Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 7:04 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 10th Feb 2014 at 5:42 PM.
Default Deadbeat Parents Challenge
I love playing challenges so I'd thought I'd take a stab at creating one. I actually stumbled across the idea for this challenge when my teen's parents died in a fire (and honestly, it was an accident!).

This challenge was developed with all expansion packs in mind but Apt Life (which I don't have yet). If you don't have any of the expansion packs (such as University), you can still play, just alter the goals as you see fit. I also tried to keep it simple so there is no scoring.

As with some other challenges, there should be no use of cheats or hacks (dreamcatchers, etc.) and for this challenge, no use of reward objects or the magic lamp.

Challenge Details:

Parenthood can be a rewarding for some while others just can’t handle the daily pressures. Your newly created Sim family has just moved into the neighborhood. There is a Mom, Dad and 3 children (a teenager, child and toddler and you’ve just decided to adopt a baby!). However, soon after moving into your new house, Mom and Dad decide parenthood is not for them. Before you know it, they jump into the nearest taxi, never to return. The oldest is now responsible for his or her younger siblings and a brand new baby on the way. Your goal, is to raise all 4 children on what little means they have been left with while meeting the challenge goals.

To start:
1. Create a family that consists of a Mom, Dad, teenager, child and toddler. They can have any personality and any aspiration…anything you want.

2. Move your family into any lot or pre-made home. Once they have a place to live, they cannot move so chose carefully. If you move into an empty lot, complete the remaining steps before you start to build.

3. Buy a phone and adopt a baby (you must have 3,000 in funds to qualify for an adoption and you must adopt baby).

4. Next, have the parents use the newspaper to find a place of their own (they should remain in the inventory bin and have no further contact with the kids). Don't worry about the baby you've just adopted, while the children are at school, the social worker will drop off the baby if a nanny is home.

5. Once the parents move out, you are ready to start.

6. Your teenagers can hold a job if their grades are good enough but be creative in how you earn money for your family, a job may or may not be the best route for extra simoleans.

7. You may hire a nanny but only when the oldest is away at school or if they work out of the house. Sorry, no nannies for dates, shopping or social outings, the family comes first.

8. You may hire other NPC services (gardener, maid, etc.) if you can afford them.

9. You must accept all chance cards. This is a part of growing up and receiving consequences for your decisions.

10. Once the kids get old enough, the family can leave the lot for shopping, vacations, etc.

Challenge Goals:

While many families have different definitions for success, for this challenge, success means that by the time the oldest goes off to college, your family:

- Has not lost the children to the social worker
- Should not have had any visits by the Social Bunny
- Should not have had any visits by the RepoMan
- All children have maintained decent grades (at least C or better, an occasional D is ok, never an F)
- Will be accepted into private school
- Will be able to send the oldest child to school who has earned at least 1 scholarship

I also have a website with the details of this challenge and hopefully more to come - http://www.sims2simchallenges.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 10:42 AM
This looks fun! I'd be willing to try it.

Are we allowed to use CC for our sims?
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
Are we allowed to use CC for our sims?

I don't use CC because it messes up my computer but use at your discretion.

I would say yes as long as it doesn't give the family an advantage (cheap decor that increases the environment dramatically) or other objects that have high rates (comfort, hunger) that you can buy for real cheap, etc.

Hope that helps!
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 6:17 PM
this seens fun - are we allowed to kill of parents rather than move them out - people in sim bin still visit lots and come home from work as friends. ? thanks

-Charley x

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2008 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simcharley1990
this seens fun - are we allowed to kill of parents rather than move them out - people in sim bin still visit lots and come home from work as friends. ? thanks

-Charley x

Do they? Wow, after playing since TS2 came out I never noticed that! Shows how observant I am! LOL

I'd rather kill the parents too I think. But I guess the down side to that is it might screw the kids up a bit if it's one of their fears.
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 2:13 PM

-Charley x

You could kill them if you like. I usually bring them back after the kids are raised and successful and as sweet revenge, kill them
Scholar
#7 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 10:32 PM

-Charley x

I don't know if it's all the people in the sim bin or just Samantha Ottomas, though. Apart from her I have never had anyone escape the sim bin. I think the reason for that is that she is in the Education career - the only sim bin resident to have a job, as far as I know. But then I hardly ever pay attention to passersby, etc, so I could be very wrong.

My newest downloads are on Simified.
Older downloads and stuff that didn't get transferred to Simified are on my Livejournal.
Say NO to ugly square shadows in TS3! Grab the fix today!
Test Subject
#8 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Engram
I don't know if it's all the people in the sim bin or just Samantha Ottomas, though. Apart from her I have never had anyone escape the sim bin. I think the reason for that is that she is in the Education career - the only sim bin resident to have a job, as far as I know. But then I hardly ever pay attention to passersby, etc, so I could be very wrong.

The Newton kids that came with AL have been escaping my sim bin for ages. I'm bloody tired of them constantly coming home from school with my kids. The little boy in the other AL family (forgot his name) does the same thing.

And the Traveler family from BV are notorious for escaping the sim bin in my game as well.

