Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 11:19 AM
Creating a large worlds with different climate zones, is this possible in the sims 3?
this may be a bit hard to explain but I was thinking about creating a huge world/region in the sims 3, and there's some custom stuff i wanted to do for it, but im wondering if this is all possible and if it is, how do i do it.

1.) Is there a limit on how large a sims 3 world can be? or is it like simcity 4 where you can create gigantic regions as long as your computer can handle it?

2.) I have sims 3 seasons. is there a way i could change the temperatures in different parts of the world? for example, in the southern part of the region during winter, it's warm and sunny but in the central and northern parts of the world, it's cold and snowy? if so, how can i do this?

3.) also, is there a way i could get the sims to stay on one part of the town? for example if i have a sim girl living in the south side of the world, she will never go to the northern or central side of the world and she'll always stay in the south (as in if i have another sim living in the north side of town, he will never see her out in public in the north side of town at all, unless he goes to the south side of town to find her). is there a mod or anything that can make me control where certain sims appear?

in all honesty, i was going to have the world be like the GTA san andreas map in a way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmFBJXX5mCY

have a cold region with mountains and snow in the north side of the world. have a desert region in the west side of the world, have a forest region in the east side of the world, and then have it all connecting to a separate tropical island in the south part of the world. BUT i was also going to add racial diversity to the whole world but kind of in a separated way, I wanted elf sims with elf ears to live on the tropical island and not appear anywhere else on the map besides there, pale-skinned sims to live in the cold mountain regions and not appear anywhere else on the map besides there, tanned/dark sims to live in the desert and not appear anywhere else on the map besides there, and normal/miscellaneous sims to live in the central part and eastern forest and not appear anywhere else on the map besides there UNLESS i control them manually to have them explore the world (not sure if that all made sense but i hope you guys understand).

please help <3
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 4:49 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 27th Dec 2016 at 12:19 AM.
I have heard others have similar ideas have been suggested to use nraas traveller. If you still want to have it all on one map, you could have it on a map and then put a divice in each corner.

You might run into costume problems as well. It should be possible, but it depends on what you can live with.

It will be a big project, and to clarify 1 thing: the biggest world in sims3 is 2048x2048. You can't do much about that, but then mid to low range computers can't even handle that.

For a project that size you will have to think about performance all the time in your design. How to "make small look big" more or less.

Edit: with divice I was thinking like make a lot and have it a different climate might be possible with a mod, but it's probably not what you're looking for, it might also add on lag for the game you play in that world, and add potential bugs.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 26th Dec 2016 at 10:22 PM
To answer no 2, that is probably not possible in the way you describe. You can make the different regions look like they had different climate zones (e.g. use snow terrain paint or desert ones). But they will all have the same weather - temperature, seasons, rain etc.

For no 3, that might be possible in a limited way with the extensive use of NRAAS Castes, Go here mod, certain cc that prevents entering lots... I don't think that all of this can be applied to more than lots though, i.e. not for "regions" of the map. Maybe if you made them all islands and make sure that no routes apply for traveling between them. Sims could only teleport then to other places. But again, this doesn't sound like what you try to achieve.

Volvenom's suggestion to use NRAAS Traveler might give you more satisfying results than trying to fit everything into one world.
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Dec 2016 at 2:03 AM
Agree with above, Nraas Traveler is probably the easiest way to go here. You could create three or four small worlds, each with the settings you'd like. I'm not 100% certain how it works, having only played around with it a little bit, but you might even be able to show distant views of the other zones using distant terrain in CAW.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Dec 2016 at 10:09 PM
I have and have used Traveler and it works well. I would agree. Make individual small worlds and use that.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 10:22 AM
Ok. i havent gotten traveler yet, but im going to try working with that. seems like an interesting but very complex mod but it shouldnt be too difficult to work with.
Also, the last thing i have a question about is story progression. If i send a sim to travel and visit another world, will the story progression between the worlds still be going on?
as in if i play as one world for 10 days, 10 days will still pass in the other worlds?