Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 3:53 AM
Default New mesh made from scratch is solid white, UV mapped texture not showing
I am trying to create a new object with a brand new mesh and texture. Eventually I'd like to turn it into a hairstyle--but for now I just want to get all the components working together in the same object. After five hours I'm still having the same problem.

I made a new mesh in Milkshape, UV mapped it, and exported the mesh for Sims 2. I made a test object by copying a deco object that I knew worked, replaced its mesh and texture with my new ones, and tried to preview the mesh in SimPE. But when I try to preview the GMDC the mesh is displayed as solid white with some basic shading only--not the detailed texture I imported. The texture itself looks fine if I view it on its own, so I know it was imported correctly, but it seems that the texture is not being applied to the mesh?

After reading tutorials like this one it seems pretty clear that what I'm trying to do is possible. And I could understand if there was something else I had to do to make it all work... but I have looked and looked and cannot find anyone asking about the same problem, or any tutorial that covers this subject that mentions an extra step I haven't done. What haven't I done, or what might I have done wrong?
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 4:22 AM
When you imported your mesh, did you keep the name of the group (subset) the same? Say the original group was "wood", you need to keep that the same or the link between the mesh and the texture will be broken and won't show.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Dec 2016 at 2:01 PM
Aha! That's exactly what it was.

The test object's group had been named "sculpture" but in the model it was called "frame", since the reference object I'd used to get the size and position right had itself been cloned from a pair of sunglasses... I borrowed its name just to be tidy, but didn't realize it would be important that it match other things. I changed the subset name to match the rest of the test object, and now the GMDC preview is displaying the correct texture. Thank you so much!