This challenge looks interesting. I already have too many challenges on my plate right now but this one seems like fun. I've only ever had a teenager raise a baby by himself once and that was hard, never mind with more than one child to raise. But that's why it's a challenge
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 1:57 AM
all my sims are teens, and the eldest(started out as teen) is aging into an adult, just have to get her to platinum.
it was really hard at first, the teen was always hungry/exhausted. and her grades got pretty bad, but she manged to keep her job, and get them back up. after the child aged into teen, it was a lot eaiser. they live in a small townhouse, and had a hard time scraping together rent the first time after parents had left. i kind of did a story, if i have time maybe i'll post it somewhere, or upload to sims2 site.
fun challenge. short enough to keep my attention, and see the end in sight. but challenging enough to make me want to keep playing. =D

#10 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 2:56 AM
I'm excited to start this challenge! It seems fun!
Forum Resident
#11 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 3:25 AM
I have a question... I thought we could only adopt children no babies, so how do I adopt a baby?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 3:33 AM
You can adopt babies. I've gotten the choice.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 3:35 AM
Hmm I am gonna go try it right now.
Scholar
#14 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 3:42 AM
I've never tried adoption so I can't help you there, but you can always get the mum pregnant using the Tombstone of L and D, then also use the Tombstone option to Speed Up My Pregnancy and she should give birth within a couple of hours. I think there's also an option of New Baby Female, New Baby Male, etc, on the Tombstone, which gives you an instant baby. I think you can do the same things with the InSimenator if you have that. It's just debug mode in object form so it has pretty much the same options as debug mode.

I'm actually going to be playing the Newton kids in one of my hoods (the only hood where I let the bin families spawn before putting in empty templates) so I will kind of be doing this challenge - except with 2 teens, 2 children and 2 toddlers and no infants! LOL I'll give this a go when I finish a couple of my other challenges, though. Sounds like fun

Fantasyrogue - I tend not to have bin families because of clean and empty hood templates. I think Seasons was the last time I actually had a bin family! Makes sense for the bin kids to come home with playables, though. But I don't think the bin families just walk around the neighborhood and Samantha Ottomas, being the only one in a career, is probably the only one to come home from work with anyone. But as I said, I don't let them spawn in the first place so the Ottomas family from Seasons were the only ones I ever experienced doing this way back when that EP first came out.

My newest downloads are on Simified.
Older downloads and stuff that didn't get transferred to Simified are on my Livejournal.
Say NO to ugly square shadows in TS3! Grab the fix today!
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 3:51 AM
I've never seen the bin families do walkbys (although I admit I don't always pay attention to my walkbys). Like I said, I do recall having one of the Traveler adults show up a lot, though could have been through their kid coming home from school with one of my playable kids. I've seen Sanjay Ramaswami come home from work with sims too, he has a job in the.. music(?) career. I should probably have cleared my bin families myself, I'm getting so tired of the Newton kids coming home with my sims but they have memories now so getting rid of them would be a pain.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 4:38 AM
Ok so I tried to adopt and it said this: "are you sure you want to adopt a child" so I clicked no and tried again and it was the same thing. Do I need a hack or something for it?

I think I am gonna try it your way Engram but with Insim since I have it.
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cavilez1987
Ok so I tried to adopt and it said this: "are you sure you want to adopt a child" so I clicked no and tried again and it was the same thing. Do I need a hack or something for it?

No, they ask that but whent he social worker arrives, you will be given the option to chose "Baby", "Toddler" or "Child". When you make the call (and you must have 3,000 simoleans in funds in oder to adopt), the social worker comes the following day at 10 am. You can send your kids to school (with the exception of the toddler obviously) and you should have a nanny home with the toddler while you are gone from school. The social worker will give the baby to nanny.

Hope that all makes sense.
Scholar
#18 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 10:23 PM
Oh I wanna try!
#19 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 11:32 PM
I'm definately willing to try this! This will be my first challenge! I don't usually do these, But I'm gonna give it a go. I'll take pictures when I'm done.
#20 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 5:15 AM
I'm off now to begin this challenge! I love quick chyallenges and because I only have to go till the oldest is ready for college, it'll be a good quick one! Thanks Tess, I'll let you know how I go!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 11th Oct 2008 at 3:34 PM
well, my family is all grown up! The teen, child, and toddler are married. the teen and child have kids, and the baby recently aged into adult.

Forum Resident
#22 Old 14th Oct 2008 at 2:07 AM
Hmm, I might actually try this myself, shouldn't be too hard, I usually make foods leftovers so the child can feed herself and everything, the toddler will be a pain thought, but the baby is a little easier (They seem to go hours without a drink despite the toddlers don't), when I am done with Destiny's line (The family I am playng) I might take the challenge.

My Sims 3 Random Legacy Challenge: The Amberstones
http://amberstonelegacy.blogspot.com.au/
Forum Resident
#23 Old 15th Oct 2008 at 9:16 PM
I like this challenge. I will definitely play this. I like the fact the parents don't have to die. I never kill my sims, except once when a challenge called for it. I really hated it. The poor dad starving in a locked bathroom! Oh well... I'll be back with pictures and story when I have completed it.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 15th Oct 2008 at 11:38 PM
I just started the challenge and reread the instructions. You see the dreamcatcher as a hack or cheat? Is that because not everyone would have it? And rewards objects such as smart milk and the thinking cap are not allowed? That makes training the tots and getting into college a lot harder. Oh well, it can be done.
Does oldest child mean the teen or the child you start with? (for getting a scholarship?)
Original Poster
#25 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 9:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ciane
I just started the challenge and reread the instructions. You see the dreamcatcher as a hack or cheat? Is that because not everyone would have it? And rewards objects such as smart milk and the thinking cap are not allowed? That makes training the tots and getting into college a lot harder. Oh well, it can be done.
Does oldest child mean the teen or the child you start with? (for getting a scholarship?)

I see the Dream catcher as a cheat because it generates extra cash. I also excluded reward objects. I personally thought it was more challenging to play the family without help from objects. It's your challenge to modify as you want. Maybe you can try both ways?

When I refer to the oldest child, I do mean teen that is the oldest in the family.

Have fun!
Page 1 of 2