|Search this Thread|
|27th Dec 2017, 11:17 PM||Having trouble cloning Wachowt Sliding glass door #1|
I'm trying to make a new sliding door, and logic dictates to clone the Wachowt. So I clone it, and the only alterations I have made are new GUIDs and a mesh change to the handle of the left north frame mesh, then I put it in my game to test that I have a working door before proceeding.
I've re-cloned it and repeated this simple test procedure using all combinations of cloning options and keep getting the same two results:
1. I open a lot and go to build mode, find the door and it has a nice thumbnail, the description, but no thumbnails for the recolor subsets. When I choose it to place in the game, nothing happens- like there is no object at all.
2. I find the door in build mode, and the recolorable subsets are showing correctly, and I have a door to move around and place. It places fine, and I can see the alteration I made to the handle, BUT...
(A) one side ( I think the south side - it's the side of the tile that has no arrow) is either invisible or hidden inside the wall, and
(B) there is only one green tile indicator (at the origin) instead of four.
I've been searching through the documentation and here in the forums, but I don't see anything that resembles this, or gives a reason for it. My question is: Is there something weird about this object that is preventing it from being cloned or remeshed? I notice that there aren't too many sliding door meshes out there, and the ones that do exist are one-tiled and don't seem to be cloned from the wachowt.
|27th Dec 2017, 11:47 PM||#2|
Nope, it's a normal object and does clone fine.
1 - When getting new GUIDs, are you using the update MMAT button? If so, are you doing this with ONLY the main OBJD? When cloning an object, generally you only have the original colors, no additional recolors.
2 - The invisible or parts inside the wall are due to the mesh being in the wrong place. Doors/windows meshes are off set and are placed correctly in game using the CRES. It sounds like you may have imported the north side into the south side GMDC.
« EA Sims 2 Store Items » | « EA Pre-Order Incentives » | « Pet Stories » | | Castaway Stories
Maxis Match -- IKEA Extras -- Holy Simoly Add-ons -- Overrides and Defaults
« 4esf Archive » | « Holy Simoly Archive » | « Sims2Artists » | « tumblr »
If you enjoy the content on s2a or GoS, consider donating to support hosting costs.
|28th Dec 2017, 12:29 AM||#3|
Thanks for the reply.
1- yes, I'm pretty certain that I did this part correctly: Only the main GUID is used to update the MMATs ( checked to make sure the GUID for that OBJD matched all the existing MMATs before making any changes).
2- That is possible, and visually, is exactly what looks like happened. I will double-check all the mesh names in my blender files to be sure. Still, I don't understand why my object is going from 4 tiles to only one, when the only thing I've done to the OBJDs is change GUID.
|29th Dec 2017, 11:44 AM||#4|
Why don't you try this with milkshape rather than bender
|29th Dec 2017, 6:33 PM||#5|
ah.. so there is maybe some joint info that is not translating right with Blender?
I don't have Milkshape, but I'll look into it if no other solution pops up.
ETA: I double-checked everything and the GUIDs are correct. The misplaced mesh was easy enough to fix - seems the Maxis origin is in a different spot than my default "set origin to cursor". Still having trouble with the footprint tiles, which I'm now thinking could be a format miscommunication, thanks to AdonisPluto.
The Milkshape was a dead end, as there were no joints except in the CRES. AFter several days of troubleshooting, It finally hit me (again) that this problem had to center on the OBJD somehow, and the only thing I had touched there was the GUID, so I scoured my downloads folder for conflicting GUIDs. Sure enough, I had left some duplicate fences in the testing folder with the same numbers.
I had read earlier that fences could share GUIDs with objects, which is why I didn't record them to avoid reusing the numbers. Evidently, this doesn't hold true for doors ( and probably a few other build objects). So, got it sorted out and built a humongous spreadsheet of all the GUID and other information for all my CC, finished and testing, to avoid future conflicts.