memory and select the Raw Data tab. The GUID goes into Raw Data 5 and 6, with the first 4 digits in data 6 and the last 4 digits in data 5. You can paste the GUID from the clipboard using <ctrl>V, then remove the unneeded digits. Commit and save.

[Update:]
You can include your CC in the SimPE Simantics Resource Finder search by going to Extra -> Preferences -> System Folders and ensuring that Savegame points to your save game, then going to Extra -> Preferences -> FileTable and clicking on "Add downloads folder". Your downloads folder will be added under Advanced Settings; make sure that the line "Recursive folder: (SaveGameFolder)Downloads\" is checked.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#19 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 3:40 PM
Thank you very much for all the tips, Mootilda!
Site Helper
#20 Old 24th Sep 2011 at 12:27 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 25th Sep 2011 at 8:05 PM.
Default More Information on the Meaning of Raw Data Items
I've learned more about the Raw Data associated with memories. Please see the Wiki article (at the very end) for details:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...or_Memory_Items

An interesting discovery: you can change how strongly and how long your sims are affected by their memories. There are several important values which work together to achieve this:

Initial Value
Minimum Value
Daily Decay
Current Value

The choice of these values can help to shape your sim's unique personality.

When a memory is generated, the Initial Value is an indication of how strongly a sim will be affected by the memory. A value around 25 is fairly weak, a value around 100 is stronger. Positive numbers mean that the effect is positive. Negative numbers (ie, numbers greater than 0x8000) create a negative reaction. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to ask SimPE to show you the Raw Data in a signed decimal format, so you'll have to do your calculations outside of the Memory Plugin.

The Current Value starts at the Initial Value and is reduced (towards 0) by the Daily Decay every day until the Current Value reaches the Minimum Value. After that, the Current Value remains constant.

Some observations:

The Daily Decay affects how long a sim continues to be strongly affected by a memory. If the Daily Decay is close to the Initial Value, the sim may only be affected for a day or two. If the Daily Decay is small, it may take a long time for the sim to stop being affected by the memory.

A Minimum Value of 0 means that the sim will eventually stop being affected by the memory. If the Minimum Value is large, then the memory will continue to affect the sim forever.
Site Helper
#21 Old 25th Sep 2011 at 8:24 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 2nd Oct 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Add screenshot
Default Changing the Number of Raw Data Items
One of the common problems that I find with edited memories is an invalid number of Raw Data items. All Memories (as opposed to tokens, inventory, etc.) should have a length of either 12 or 13.

If your memory only has 12 items, but requires a Subject Instance, then you can add a new item in SimPE by selecting the memory that you want to change and choosing the Raw Data view. At the bottom of the screen is a field named "Length:" with a value of 12. Change that number to 13 and click on "Set" and a new item with a value of 0 will be correctly added to the list. Then, you can change the item as usual. Be sure to commit when you're done with the memory.

If your memory has 13 items, but requires only 12, then you can remove the last item in SimPE by selecting the memory that you want to change and choosing the Raw Data view. At the bottom of the screen is a field named "Length:" with a value of 13. Change that number to 12 and click on "Set" and the last item in the list will be correctly removed. Be sure to commit when you're done.

There are a number of different kinds of memories and they require different information in the Raw Data fields. SimPE should usually get the number of Raw Data items correct when adding a new memory. The normal memory view (called Properties) has the ability to set the Subject as a Sim or Object with a specific GUID.

However, if you are modifying an existing memory, you should be aware of the correct Raw Data items for the new memory.

Memory about Self:
- Data 5 and 6 should be the Sim ID* of the Memory Owner who's Sim Description instance number is in Data 4. The first half of the GUID goes into Data 6 and the second half goes into Data 5.
- Data 12 should exist and be equal to Data 4.

Memory about another Sim (including pets):
- Data 5 and 6 should be the Sim ID* of the Memory Subject.
- Data 12 should exist and be equal to the Sim Description instance number of the Memory Subject.

Memory about an object, rather than a sim:
- Data 5 and 6 are an object GUID. Which GUID depends on the specific Memory.
- Data 12 should not exist.

* To find the Sim ID, look in the Sim Description record of the appropriate Sim.

To see an initial attempt at categorizing memories, please see reply # 4 in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=456523
Screenshots
Test Subject
#22 Old 2nd Oct 2011 at 10:00 PM
how can i remove my sims in a new lot without losing my items on that house that i stayed in before??
Site Helper
#23 Old 2nd Oct 2011 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lalagirl211
how can i remove my sims in a new lot without losing my items on that house that i stayed in before??
You've posted in the wrong place. This has nothing to do with changing memories. You'll need Inge Jones stay things shrub. Post in the WCIF forum to ask where it is. If you don't know how to find the WCIF forum, click on the word "WCIF".
Mad Poster
#24 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 5:29 PM
I'm trying to give Tommy Ottomas a memory of his girlfriend Spring Thyme dying. He wasn't on the lot when she died and there's no trace of the event there when I look in SimPE, not even as gossip, though he did have a Want to resurrect her when I played his household after she died. It hasn't affected his mood, though, and given that she was his first girlfriend and they were about to start college together it doesn't make sense to have him not affected by it.

I typed her name into the subject line, but this appears in the memories as "Unknown died." I'm afraid I don't understand anything anyone's said about the raw data. I found out by looking in the memories of her family that Spring's ID is 0xDB2684A2, and I've copied down all the information for each field of the raw data, but it's not clear to me which lines need to be modified to create an appropriate memory for a sim who wasn't present and should be strongly affected, but not as strongly as her family was.

Her family members also have two memories of the event - a normal one, and an invisible one. Which just confuses me more. Is the invisible one the one that turns into gossip and spreads around the neighborhood as the people who witnessed the death get out and about?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#25 Old 10th Oct 2011 at 7:18 PM
I suspect that your problem is that SimPE didn't recognize the sim's name because of the way that you entered it. If you type the name in the Subject... Sim field, (as far as I can tell) SimPE doesn't do anything with that name. You have to select the name from the drop-down box for SimPE to recognize it. Typing the name into the Subject... Sim field will tell SimPE which name to display in the drop-down box, but will not actually select the appropriate sim.

For example, if you are looking for a sim named Spring Thyme, you could type Spr, then click on the down arrow beside the name. Sims with names starting with "Spr" will be displayed at the current location in the drop-down box. Find Spring Thyme in the drop-down and then click on her name in the drop-down box, to add it to the Subject... Sim field. If you've done it correctly, the full name will appear in the Subject... Sim field and the drop-down area will disappear.

Make sure to commit the memory after selecting the appropriate Owner and Subject and everything should be OK. No need to muck about with the Raw Data.

I'm not sure why sims sometimes get both a visible and invisible memory of the same event.

If you need pictures, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Page 1 of 2